Re: The 2014 Australian Open starts soon...

LOL well someone has some balls!! Nice Jolive

Don, Pironkova was originally on my team, but I switched her out for Madison Keys.  We'll see if that was smart or not.

I also switched out Jankovic for Kvitova.  Swap one headcase for another.  Yay.

-Arvis

Last edited by Arvis (Jan. 12, 2014 11:19pm)

Actually, I had Kvitova until I found out about the heat.  Petra is NOT big on conditioning.  She will melt in the heat, Arvis.  She has no chance against Pennetta. 
Ferrer will most definitely make the semis.  No doubt about it.
IMHO, of course.

Well, not quite.  Kvitova out 1st round to Kumkhum!!!  I really, really wish I had taken Pennetta.

Last edited by Don--2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 13, 2014 4:20am)

Thanks for the encouragement, Don. T_T

-Arvis

Arvis wrote:

Don, Pironkova was originally on my team, but I switched her out for Madison Keys.  We'll see if that was smart or not.

I also switched out Jankovic for Kvitova.  Swap one headcase for another.  Yay.

-Arvis

Looks like you should have stuck with your gut.

Ladies seeds dropping quickly.

I have had some close calls in only the first round, should have changed Jerzy for Kohli I think. Will be an interesting and possibly painful 2 weeks. I am also in hospital over night on the 23rd, that wasn't well planned for my picks...

I did some last minute swapping too-Lu for Cilic, Keys for Pironkova. We'll see.

2019 RG Yoda Cup Co-Champion
2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

LOL for my team... I snubbed former AO finalist Andy Murray and horrendously big-serving Isner nd instead took in  Kohlschreiber. Ballsy move is it??

Last edited by Ricohh (Jan. 13, 2014 8:39am)

Ricohh, Kohlschreiber is not a Top 16 player, and Murray and Isner both are, so it's not really an equal replacement.  I think over half of the Yoda Cup has Kohlschreiber on their teams.

@Snollygoster: WHY are you going to be in the hospital?? sad

-Arvis

Well, Kohlsie is very consistent and has reached 4th round or better in the 4 slams. He really did give Djoko are scare at RG, and also exerted pressure over Nadal at USO last year.

Murray's recovering from injury and isn't yet in the best shape to back up his performance from last yr's AO so he might go out to Isner/Kohlschreiber/other random guy in his sec. His back still seems to bother him, and personally as a fan of his I can say that we're not getting the old Murray back till the grass-court season commences. Isner has always ended up short when coming to AO.. 3rd round or 4th round and that's it there he goes. Last year... he couldn't even participate here. He doesn't have the fluid baseline game or the sharp net-arsenal to make it big at AO. If he meets Kohlsie, he'll probably lose just like the last 2 times they met at a GS (USO '12, USO '13.. both meetings won by Kohlsie).

That is my theorie for favoring Kohlschreiber over Isner and Murray. And he's an underrated player too.

Pennetta was on my list to sub in but decided that if Kvitova and Kerber are on their game she'd have no chance plus I don't trust the Italians always down under. Riske was my unseeded sub but was afraid that Vesnina would actually show up. Would have loved to have taken Makarova but I didn't have the balls when Venus is concerned, Anyone who took her should be happy - she should go far. My Bouchard pick was scary for me. I usually don't follow her. Kanepi has done me well in the past so hopefully she continues. Keys has been on fire but that first round was scary. Messy.

The men's side was a decision throughout. Trusting Fed is still hungry. Del Potro doesn't have the best record in AO. I can't believe I don't have Ferrer on my team. That's gonna hurt me. Stan too. But I'm hoping my lower seeds do me well.

Yeah... no Ferrer, Murray, or Wawa for me.  But I can't have a team full of Top 16ers.  So I took Delpo, Fed, and Berdych.  Who knows how that's going to go, but it's me we're talking about, so probably badly.

-Arvis

It better not be Arvis since I have them too. I really like your Chardy pick btw. He was on my radar.

Chardy looks solid, but I refuse to hope for bonus points from him.  But thank you. smile

-Arvis

My men's team team boasts of Nadal, Djok, DelPo, Fed, Stan, Kohlsie, Gulbis and Cilic. Women's team comprises of - Serena, Vika, Masha, Kerber, Halep, Penneta, Bouchard and Venus.

but darn, Makarova had to gate-crash my party... what fetish does she have of beating the duo of Williams sisters lol. That too at AO.

Lol Ricohh.  That's why I stayed away. Admire your guts though. The rest of your teams sound great. Gulbis being the only one I would have avoided. He's a disappointment and never does well down under.

Great job on Kerber and Pennetta, Ricoh.  Those might be your difference-makers here.

-Arvis

Now that Kohlschreiber has withdrew last minute from the tournament, what happens to anybody that had him on their team like me? Does anybody know? I was really hoping to do well this tournament. Looks like that is shot now.

Sorry to say Camdawg but it is a - 16.  sad

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

That is just not fair ... and truly upsetting.

Arvis wrote:

@Snollygoster: WHY are you going to be in the hospital?? sad

-Arvis

I have two hernias being fixed up. And due to the extreme weather conditions here, I am most likely going to be called interstate to help those you need it (Bushfires,cyclone or floods) as usually happens this time of year. So I either get it done now or what till later this year. Figured I will get it done now and recouperate watching the tennis smile Hopefully I can get online to predict matches for that day and I am not that drugged up.

Wow Koli pulling out is sort of a stroke of luck for me as I was going to change my Jerzy pick.

BHP--2012-13-KING-DROID wrote:

Sorry to say Camdawg but it is a - 16.  sad

Don said that you will not get a  -16 just a zero for him like you only picked 7 players.

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16

Well get well soon Snolly.  You dodged two big ass bullets with Anderson and Jerzy so lady luck seems to be smiling on you now.

Yes, get well, Snolly!  Enjoy the tennis during your recuperation.  Good thinking.

Cam, this has happened before.  When players withdraw before the first round, they are NOT players in the tourney.  In this case, for instance, Stephane Robert took Kohli's place in the draw.  Kohli is NOT in the final draw.  You picked only 7 actual players.  Better than a -16, which would be unfair, indeed.

Why can't Stephane Robert take Kohli's place on my team, eh?

-Arvis