Topic: Alpha Cup

Welcome to the Alpha Cup which is part of the new Promotion/Relegation competition Thomas and I created on this website.

The number of Promotion/Relegation spots will depend on the size of the Alpha Cup. 

Have confirmed playing in the Alpha Cup:

Don, Backhandpass, Tono, Edu_Anakin, MikeTM732, Wimbledonut, Tennis_Elbow, Snollygoster, Charles, Arvis and Adunar (11)

Last edited by Adunar (Jan. 8, 2014 12:38pm)

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Re: Alpha Cup

I probably won't participate either as I don't see the point in it.  I know there are minor leagues in a lot of sports but that's to make sure they have the best competition and talent for a limited number of spots.  The spots in Fantasy Tennis are unlimited smile.  So i don't see how relegating any person when we're all actually competing against each other regardless of the way we play makes sense.  Whether you're 1st or 45th I don't think moving up in any group will make either group better or worse.

...that's why you have the Yoda Cup and overall GSFT. We just want to make another competition out there. Plus, you don't need to make extra picks.

But that's okay if you decide not play OZ smile

Nice pic!

So you've heard from everyone?  Hmm...So what should we do, keep the odd number?  That doesn't really matter to me, at least it's double digits. 

Maybe you'll want to bring up that idea edu had, see what the fellas think.

So I was reading the forums and Don brought up a fair point about promotion/relegation.

He said that last place of the Alpha Cup should only be relegated and replaced by promoted first place Beta Bowl winner if BB winner has more points than the last placed Alpha Cup.  This is what we would do with multiple promotion/relegation spots, but I think last place in the top league should come with a penalty, just as first place in the bottom league should come with a reward.  After the 1st of the bottom, and last of the top is decided, any additional spot will be head-to-head to determine promotion/relegation.

I also think there should be a reward and a "punition" anyway. Plus, I think the 1st BB will always be better than the last AC.

There are a lot of controversies that could happen if we went by that.  I have no maximum membership to the Beta Bowl, so long as they meet the criteria.  So what if there's 40 Beta Bowl members, versus 10 Alpha Cup members, and half of the Beta Bowl members outscore the Alpha Cup in any given slam?  There needs to be a set number,  1st place replacing last place makes sense, and any additional spots will be in a head-to-head playoff based on their points.

Last edited by Lucky_Loser (Jan. 9, 2014 12:21pm)

Well if there are 40 BB and 10 AC members, we might do 20-30 or something LOL. Or 12-18-20 with a Gamma League...

That's 5 out of 10 for the slam-by-slam prom/rel, I don't count Adunar as the league admin.  One more vote towards that and I'll update my league rules accordingly.

Seriously, if it were to expand to 40, I think I'd create a third division, lol.  Any takers on running it, if it were to occur?  Now the idea of 5-6 divisions is tempting.  I'll be at the very bottom, never to see the light of day again.  I'll drag you down with me, Arvis.

I already updated the rules in the Alpha Cup description as I'm sure someone else will be okay with it LOL. Send me the final rules when they're finished so we have the EXACT same description smile

LOL I'm just having a bit of fun.  This isn't going to be a committee.  So long as we establish the rules before the beginning of play.  Yeah, so, that's what we're doing - slam by slam.  It is written.

Haha we could also do one Top division and two second divisions (same level) with play-offs between the two lower divisions! So the Division Champions will be promoted (and the last and 2nd to last of the Top division relegated) and the 2nd and 3rd of each two divisions go head-to-head and the two winners then go head-to-head vs the 3rd and 4th to last of the Top Division.. but that's crazy. But why make it simple when you can make a brilliant complex system? LOL

Okay, I'll have to read that last post again at another time.  That really has my head spinning.

Okay, so one more thing to settle the rules:

We're doing this slam by slam.  The maximum members for Alpha Cup is 10, so what is the solution for the odd man out?  An extra relegation spot after the Australian Open?  If that is the case, here is the scenario:

11th place Alpha Cup ----> Relegated to Beta Bowl; replaced by promotion champion
10th place Alpha Cup ----> Relegated to Beta Bowl;  replaced by second place Beta Bowl
9th place Alpha Cup   ----->  Relegation/Promotion playoff against 3rd place Beta Bowl

Or another way

11th place Alpha Cup ----> Relegated to Beta Bowl; replaced by BB Promotion Champion
10th and 9th place Alpha Cup -----> Promotion/Relegation playoff against 2nd and 3rd place Beta Bowl on head to head points to decide final two spots in Alpha Cup. 

?

Either way, after the Australian Open, when it is 10 men in Alpha Cup, this is how it will be:

10th place Alpha Cup relegated to Beta Bowl - Beta Bowl Champion promoted to Alpha Cup
9th placed Alpha Cup head-to-head playoff against 2nd placed Beta Bowl to decided Promotion/Relegation

Last edited by Lucky_Loser (Jan. 9, 2014 12:49pm)

Right, we have this choice. I'd say the second option is nice!

Yes, I agree with that.  Should it be 10th vs 2nd, 9th vs 3rd, or just the best two out of the four?

(This is regarding the first slam, with the extra relegation spot)

Last edited by Lucky_Loser (Jan. 9, 2014 1:03pm)

Hmmm we can consider both options for this Aussie Open... I suggest we stick with 10th vs 2nd and 9th vs 3rd.

I was just looking at your league, we could do it the way you describe: "11th place relegated automatically, 10th place replaced by BB champ, 9th AC vs 2nd BB in h2h".

I'm off, but whatever of those options you like will be fine with me.  I'll probably be on here again before the day is over.

Well I wrote that hours ago but we could do 10th AC vs 1st BB and 9th AC vs 2nd BB... I don't really care but I liked the idea of having the BB Champion promoted as a reward.

confused...

16 Wimby 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Having the threat of relegation will add to the competition I reckon guys, being the current Yoda Cup Guru there is no way I wanna go down into the Beta Bowl comp, I'm sure plenty of you will have a field day if I do happen to be relegated though huh, be nice to the Guru now, I'm the head of the Yoda Crew for 2014 remember, well sorta. cool

Last edited by Tono--2014-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jun. 2, 2014 9:09pm)

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Since there's enough time before the start of the Australian Open, I have an alternate idea. 

I can make things a little simpler.  I wanted to create a promotion/relegation with people who regularly play GSFT.  To separate two leagues, I made mention of having Yoda Cup members start out in the top.  There are some good players starting out in the Beta Bowl.  So here's the idea:

Put everyone from the Beta Bowl to the Alpha Cup, that will be 22 members.  Play the Australian Open, the first tournament, as Relegation only.  The 10-12 worst scorers would then be relegated to the Beta Bowl, and starting from the French Open, things would proceed as intended. 

So after the Australian Open there would be 10-12 in the Alpha Cup, and 10-12 in the Beta Bowl, and promotion AND relegation would start with the French Open.

Well that would change pretty much everything we've done so far... But if enough people agree with it, why not!

Or we can keep things as they are.  If you want to ask everyone in the Alpha Cup for their input, that's fine.  There isn't much time, so it's your call on what to do.