Topic: The 2014 US Open starts soon !

Hi everyone,

US Open starts in 10 days and the draw will be out next Thursday.
This edition brings a LOT of questions:

Can Novak bounce back after his very disappointing performances in Toronto and Cincinnati?
Will Rafa play? If so, how will his wrist handle the best-of-five matches?
Can Tsonga continue his killing spree?
Can Murray finally come back to his best at the last slam of the year?
Can Roger reach the final for the first time since 2009? (personal longest streak without reaching the final at a given GS)
Can the young guns Raonic and Dimitrov reach their maiden GS final? Nishikori?

On the women's side, it feels wide open. Serena isn't dominating tennis so much lately and Na Li is already out of the US Open.
Can Aggie, Bouchard, Halep win their first Grand Slam?
Can Kvitova find back her Wimbledon level?
Will Azarenka be able to play her best tennis again here?

I think both events couldn't be more open. Exciting time for tennis and I bet we will see MANY surprises during this 2014 event.

What are your thoughts?

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Re: The 2014 US Open starts soon !

Can Novak bounce back after his very disappointing performances in Toronto and Cincinnati?
-Yes, he'll be fine for the USO, but it's doubtful he'll be able to win it.

Will Rafa play? If so, how will his wrist handle the best-of-five matches?
-I'm leaning no, but it's not like Rafa doesn't know how to play through pain.

Can Tsonga continue his killing spree?
-Nope.  It's Tsonga.  Yes, he won Toronto in AMAZING fashion.  But...  it's TSONGA.

Can Murray finally come back to his best at the last slam of the year?
-Possible. I'm kinda getting tired of predicting that, though.

Can Roger reach the final for the first time since 2009?
-YES! GO ROGER!

Can the young guns Raonic and Dimitrov reach their maiden GS final? Nishikori?
-Dimitrov is in a weird head space. Raonic could definitely do it if his draw allows him to build up some steam.  Nishikori?  No way he's healthy or fit enough to win 7 matches in a row in the same tournament.

Can Aggie, Bouchard, Halep win their first Grand Slam?
-I hear Bouchard has a niggling injury.  Aggie?  Hm.  Doubtful.  She always seems to fall right at the summit.  Halep.  Definitely.  She's a legitimate contender in ever single tournament she plays.

Can Kvitova find back her Wimbledon level?
-Not a chance. For her sake, let's hope she doesn't draw Luksika Khumkhum in the first round again.

Will Azarenka be able to play her best tennis again here?
-She'll play, but nowhere near her best.  Maybe 50% of her best, and that's optimistic.

Besides those, I think we should be looking at Wawrinka, Berdych, Ivanovic, and Wozniacki.  All 4 are either starting to play VERY well or have a history of doing well at Flushing.  In the case of Wozniacki and Wawrinka, it's both.

-Arvis

Totally right Arvis about Woz and Wawa. Didn't want to have a question for every single player.

Berdych isn't playing great lately. I mean, he played well at the French and then lost a bit his game. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to take a WC in Winston Salem.

As for Rafa, he should decide today or tomorrow whether he plays or not... but I bet he will wait until he sees the draw.

He's practicing in Mallorca right now, so... I think he'll play.

-Arvis

That's what she said. I mean, he's practicing in order to see how the wrist handles the backhand.. he's been testing it for a couple days... he also did that with his knees back in 2009 before Wimbledon. I don't think it means anything at all but that he's trying everything he can. I wouldn't be surprised if he withdraws at the very last moment, like once the GSFT and FTT picks are closed or something tongue

Berdych is playin awful right now Arvis but please by all means put him on your USO team big_smile

Novak will continue losing early, I don't believe he will suddenly come out of his slump just because its a GS.
Rafa won't play and if he does he will be gone early too.
Tsonga is a pile of garbage tongue
This is going to be Wawrinka and Murrays shot at the title I believe with some new faces in the quarters, maybe even the semis.
Federer has an Excellent chance for another title.
Raonic and Dimitrov have the skill but I doubt its going to happen this time, Glass Nishikori will get injured or not even play.

Don't care much for the women's side except for Radwanska of course big_smile and she will win!

Draw ceremony taking place tomorrow! Looks like it will take place at 12 pm ET. I probably won't be able to attend it nor see the draw until the next morning.

Last edited by Adunar (Aug. 20, 2014 9:02am)

A little off topic....I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 and Firefox....it seems in the newest version of FF, the CSS for this site is now off a little bit?  I cannot seem to go all the way to the top.....it renders fine in Chrome....just wondered if anyone else had issues....it iis ok, I just navigate from the bottom now.

Johnny_Incognito wrote:

This is going to be Wawrinka and Murrays shot at the title I believe with some new faces in the quarters, maybe even the semis.
Federer has an Excellent chance for another title.

I agree....I still think Novak will be a contender....but, hey, Roddick was oh so close to coming back for a doubles win. hhahahhahahahah