Re: 2014 US Open Yoda Cup

I thoroughly dislike most aspects of women's tennis. I don't find it at all enjoyable to watch, but unfortunately you have to keep up with that side of things if you want to have a chance competing in Yoda.

TLS, I am curious. What specifically do you not like about women's tennis?

2019 RG Yoda Cup Co-Champion
2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

I will first tell you that I think one of the few strong points of the WTA right now is depth. I think that is being noticed right now in the US Open . The ATP doesn't quite have this kind of depth, but I think that perception can be slightly unfair as the top 3-4 men have been basically dominating the majority of the game for a long time now which makes it seem like very few people are making it up the ranks. The top 4 players over the last few years have been on an absolutely ridiculous level that makes those below them look more average than they really are.

So first takeaway: WTA is more competitive FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.

However, that is where my fascination with women's tennis ends.

At the end of the day, everybody is going to be different. It really is all about what you find enjoyable to watch.
In women's tennis, I don't get to watch anything close to the same physicality and variety as you will see from the men. I'm not saying all women lack variety in their games, but I believe most of them don't have it. My favorite player to watch is Radwanska. I find it a slight relief that not everybody on the WTA has to win by sheer power alone. I believe at some point someone is going to raise the level of women's tennis by being able to combine power and finesse in a way that will dismantle the one dimensional players such as Sharapova who simply have one plan: Overpower the opponent off the ground.

Quite upset about how Ivanovic and Pavlyuchenkova faired lol.

TLS, thanks for answering my question. If your favorite player on the women's side is Radwanska and you enjoy her for her variety, who is the male equivalent in the ATP?

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

I have to say that I am very pleased with my fantasy team (Fed, Djoker, Ferrer, Raonic, Murray, Monfils, Kohl, Goffin).  Despite losing Ferrer today, I'm in 27th place in the world! big_smile My dad is doing even better ("Game_Set_Match_Bruce") with his team (Fed, Djoker, Raonic, Dimitrov, Tsonga, Bautista Agut, Kohl, Goffin). He's in 18th place in the world!! This is definitely the best either of us have ever done!!

Last edited by Camdawg (Aug. 31, 2014 5:21pm)

Great work, Team Camdawg!

Yeah, good work Camdawg. You and your dad might drop a bit if Goffin loses tonight, but still its a tremendous effort.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Donut: Male equivalent is easy. Roger Federer. Pretty much nobody can make
an argument against him being the most versatile player in the men's game.
Take advantage of watching him while he is still around because when he leaves you will
not see that kind of ability for a very very long time.

Now, if we are looking for a directly similar player to Radwanska,  that is a more difficult task.
Radwanska has a mediocre serve and has nowhere near the same amount of power as most top
female players. I'd say her shot selection, court awareness, and movement are towards the top of
the women's game.

Finding a successful male player whose power and serve are lacking is hard. Really hard.
This isn't the best fit, but Gilles Simon comes to mind. Moves well and has insanely good
counterpunching ability. He gives players fits because of how he can manipulate an opponents power.
His serve is nowhere near imposing and he does not really possess raw power.

Last edited by the_lost_scot (Sep. 2, 2014 10:19am)

That's right Scotty. Gotta watch him as often as I can. But Rafa as well since he won't play much longer than Roger (maybe even less?).

So Scotty, what do you think of Bencic? I've been saying her name for a bit more than a year as she won both the French&Wimby Juniors' last year. She started on thw WTA tour in 2014, she entered the top100 in April (SF in Charleston), top60 in August and now will enter the top40 and maybe even better in September. I really liek her smart game. It's good to see this kind of play getting the better of more powerful opponents. Needless to say she reminds everyone of Martina Hingis. And she's only 17...

Last edited by Adunar (Sep. 2, 2014 10:19am)

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

IMHO the Serbian countries are producing the best tennis athletes now.  In the USA, the corporate hierarchy of the USTA is corrupt, greedy and lazy.  It is a direct by-product of literally Wall Street....I do not see us have ANY really contenders for another 10 years.  I was following Sloane Stephens on Facebook and it seems her generation is more interested in doing glamorous selfies than training and learning the game.  I think the Serbians are the most hungry for success.  And, my disclaimer as a cultural igno, I realize Serbians is too broad of term for some....but, I know what I mean. LOL

Yeah, "serbian countries".. that's not something Dragan would like. There is only ONE Serbian Country and it is Serbia. You can say Ex-Yougoslavia if you want tongue

But I agree that the players from Eastern Europe are very hungry and great athletes with mental toughness.

On a side note - vegastriguy has posted 52 times so is eligible to join the Yoda Crew!  CONGRATS & WELCOME big_smile

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

That's right, welcome aboard!!

BHP--2012-13-KING-DROID wrote:

On a side note - vegastriguy has posted 52 times so is eligible to join the Yoda Crew!  CONGRATS & WELCOME big_smile

FINALLY I get to hang out with the cool kids.  Thanks for being good neighbors.  smile

Last edited by vegastriguy (Sep. 2, 2014 10:26am)

Will you take care of debriefing our new crew member, Ad?

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Well, she is coached by Hingis' Mother, correct? I have not watched her play much, but I would say that there would have to be some similarities to Martina Hingis in there somewhere.

Funny enough, when I try to think of a similar player to Radwanska, I think of Hingis. Unfortunately,
Radwanska will not have near the amount of success in her career as Hingis.

I think we will be surprised by how long Nadal stays in the game. He may take more breaks like this one to nurse injuries, but I think he could stay in the game a while longer if he manages his schedule appropriately. However, there is a chance he could get a much more significant injury that ends his career. I would have to think that an injury on the same level as Del Potro's wrist would effectively end his career.

Yes Scotty, Melanie Molitor is her coach.

But Rafa doesn't know how to save energy. His game is about spending as much as he can in order to win the point. He will have to re-think his clay court schedule if he wants to stay longer on the ATP. Playing FOUR preparation events for the French in five weeks will be almost impossible to do in the future as he is getting older. But that means he will probably have to give up on the #1 Ranking..

@BHP: I don't have time now.. I give you the honors wink

Hahaha, I would careful with that generalization Vegastriguy. Serbians will not take too kindly to
references of "Serbian countries".

I wouldn't be so quick to count out the American women. There are some very capable players coming up through the ranks. The American men on the other hand....... Not so good.

Nadal's major possibilities are interesting now. If I had to rank his chances at the majors it would go as follows:

1. The Rafa Invitational (RG)
2. Australian Open
3. U.S. Open
4. Wimbledon

I list the Aussie as second because it is the first major of the year, and he is less likely to come in with serious injury after offseason rest and training. It is also slow outdoor hard court so that benefits him greatly.

Wimbledon is just not going to happen for him. He would need the draw gods to simply hand it to him at this point because all it takes is one big server/player on fire to knock him out.

Last edited by the_lost_scot (Sep. 2, 2014 10:40am)

the_lost_scot wrote:

Hahaha, I would careful with that generalization Vegastriguy. Serbians will not take too kindly to
references of "Serbian countries".

I wouldn't be so quick to count out the American women. There are some very capable players coming up through the ranks. The American men on the other hand....... Not so good.

OK....yes, I retract my ignorant comment....rephrased to EASTERN EUROPEAN.  My apologies if I did in fact offend anyone.

Welcome Vegas!!

Johnny_Incognito wrote:

Welcome Vegas!!

cool

Btw, you need to make stupid match picks so you stay in Beta. I'm not supposed to be alone at the bottom tongue

Johnny_Incognito wrote:

Btw, you need to make stupid match picks so you stay in Beta. I'm not supposed to be alone at the bottom tongue

Yea, I am not sure how I got so lucky in this Final....I promise to send you fresh food and beverages down to the basement.....hahhahahaha

But, you only had a glimpse of the basement....I do not think you ever sat in my janitors chair for this final....

LOL free food is always nice
I am in last right now in Beta, I need to gain some ground with the match picks so i don't get relegated to the toilet bowl