Re: Official Wimbledon Fantasy Site

Yes, I think it's possible to join late... I joined the league Don set up late, but I think I may be missing the first day's points... will see if it corrects that...

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

I doubt it, but I will try DC. Thanks.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

Thanks DC. I just joined clone wars. BTW, who is Ali G?

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

The Rules page isn't very clear about the transfers. You can transfer 5 times each round but points for those players won't count until the next day if matches have already begun. But do you keep the points your previous players have earned or do you lose those if you transfer them away?

It's all about as clear as mud. I had Thiem who lost yesterday and I swopped him for Bencic who seems to have scored points today.
Meanwhile I've got Murray who apparently scored 28 pts for 'mind' I.e. Got 4 break points. Surely he got more than 4 break points when he won 6-0 6-1 7-5????????

2018 Roland Garros Yoda Cup, Year End #3
2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup

TennisElbow wrote:

It's all about as clear as mud. I had Thiem who lost yesterday and I swopped him for Bencic who seems to have scored points today.
Meanwhile I've got Murray who apparently scored 28 pts for 'mind' I.e. Got 4 break points. Surely he got more than 4 break points when he won 6-0 6-1 7-5????????

Hm Murray won with 6-1, 6-4, 7-5 and broke serve 4 times so 4*7 = 28 seems correct. I have Bencic for "Mind" and have 35 points for her 5 breaks of serve.

I had Thiem too but now that he's lost I need to swap him out for next round, but not sure if I'll keep the points or not.

Looks like you keep the points when you swap, so it'll be pretty important to use swaps whenever a player goes out but also somehow time your picks so you can get good players for two rounds in a row then swap back to another later on.

So despite TE not knowing scores, he's actually doing amazing in this competition.  Really, destroying the rest of us.

-Arvis

Am I?
*Runs off to check the scores in excitement*

2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year

ROFL

OK, please correct me if I'm wrong, but in hindsight, the thing to do is pick 4 players who play on day one, then swap them for 4 players who play on day two, etc. Since I haven't and the rest of you probably haven't done this, we're screwed.

TennisElbow wrote:

OK, please correct me if I'm wrong, but in hindsight, the thing to do is pick 4 players who play on day one, then swap them for 4 players who play on day two, etc. Since I haven't and the rest of you probably haven't done this, we're screwed.

Well kinda, there are only 5 swaps per round, so if you use up 4 swaps from Day One to Day Two, that's still in Round 1 and then you only have 1 more swap left going into Round 2. You could then use 3 more swaps before the first match starts in Round 2 to but then only 2 more remaining for the second day of Round 2. Thus eventually this kind of cycle won't allow for complete player changes from day to day.

Thus the optimal strategy has to be picking players that play Day 1, then keeping them if you think they'll also do well in Round 2, or swapping them out for more suitable players for whatever category in Day Two that also have the potential to do well in Round 2 without the need to swap. And especially swap out players that have lost so you at least get someone who can score points the next day.

So yeah ideally you want all 4 of your slots (not including the wildcard player that you don't want to swap to forego the bonus points) to be players that are in action every single day but there aren't enough swaps to do so sad But not changing any of them is also a loss in points. I definitely messed up by not swapping out Thiem yesterday, who did earn 38 points even though he lost, but wouldn't have been playing on Day Two either way so should have chosen someone like Lajovic who could have earned an additional 100+ points in addition to the 38 in the Net Play slot.

Last edited by Thexc (Jun. 24, 2014 5:43pm)

So I guess the ideal start had to be something like this:

First round: All 5 players should be ones that play on Day One, and they'll earn points whether they win or lose. If they lose, swap out for another player that plays on Day Two, but keep some that you think will do well in that slot in Round 2. Definitely must keep the Wildcard player in order to earn the bonus points.

Second round: If any swaps are still leftover from Round 1, use them before Round 2 starts since swaps can't be transferred between rounds. Have as many players (up to 4) that play on the first day of Round 2 as you can, and at end of Day Three, swap out ones that lose with players on second day of Round 2 or players you think will do well in Round 3 first day.

And all of that has to stay within budget...

I don't get it. I'll stick with GSFT.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Ok, so I should swap out the 4 players that aren't my wild card every day?

-Arvis

Arvis wrote:

Ok, so I should swap out the 4 players that aren't my wild card every day?

-Arvis

Essentially but you only have 5 swaps per round (per every two days) so you won't be able to do that, but if you think a player that will be playing the next day has a great shot at scoring you points then it's worth it, and definitely swap if any of your players is out of the tournament. You can also swap so that one of your players will play well the next day AND in the next round so you can save some swaps. There's no way to have all active players for all slots every day, so some players will just not be netting points every other day.

Another thing is their budget point pricing is only based on last year's form so there are definitely great deals like Vesely for only 50 points. I should have looked more closely at all the possible options but really just too much work haha.

Sam Groth only cost 50 points, should have picked him for the Serve slot...

Last edited by Thexc (Jun. 25, 2014 12:13am)

OK yes I agree with all of this Thexc.
Basically, you have 5 swops every 2 days. Use them or lose them.

But don't swap out the wild card.

Tono is leading with 619 points! Whoever picked Dolgopolov for Power and Serve categories in the first two rounds would have gotten at least 200 points just from him.

This is way too much thinking for a one-event game. I'll keep going but I don't want to spend too much time on this..

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Woof.  I'm doing terribly. tongue

I think I'm starting to figure this out a little, though. I wish we could see who everyone else is using in each category, though.  Although I guess it would be too easy to just mimic what your closest competition is doing once you have a lead.

EDIT: I made some big changes now and I have a super-secret weapon that's sure to net me tons of points. smile

-Arvis

Last edited by Arvis (Jun. 27, 2014 11:11am)

Haha Arvis, I look forward to seeing it at the end of the event if you are willing to reveal!

Arnaud, yeah it's a lot of work but the chance of winning real prizes is not too bad. Though I definitely didn't start off right so already no chance, but I'm sure it's mostly luck still.

Don has flown into the lead!  I wonder how he did it?

-Arvis

I would love to know how people have managed over 2000 points! I ended up sacrificing the Mind category so I could pick Raonic for the serve category. He's earned 210 points this round.