Topic: The French Open starts soon...

Hello everyone,

I'd like to continue the tradition as the French Open starts now in 10 days.

Both Men and Women competition look more difficult to predict than the previous years.

Men's:

Rafa is the huge favorite, once again. But his "very average" (by HIS standards only of course) clay court season makes it difficult to believe it will be a smooth party for him. If he can bring his A game, nothing will stop him from a 9th title. But his mental toughness seems to be a bit lower lately.
Novak can take it all if his wrist doesn't bother him. It's no secret he's made this event his #1 priority in 2014. He is the only one who can beat a brilliant Rafa on clay. But Stan and Roger both know very well how to beat him so must be very careful if he wants to face Rafa on the 3rd Sunday.
Stan is the man and plays just fine on clay. A threat to ANYONE.
Roger is always dangerous, even here on clay. Though it is very unlikely for him to beat Rafa there, he can upset anyone else in straight sets.
Berdych and Ferrer are underdogs here but they could both benefit from a good draw or an early big upset. They are both capable of beating a top seed on a good day, but probably not two in a row.
Underdogs: Murray is yet to find his form but if he can find his game back, he can be dangerous. Dimitrov, Nishikori and Raonic proved that they are reliable and solid clay court players in 2014. Tsonga and Gasquet are out of form but playig at home might really help them in a deep run. Finally, Fognini is the mad joker here: he can lose his first match in straight or make some serious damage and even reach the semies.. Gulbis, Cilic, Almagro are all capable of ousting a top player on a good day.

Any other ideas here?

Women's:

Serene is the favorite once again, no doubt about it. If she can win Rome, her confidence will be sky high and she might be impossible to stop.
Maria is on a great run on clay so far. She was tired in Rome but managed to win both Stuttgart and Madrid. Definitely one of the top favorites.
Na Li has won the French before and only lost to Maria in Madrid. Best player of the year so far.
Aggie is a bit up and down but seemed to have lifted up her game lately on clay. If she can have a good draw, she can go very deep, why not to the title match?
Errani is a strong clay court player, Kvitova is always dangerous. Then there is Halep. A bit fragile but she's capable of beating anyone on any surface. She's on her way to the top and there aren't many players that can stop her if she is on a roll.
Finally, both Jankovic and Ivanovic have shown great tennis on clay lately and both know who to do well at the French.

So who is your favorite player to win the French Open this year? I'm asking this BEFORE the draw comes out and before the end of the Rome tournament so that you don't feel revealing all your tactics before the Yoda Cup wink

Which underdogs will go the farthest?
Which top seeds will fall early?
Can Stan finally beat Rafa on clay?
Will Novak win his Maiden Roland Garros title?
Can Halep or Radwanska clinch their very first GS title?

Feel free to share guys!

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, UFTR year-end #1, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Re: The French Open starts soon...

Hmmmm

Men's:
Rafa's clay season, by HIS standards, has been well below average, let's just get that out there.
As for the other men, I think the biggest X-factor in the whole draw will be Kei Nishikori.  Will he be 100%?  Will he even play?  If he DOES play, will he be out of practice?  Kei has only lost one clay match out of 11, and that was due to retirement.  I'm interested to see what he does in Paris.
But honestly, I fully expect the French Open semifinals to be Rafa, Ferrer and 2 surprises.  I don't feel like I can trust Djokovic, Federer, OR Wawrinka lately.

I say watch out for:
Nishikori
Dimitrov
Bautista Agut

...and just forget:
Raonic
Tsonga
Gasquet

Women's:
Radwanska is the player to watch, I think.  Everyone's gonna have Serena, Li, Sharapova, etc.  But I think Radwanska is a legitimate contender for the trophy.
Pretty much, I just agree with everything Adunar said here.

Current Men's Prediction Besides Nadal: Wawrinka
Current Women's Prediction: Li Na

Furthest underdog:
Men - Bautista Agut.  Look for him in the second week of play.
Women - Kuznetsova, if she's healthy.  If not.... Schiavone?  One last resurgence from everyone's favorite women's player.  That would be cool.

Top Seeds Falling Early:
Men - Raonic, Tsonga, Gasquet
Women - Azarenka (if she plays), Kvitova, Kerber, Flipkens.  Basically anyone with a "K" in their name somewhere.

Can Stan Finally Beat Rafa On Clay?
Yes

Will Novak win his Maiden Roland Garros title?
No

Can Halep or Radwanska clinch their very first GS title?
Yes

-Arvis

Jankovic is not much of a "rank outsider" but she's in it with a chance to win it, so long as someone else beats Serena for her.  She won't. 

The wonderful Aga will not lose until she plays a top power player and then she absolutely WILL lose.

Halep is the wild joker in all this.  She could go out early, win it all, or anything in between.  God knows, I suppose, but we mere mortals are in without a clue when it comes to Simona.

Rafa v. Nole final?  I'm not so sure.  Not at all.  Rafa has looked like a shadow of his former self this year ALL year and I have a bad feeling that Nole will come up fragile at the wrong moment.  I don't like anybody in the men's but somebody's gotta win it.  Anybody but that damn Berdych is fine by me.

I don`t know if this is the right place to put this Information, but there is a mistake in the Game.Ana Ivanovic is one of the Top16-seeded Players, but in the Game she is one of the Players, who are not seeded.

My extended previews of Roland Garros 2014 are on my blog
men
women

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion

King Roger, Ivana's listing is a mistake in the master list, but she does come up the correct seed if you choose her. For example, she can't be counted as your non-seeded player, and the program will not let you add her as such.

Last edited by Umptastic (May. 23, 2014 6:28pm)

I think it might be the first time nadal comes into this tournament not confident... but to beat him in a set 3 times in one match?? For the women's Serena is not going to want to not win two grand slams in a row. She will play angry

Now that the draw is out it looks like the usual suspects on the men's side, Rafa, Nole, Stan, Fed and Ferrer, I will be shocked and pleasantly surprised if someone outside that group of five wins the French Open.

The women's draw is even more interesting barring the fact Serena will be the hot favourite once again, the withdrawal of Vika has opened the door for one of the women to enjoy a good run at RG I think, who it will be though is the big question??...plenty of possibilities but you would have to think it will be either an Aggie, Halep, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Errani, CSN, Kerber or Bouchard, and perhaps even another dark horse or two will have a breakout tournament. wink

At first glance I think the women's championship could be really interesting this year, I'm not expecting too many surprises in the men's tourney overall but there will be early upsets for sure, I'm picking it will mostly be the usual names who end up battling it out in the second week though.

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

LNORTE10SPLAR wrote:

Serena is not going to want to not win two grand slams in a row.

*falls off chair*

Serena all day... But, all I am sayin is Li Na is gonna be full force

Masha got the short end of the draw.  She meets the only person she absolutely cannot beat on clay in the quarters.

As for Li, she'll be OK so long as she beats everybody to death.  But she gets nervous at big moments and chokes, often choking the entire match away.  Everybody knows that.

Also, Tony, Nishikori could make some noise.  So could Murray, unlikely as that may seem.

Last edited by Don--2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (May. 23, 2014 11:44pm)

I agree with Don on pretty much all of that, especially the men.  Both of them have lingering injury question marks, though.

-Arvis

Yeah, if only Kei could stay healthy, especially recently at Madrid.  He was playing so frickin great from Barcelona all the way to the second set of the Madrid final.

Yeah, Cristal Kei is a big question mark. The way he was beating Rafa in the Madrid final was just too good. If he plays anywhere near that level, he can beat anyone. Murray showed good signs in Rome against Rafa but his clay court season wasn't particularly good. But his draw isn't bad at all. Dimitrov was handed the toughest draw: Karlovic to start? Then Ferrer, Rafa...

Couldn't agree more with your Masha comment Don. Bottom half is wide open in the Women's draw.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, UFTR year-end #1, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Does anyone know of any websites that are good with updates regarding player injury withdrawals, etc. Or do you think "www.tennis.com" or "www.atpworldtour.com" will quickly update fans? I'm waiting to see if Monfils and Gasquet will play or not.

I will say I feel like picking the women's draw throughout a major for each match does, at times, seem futile. Inevitably, some big-name women who should come through don't, and women who would appear to have no chance of making it deep into the tournament suddenly appear.

That's part of the fun, though, Umptastic. smile
Imagine if you're one of the few with the right person on your team.  I remember Kirsten Flipkens making last year's Wimbledon very memorable for me here. lol

But I guess brackets can definitely be trickier than teams, especially if someone you have going deep loses very early, that jacks up the whole thing.

I guess there's a reason that nobody has ever made The Perfect Bracket in tennis: it's just too unpredictable.

-Arvis

It appears the original Ivanovich glitch caused my entire women's team to be dumped as it adjusted the seeds and throughout my team as not meeting the original seeding standards for the tournament.

By the time I figured it out, my women's team was closed.

I am NOT pleased.

Go here, Umptastic: http://www.grandslamfantasytennis.com/f … y-leagues/

Arvis, thanks for the link and your help.

Charles was able to help me out.