Topic: Juan Martin Del Potro

I can't stop raving about the guy, but then I do have a tendancy to become very obsessive about a particular player!

So what do other people think? Does he have the potential to get some more grand slams under his belt? Will he climb the rankings significantly over the next year?

I personally think he's an exciting tennis player who seems like a very lovely guy, someone who has the potential to blow things up in the top 3 in the next few years. I think he could become a true champion, the potential is certainly there.

So: tennis superstar? or one hit wonder? (standing at 6ft 7in Im not sure many people would that pose that question to his face, but at least we are safe here on the forums wink )

Re: Juan Martin Del Potro

del potro is probably the biggest breakout tennis star of the year no doubt. life will go on after federer and nadal though they are some of the best ot ever play the game. del potro proved at the u.s. open that rafa roger are not the only big players on the circuit.

He is amazing, and I think will have gain a lot of fans if he does well in 2010.

del potro is on fire. tho he may have lost at the world tour finals, he is still at the top of his game. he will go far this year

ahh potro is like doing alot better than thought...ur faith in him paid off lol..

Unfortunate injury he had though.

Ok, who saw Del Potro lose last night to Hewitt? Was that crazy or what? Del won the second and third sets but then lost the first and last two to Hewitt. Is this just a minor bump in the rode or what?

Last edited by jolivegarden (Aug. 31, 2013 11:41am)

Well it looked like he was hitting more one-handed sliced backhands than usual, turning around his backhand a lot... That could mean his left wrist could be a little injured. He was only a shadow of himself yesterday but props to Hewitt for making him play that poorly.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

I had Hewitt beating him in my bracket but was not confident enough to put Hewitt on my team. Del Potro has been quite good this year but I had a feeling he was going to get upset early. I did look like his wrist was bothering him, if that was the case I think he wins that match if he was 100%

Del Potro has had a very good year 2017, going so far as to reach the number 11 in the year end ranking. Undoubtedly the best result of this season was the semifinal reached in the USOpen, coming 24 in the seeding. In this tournament, after win his first three games without losing a set, he faced in the Fourth Round to Dominic Thiem, overcoming a disadvantage 0-2, gaining the last three sets, one of them in tie break. Then in Quarterfinals he beat Federer in 4 sets in an interesting play, to reach the semifinal, where he fell down vs Nadal. The debate re-lives through this result if he will be capable of reaching another title of Grand Slam. I think that if he stays free of injuries, can come and be supported this year inside the Top 10, but it will not be an easy task, since this year there return several players of high level who of course will claim its position inside this select group of the ten first ones. Let's wait for the beginning of the season and then let's continue with the topic.

Del Potro is NOT a real champion because Federer let Del Potro
win the 2009 US Open, Lexus-GF!!!

You see after defeating Djokovic in straight sets in the semis of
the 2009 US Open the sponsors told Federer to let Del Potro win the
final!!! Federer already had won 2 majors in 2009 and the sponsors
wanted to increase the global audience of Tennis and create more
fans in an emerging market in South America thus the reason the
Argentinian Del Potro was given the 2009 US Open!!!

I mean......come on......Federer defeated Djokovic in straight sets
and led Del Potro 2 sets to 1 in the final and then just gave Del Potro
the last 2 sets!!!

Obviously......it is very easy for anyone to understand that Djokovic is
superior to Del Potro in every category thus the reason Federer would
have defeated Del Potro very easily had he NOT be told to lose the 2009
US Open final before the final!!!

Last edited by sneaky (Dec. 18, 2017 9:30pm)

I´m surprised sneaky, you have a conspiracy theory for everything, first Nadal, now Del Potro. Really I believe that Federer didn´t have any need to satisfy the sponsors, to win what? already in this time he was #1 of the world and I don´t believe that he takes part in arrangements like that one that you say.

Yes......I do believe in some conspiracy theories but they are NOT without merit, Lexus-GF.

You see the brains of the ATP are extremely motivated to increase the total number of
fans/TV audience/viewership and will do anything to make that happen!!! Since the late 1990's
the ATP has increased its global audience with the help of social media but also by promoting
the "marquee players" much better!!! Please do NOT be fooled.......Federer does throw some
matches to sometimes create a "new champion" (Del Potro) and other times just to create a
much-needed burst of publicity for the ATP. Clever marketing is used to sell Tennis to the fans
and the fans eat it up!!!

IMO......Del Potro and Wawrinka are "manufactured champions".......meaning they were given
there wins to create more fans in South America (Del Potro) and Wawrinka was given his to
create another champion in the wealthy Western part of Europe!!!

It is easy to believe because the ATP especially in the last 12 years have increased the global
sport of Tennis enormously!!! I mean you have to admit........Del Potro is a good player for a
big guy but really NOT a threat to the top players!!! The last 2 sets of the 2009 US Open Mens
Final was really Federer giving Del Potro easy swings of the forehand without making him run
thus letting him win the match!!!

Wawrinka won his 3 majors late in his career at 29, 30, and 31!!! Why? Well......IMO those wins
were given to him to create another champion from Switzerland/Western Europe (they represent
the wealthy part of Europe that loves Tennis)!!! Wawrinka is a good player but very inconsistent
and is NOT really much of a threat to the top players!!!! I remember Wawrinka played Federer
in the Masters Series Monte Carlo final a few years ago!!! In that match Federer was leading by
a set and a break and then let Wawrinka win the match in 3 sets!!! You see Federer could have
easily won that match but was told to lose it to create more buzz/publicity for Tennis. Federer NOT
only creates publicity when he wins but he also creates reputations for players when he lets them
beat him to create more fans for Tennis!!!

Sneaky, I appreciate that you have your opinion on this kind of stuff and you do write some interesting stuff, however IMO the ATP and WTA is not WWE. wink

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

I am just giving my opinion on this subject and it does indeed have merit, Tono.

The "marquee players" (Federer/Nadal/Djokovic) are paid to win matches but they are
also paid to keep the ATP popular!!! You are correct the ATP is NOT the WWE but it is a
huge media driven global business that is motivated by money!!!

I am a 30+ year fan of Tennis and have rolled my eyes at the result of some matches that
have taken place over the years!!! I blame it on greed and the motivation to pander to the
fans today to keep the sport interesting!!!

Last edited by sneaky (Dec. 19, 2017 6:13pm)

Hey Sneaky. If you were the atp in 2013/2014 and wanted to rig the competition to make a lot of bucks, would you really pick wawrinka? A 30 years old swiss (and there is already a swiss superstar) without much charism? Europe is outragely dominating tennis. If I were them, i would have picked nishikori to get the asian market. Or raonic or isner/querrey for north america. There is a lot of money there and no big players.

If you really wanted a western European, a french/ german / Italian would have been better. Just saying.

I see your point I thought the same thing it is hard for me to believe
that Nishikori has NOT won a major being so popular in the asian
market!!! However.....Wawrinka may NOT have much charisma but
he has many fans even before his 3 major wins probably due to his
super aggressive game!!!

Your made a good point about possibly making Nishikori a champion
but NOT Raonic/Isner/Querrey for North America!!! You see the European
market is much more lucrative than North America because Tennis
has stronger roots in Europe thus the reason television viewership,
sponsorship, and fan participation is much stronger in Europe!!!

Wawrinka is linked to Federer........meaning many Federer fans are likely
also fans of Wawrinka. So it is true that Wawrinka does NOT have much
charisma and is close to the end of his career but his wins have an impact
especially in Europe!!!

Why NOT a French/German/Italian? In the years ahead I think at least two
out of the 3 nationalities will have a major champion, Adunar.

IMO.....Lucas Pouille and Alexander Zverev will win majors giving France
its 1st major champion since Noah in 1983 and Zverev the 1st German since
Becker in the 1990's.

The US may have a chance with Tiafoe and Canada with Shapavalov in a few
years but there is NO need to make Raonic/Isner/Querrey a champion because
those 3 are good decent players but will NOT create a huge buzz of publicity in
the US!!! The US loves its team sports and television over here is IMO saturated
with reality tv (nonsense) thus the reason many people are preoccupied with nonsense!!!

Adunar wrote:

Hey Sneaky. If you were the atp in 2013/2014 and wanted to rig the competition to make a lot of bucks, would you really pick wawrinka? A 30 years old swiss (and there is already a swiss superstar) without much charism? Europe is outragely dominating tennis. If I were them, i would have picked nishikori to get the asian market. Or raonic or isner/querrey for north america. There is a lot of money there and no big players.

If you really wanted a western European, a french/ german / Italian would have been better. Just saying.

Ha Ha Arnie, stop using logic

Yoda Cups: Roland Garros 15, 18, 20; Wimbledon 17; US Open 20; Yoda Guru 2021
Obi Wan Master 16, 17 Lord Vader 15
Han Solo Captain 19
Player of the Year 17

Wawrinka wasntt really better than raonic nishikori isner or querrey back then. Ans the european market was already golden with fed rafa murray and nole. Just doesnt make much sense to me.

Adunar........it is a FACT that the Swiss Indoors event is the most successful 500 event
on the tour!!! Obviously, Federer brings all the fans but I think Federer's popularity
might increase Wawrinka's but then again it may just be my opinion!!!

I agree Wawrinka is NOT much better than Raonic/Nishikori/Isner/Querrey but he IMO
comes from a very wealthy tennis-rich part of Europe that the ATP want to maximize!!

Well it is just my opinion and IMO it is kind of interesting to hear the different opinions
of my fellow Tennis fans on this forum!!!  We are both big fans of tennis and I rate your
opinion very high Adunar and appreciate your feedback!!! The upcoming 2018 season
should be very interesting!!!

Last edited by sneaky (Dec. 20, 2017 5:42pm)

Well, you are 100% right. If it was fixed purely for money, Andy Roddick would be a multiple slam winner, Ryan Harrison would be in the top ten.
Yes, there is a hell of a lot of money in sport these days and that makes cheating more likely.
But fixed slams is total nonsense.

Yoda Cups: Roland Garros 15, 18, 20; Wimbledon 17; US Open 20; Yoda Guru 2021
Obi Wan Master 16, 17 Lord Vader 15
Han Solo Captain 19
Player of the Year 17

I used Del Potro and Wawrinka as examples of possible match fixing and gave
reasons that have merit IMO!! However, I guess it is also could be true that they
were legitimate matches!!! It is always good to keep an open mind as to the
validity of all matches!!!

I beg to differ on the notion that fixing matches is total nonsense though because
Tennis is a global sport with a massive audience!!!

Del Potro and Wawrinka are two major champions that possibly were given there
wins to create more fans (viewers, fans, tv audience) in the South American market
and maximize in the Western European market!!! Fact or Fiction? Who knows but it is
always good to keep an open mind and worthy of discussion IMO!!!

Last edited by sneaky (Dec. 20, 2017 5:18pm)

Another very recent example of match fixing IMO is Federer's last match of
2017!!! Federer mysteriously lost to David Goffin in semis of WTF!!! I saw
the match and I would wager some good money that Federer let Goffin defeat
him in 3 sets after winning an easy 6-2 1st set over Goffiin!!!

Being a 6 time World Tour Final Champion......Federer likely was told to throw
that match to create a stronger storyline of a "1st time young champion."
I mean come on........you do NOT really believe that Federer actually lost to a
"Ferrer like counterpuncher" like David Goffin after having easily won the 1st
set 6-2!!!

You see winning the WTF for a 7th time would NOT resonate as loudly as having
a first time champion such as Goffin or Dimitrov!!!! It is pretty obvious to me that
Federer let Goffin win to create a new young champion thus creating more publicity
for tennis!!! Come on you all have to admit the Federer vs Goffin looked like an
exhibition and Federer just let Goffin get to the WTF finals!!! I mean come on
earlier in the week Dimitrov blasted Goffin off the court 6-0 6-2!!! LOL

Last edited by sneaky (Dec. 21, 2017 6:20pm)

Did you see the match? Did you see how well goffin played that week?

People see what they want to see and close their eyes to anything else.