Re: Alpha Cup

I'm happy with whatever you guys decide really, if I have any thoughts on it at all, it would be that only those who have played a full season in the Yoda Cup comp are initially in the Alpha Cup, other than that thought I really don't mind too much how it's done, it seems that most of the so-called newbies are all reasonable guys so it shouldn't be too difficult to organise, we have always had criteria for the Yoda Cup so why not use the same blueprint for Alpha, those are my thoughts on the matter gents but whatever is decided I can roll with.

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Found this thread...  Great job AD and LL!!

I was thinking about the relegation status... once you equalize at 14 teams each league, what about relegating 3 or 4 teams from Alpha.  I think it would keep the Beta league more interesting... and it would force people in alpha to finish top 10 (or not bottom 4)...

I see there's been a lot of back and forth, and my opinion isn't strong... but I think more mobility between the leagues would keep it more interesting and would probably prevent bleeding out of beta (people quitting) for next year...

Of course, I'm happy with whatever you decide... and btw a thousand thank-yous for finding me, inviting me to the league, and all the doors that opened with the Yoda crew.
Super grateful!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion

Hey Arnaud, I was checking out the Alpha Cup and saw that you have the 3 promotion 1 relegation ending at the conclusion of Roland Garros.  I was under the impression we were doing this until the conclusion of Wimbledon, so that there would be 16 spots in Alpha Cup.

Hey Thomas,

I thought we changed that and wanted only 14. How many are you in Beta Bowl? I can't remember a thing. Why do we have to wait 4 months between two slams?? wink

EDIT: I see you are 17. So if there are two new Alpha Cup positions, that makes 14 in AC and 15 in BB. Isn't that good enough? Or do you expect some new players in BB?

Last edited by Adunar (May. 31, 2014 5:08am)

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Hey Arnaud,

I can't imagine agreeing to 14 instead of 16, because if I had then I would have changed the Beta Bowl page.

I like 16, it's large enough but not too big. It looks like a good set number that is very likely to be permanent. It is large enough to hold two relegation spots *, while 14 looks a little small for that, to me anyway.  I don't have any new members in mind for BB right now, but by going up to 16 in AC and decreasing the number of BB members to 13, it will allow room for a few more people to join Beta in the future, and we won't need to change the rules again to accommodate a potential overload - which is very unlikely to happen again, since I'm not going to invite a bunch of people to Beta now that we have plenty of people. 

* Only one official relegation spot, with the other being a standoff.  It seems very unlikely that the 2nd highest score in Beta will be lower than the 2nd lowest score in Alpha.  It can happen, but I "boldly" predict it will be an anomaly.

WHERE'S MY INVITATION!?  I EARNED THIS!  ME ME ME ME!

-Arvis

Sent it this morning Arvis wink

Yeah, the more we are in AC, the less chances that the  AC 2nd to last is better than BB 2nd.
Okay, so let's make it 16 with Wimbledon smile

It's not in my Inbox, Trash, or Spam folders. sad

-Arvis

Still nothing.

Seriously? I sent it yesterday. I'll do it again right now.

Stupid Yahoo Mail is down right now anyways.

-Arvis

Yahoo Mail back up.  Still nothing.

-Arvis

Just sent myself a forum e-mail.  Haven't gotten that, either.

-Arvis

I tried once again. Maybe the Alpha Cup doesn't want you after all Arvis... #Arvis Curse

Okay try this Arvis: go to the Alpha Cup page and request to join.  That's what you did when you went down to Beta and it worked.

Also, I take it there's no word from b.lecount?  Normally I wouldn't be in a rush to get everyone in their league less than a week after a slam - after Wimbledon, Flushing and Melbourne, there's a lot of time in between tournaments.

Ok, I'm in.  The email invitation finally came through.

-Arvis

I see lecount is there, too.  Okay, Arvis, please remove yourself from BB. G'on, git!

I'm wondering if it might make it more interesting to reduce membership in the alpha cup to 8 or 10?  And then have a much larger beta bowl.  That would make it more special to be in the alpha league... It would be more of an accomplishment... Could still have 2 or 3 (if 3rd best beta is higher than 3rd lowest alpha) move each tournament... it might keep the competition more interesting than having 'everyone' in alpha. 

Thots?

We thought and discussed a lot about it.. Beta Bowl originally had more members but it looks like they don't all play at every event. So we might reconsider decreasing the number of AC members. The only trouble is if BEta Bowl suddenly gets bigger as some people accept invitations. I will see with Thomas.

I think having 8 in alpha and 30 in beta would be interesting... It would make the top crew oh so special... and getting there and especially staying there would be a huge accomplishment.

Dwight, I plan on creating a third league - a place for those at the bottom of the beta bowl to be relegated - so that would make getting to the alpha cup even harder for those not in it, even with the size that it currently has.

Wolmas, can we call that one "The Johnny League"?

-Arvis

LOL

The Johnny Bucket. JB.

Tommy_Dearest wrote:

Dwight, I plan on creating a third league - a place for those at the bottom of the beta bowl to be relegated - so that would make getting to the alpha cup even harder for those not in it, even with the size that it currently has.

Good idea Tom! smile

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup