Topic: Our own new fantasy tennis game and website: the construction site

Hello everyone,

as we discussed this in the R2D2 Phoenix Crown - A little trip in the California Desert - Indian Wells thread, we are talking about making a new fantasy tennis game based on draw challenge. The idea is to create a brand new website and a game that fulfills our desires, our disponibilities and abilities. Thanks to the newcomer Thexc who seems to know his way around programming and webiste, I'd like to discuss the different aspects here rather than in another thread talking about tennis.

So here is the plan.

The GAME:

Events: All GS (128 draw), All masters 1000 (96, 56 and 48 draws). I'd like to add the 500 tournaments or at least one when there are two in the same week (48 or 32 draws). We could extend it to one tournament every week, giving priority to 500 of course but this is not something we want to do this year but rather in 2015. WTF are also optional. When there are two 500 in the same week, we can simply alternate the tournament we play every year. As Halle and Queen's will become 500 next year, we could definitely add them in 2014 as well.

Tournaments: Australian Open, Rotterdam, Rio, Dubaï/Acapulco, Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid, Rome, French open, [Halle/Queen's in 2015], Wimbledon, Hamburg, Washington, Canada, Cincinnati, US Open, Tokyo/Beijing, Shanghaï, Valencia/Basel, Paris-Bercy.

The idea is to have a draw with the possibility to select one of the two players of a match. It should be clear who is playing against each other. That means there has to be a vertical space between the matches in order to have a clear view of who is playing in that match.

In that sense:

Surname1 Name1 [country1]
Surname2 Name2 [country2]

Surname3 Name3 [country3]
Surname4 Name 4 [country4]

is far better than:

Surname1 Name1 [country1]
Surname2 Name2 [country2]
Surname3 Name3 [country3]
Surname4 Name 4 [country4]

Okay? There should also be the country abreviation (three letters) OR a little flag of the country next to the Surname1 Name1. Seedings should also appear in front of the name.

When you select a player to win the first match and other ronds after that, e.g.: QF. If you UNSELECT him in the 1st round, all the rounfs after that  where you selected the player should disappear. This is a tricky option that we don't have in our current R2D2 excel spreadsheets. This has to be automatic.

Another thing would be very useful. If you directly go to the QF without selection of winners in the previous rounds, there should still be the option of the possible players. E.g. : I want to directly select my finalist. If I click on the choices there, all players of one half should be possible to select. If I pick a player directly for the final round, his name should also be selected in his 1st, 2nd...QF, SF rounds automatically. That way, it will be WAY easier to make your draw. You wouldn't need to make manual selection for every match. Of course you can still do it if you want but it allows shortcuts. It measn the choice of players in a cell is the possible players that your draw allows, depending on how many selections you made before.

Finally, there should be colors or distinctive signs for your correct picks. Green for the winner is good. It doesn't need to have the name in green, it can just be the cell, something that catches the eye. If a pick is proven wrong, it could be either a red cell and/or a barred name with the correct winner under our wrong pick. Final scores of the matches should also appear.

Then there is the design. I think draws from left to right are the best, I don't like having convergion from right and left to the center, at least for 64 draws. 128 draw is far bigger and could therefore be done from both sides. Problem is the size of the draw on your screen... We don't mind scrolling down to make picks though. A 64 draw should stand on the screen from a horizontal point of view, no horizontal scrolling! Cells are far better than just names, the look is much better.

Updates could be made either automatically from an updated official data base/internet by clicking on a button or either the results can be manually entered somewhere in a homemade database and then everything just updates automatically.

Point system should be different depending on the event. That way GS have more values than Masters 1000 which are more valuable than 500. This will make the ranking more relevant and highly acurate.

Possible point systems:
GS - R128 1pt, R64 2 pts, R32 4pt, R16 8pts, QF 12pts, SF 16pts, F 20pts
Masters 1000 - R96 1pt, R64/56/48 1pt, R32 2pts, R16 4pts, QF 8pts, SF 12pts, F 16pts
500 - R48 1pt, R32 1pt, R16 2pt, QF 4pts, SF 8pts, F 12pts
(250 - R48/1pt, R32/28 1pt, R16 2pt, QF 3pt, SF 6 pt, F 9pt)

Rankings should appear for a single event as well as for the overall season, like two different pages/links. Next to the points of the event/season, there should be a pick percentage showing your #correct picks/#picks made for the event/season. This would be extremely cool. Bye clicking on a player's name (the internet player, not the actual tennis play), one could see a list of his points and pick% of every event he participated in the year (coud be links for past years). Line should be: "YEAR ... Event ... Points ... Rank ... pick% ..." . At the bottom of the list of the year, there should also be the total amount of points earned throughout the season as well as pick%. There should also be the possibility to click on every event of the list to actually see the draw he made.

FINANCES:

Tony is here ennamed financial director and protector of the treasure wink

Costs:
-annual for the website domain 11$
-annual for the hosting costs 60$

Here are the poeple who already accepted to put the few bucks:
Tony
Arvis
BHP
Adunar
Edu
Snolly
Dragan
Mike
Jamie
Thexc
Dwight

Earnings:
Advertisements could cover our hosting costs. But honestly, I'd rather have only donations than adv. for cars or useless vids on how to earn 10'000 bucks a day. If there are adds, they have to be around the tennis world, I don't want any visual pollution

Costs for the fantasy tennis game:
I suggest it is a free game. Nobody actually want to pay a dime for a fantasy tennis gam.

THE WEBSITE:

1) There has to be a homepage. With the latest news about the ATP tour (either linked to the ATP or eurosport or whatever. Log-in should appear on the homepage as well as the latest blog entry

2) The Blog. This is where we can post a weekly blog. If Tony agrees, his weekly FTT blog could be posted here.

3) Log-on/log-in section

4) "My draw" once someone is logged-in. Tis is where your list of draws (with year, event, rank, points, pick% appear). One can select a past draw to view it or the current draw (which should appear above all other with a special mention) to actually make his picks.

5) leaderboard. Leaderboard for the current event. Another one for the overall standings on a different link/page.

6) Forums. Could be like the ones we have here

7) Rules

A "account options" should appear above or on the side as well. This is where you can access your personal account, infos and everything. a Log-out button should appear as well.

Bottom of the page: Contact/Feedback/Conditions

END

Wouf, that's a hell lot of things..

So here were my first few thoughts about this.Do you have any suggestion about all the different mentioned aspects?

Last edited by Adunar (Jan. 4, 2015 2:46pm)

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, UFTR year-end #1, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Re: Our own new fantasy tennis game and website: the construction site

Of course, there is then the financial part. Thexc knows a bit more a bit this and I hope he can explain it here what kind of money we need in order to start this smile

Wow, when you break it down like that Arnaud it seems like a lot or work huh, if thexc is a bit of a website whiz that will help though for sure.

You have everything covered although the points awarded is one round too many.
We can worry about the point structure much later anyway I suppose but I'd like to see this.....
GS - R128 1pt, R64 2pts, R32 4pts, R16 8pts, QF 12pts, SF 16pts, F 20pts
1000 - R96 1pt, R64 1pt, R32 2pt, R16 4pts, QF 8pts, SF 12pts, F 16pts
500 - R32 1pt, R16 2pts, QF 4pts, SF 8pts, F 12pts

I think we have enough Fantasy Tennis knowledge among the group to come up with a great design if we have a good website creator in the mix.

Last edited by Tono--2014-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Mar. 8, 2014 6:40am)

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Oops I have an extra round every time in the point system indeed. Changing that right now!

EDIT: Done

Yeah, there are so many aspects to worry about and that why I thought we should discuss the different things there. Then maybe the ATP will buy our own website and design . This is where we can get some serious money eh? wink

If this happens, we better make sure that our finances are well done, the part of each other well defined as well. This is IP stuff I have no idea about.. Whatever, the first goal is mainly to have fun and our own game smile

Last edited by Adunar (Mar. 8, 2014 6:42am)

I'd be happy to help out with blogs and results and stuff Arnaud.

Exciting stuff, only cost will stop us from getting this off the ground I reckon, hopefully it's not insanely expensive.

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year

It isn't. Thexc talked about anapproximation of around 100$ for a whoel year for everything...

Oh wow, that is really good then, that would be like $10 each or something.
I'm glad you started this thread because a discussion like this needs to be separate from the actual R2D2 game and tennis talk. smile

I'm in.  Whatever I can do.  The idea of our own site that has the possibility of doing at least one draw every week sounds amazing.

Speaking of which, the www.tennisdrawchallenge.net  (or.com) domain is available.

-Arvis

Great link!

We also need to find a name for the competition. We can keep it low and classic or we can find a flashy but catchy name. The more classic the name is, the most chances we have to get people in of course. Unless we do some good advertising on other websites wink

and yes, a draw per week is the long term goal I think. A bit liekt he pelican but better looking, a lot more often updated and only upfront brackets of the ATP Tour.

Then we could create a WTA league in a couple years maybe..

Last edited by Adunar (Mar. 8, 2014 11:20am)

Glad you brought up that web site Arvis.  I had noticed that too. This is what we hoped would happen. 
I am in too!  I can be handy in many ways.  big_smile

16 Wimby 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Wow this is a very detailed post! Your idea about selecting the final winner and autofilling is awesome, though trickier programming wise but definitely possible.

A domain name needs to be decided to figure out costs and tennisdrawchallenge.com looks to be $10.87 (including ICANN fee) per year from Namecheap: https://www.namecheap.com/domains/regis … llenge.com

For the hosting costs, DigitalOcean is a good provider with their cheapest plan at $5 per month ($60 per year): https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/

So overall total cost annually would be about $71.

About the two tournaments in the same week, it would be possible to host more than one draw challenge at the time if people don't mind the time it takes to pick two draws. This way each tournament could have complete yearly results instead of having gaps every other year.

Deciding the name will be important, and the domain name should preferably be a .com and something not too long to type or remember. The shorter the better but usually shorter names are already taken.

Tennis Draw Challenge sounds good as the site's name though it is a bit long used as domain: www.tennisdrawchallenge.com

but I can't think of any other good ones haha.

It seems kismet that tdc is available anyway. Many people are familiar with www.tennisdrawchallenge.com, so the name recognition would be strong.

16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid

Yeah, that's a good and simple name. That was the name of the site of the old Chewie no?

BHP--2012-13-KING-DROID wrote:

It seems kismet that tdc is available anyway. Many people are familiar with www.tennisdrawchallenge.com, so the name recognition would be strong.

Yeah I agree, that is a very straightforward and fitting name so I'll place a vote for it!

Based on this: http://www.domaintools.com/research/who … llenge.com

it looks like that domain name had once been taken and used by someone but they didn't end up keeping it. Is that what you're referring to, Adunar?

Yes, I think so as we played a comp we called Chewie and as I remember that was the site.  They stopped
running it a little over a year ago.

16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid

Yes that's right. So that's a name people have heard of before, which is good.

So it is available for the taking?

Best thing is, this website was atually doing EXACTLY this kind of competition format. Draw challenges for GS, Masters 1000 and 500.

I don't really know about the two 500 at the same time, could be difficult. One draw is enough for a week. If we want to do a draw once a week, we should keep that strategy all year long whether there are on or two 500 tournaments.

If we want to add 250 for the "one tournament, one week" policy, we can either select the 250 of interest or do some rotations. I suggest we select them.

here is the suggestion for th weeks without GS, 1000 or 500:

Doha, Sydney, Montpellier, Houston, Nice, Halle or Queen's, den-Bosch (32 draw instead of 28 in Eastbourne), Newport (32 draw and that way we have a big grass courts swing), Gstaad, Winston Salem, St-Petersburg (32 draw), KL, and either Vienna or Stockholm.

I chose the ones usually having the best players. It is tough to choose between Gstaad, Umag and Atlanta. Either we include another clay court event after Hamburg or we switch to Atlanta and hard courts.

This sounds great guys, picking up the old TDC website and giving it a Phoenix rebirth. smile

Picking brackets doesn't take too long so the more the merrier I say, if we have multiple brackets in one week I'm all for that but if it's easier to stay with one tourney a week I'm all good with that too.

Adunar wrote:

Yes that's right. So that's a name people have heard of before, which is good.

So it is available for the taking?

Yes it's available right now unless someone happens to be lurking the thread and snatched it up (highly unlikely) but to guarantee it someone will have to make a purchase for it.

If we're serious about this, then we should get the domain.

My personal vote is for Tono to handle the financial administration: set up the Paypal for donations, then make sure the money gets sent where it needs to go.  Tono is mature, responsible, and very loyal to tennis and our competitions.

But if somebody else would volunteer to handle it, that would be fine.  The sooner we set up the Paypal, the sooner we can all put a few dollars in and get that domain paid for.

-Arvis

I just found this video and remember registering for that site, and Arvis's name shows up: http://youtu.be/j9c2e9IsnUI?t=1m19s

I think they even had Amazon gift card prizes or something and yeah there were a lot of tournament options.

Reading their last Facebook post I'm surprised the site was shut down perhaps due to financial difficulties. https://www.facebook.com/tennisdraw/pos … 3658575421

So this would be a pretty serious investment to consider if there will be enough funding to sustain the site long-term.

Yes, Thexc, they did give prizes.  I even won one myself.  Hopefully, if we're not giving prizes (at least until we're sure we can afford it) then we won't need to worry about long-term financial sustainability.

-Arvis