Re: The 2014 Australian Open starts soon...

Stan and the joker will meet again, no doubt in my mind. I dont believe Delpo will go more than 2 0r 3 rounds but i could be wrong. i dont like this draw at all

Well if you believe Paire or Dimitrov/Raonic will beat him you're right wink

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Actually, Lu will make the quarters in that part of the draw.  You heard it here first.

He'll go through Dimitrov like a hot knife through butter.  He'll beat Raonic 7-6, 7-6, 7-6.  Delpo may actually take a set off of him.

Last edited by Don--2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 11, 2014 6:50pm)

I think Jankovic will make a run

Me to @Monti

Jelena has a nice draw -- until R16.  IF Halep is on her game, she should take JJ out.  Frankly, neither of them is going to beat Sharapova.

Last edited by Don--2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 11, 2014 7:05pm)

Hasn't sharapova been hurt, and halep's unproven in the Grand Slams

Maria played a very competitive match against Serena at Brisbane.  She'll be fine, I think.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/m … 30nsc.html

Halep is the most dangerous up & comer in the women's game IMO.  She'll break through in a slam this year, maybe not win one, but I think she'll make the semis in one of them.

Last edited by Don--2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 11, 2014 7:19pm)

To follow Don's prediction of Lu making it into the quarters past Dimitrov and Del Po, I would like to declare that Michael Russell will upset Tursunov in the first round and Djokovic in the third round on his way to the quarters. You heard it here first!!

In all seriousness, Lu has been playing well lately, and I can see him pulling off an upset against Dimitrov and maybe even Raonic ... but no way is he going to be a match for a very much in-form Del Potro!!

Last edited by Camdawg (Jan. 12, 2014 3:10am)

Who all has withdrawn? On the men's and women's?

Yes, Cam, my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek on that one.  However, in the immortal words of Judy Tenuta, "It could happen!"

I do think he will beat Dimitrov.

Last edited by Don--2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 12, 2014 5:07pm)

I don't think I have time to get to 50 posts

But I did bring four other people to the site, and I am pretty pumped to share in the AO with people who actually watch it. I watch it religiously every year, but never have any friends who do the same.

Keep posting decbell1 so you are ready to join the Yoda Crew in time for the French Open 2014.  Welcome to this site where we love to talk tennis.

Join Extreme Tennis - as many of us Yoda players are also in that one and you can see how you stack up.

Last edited by BHP--2012-13-KING-DROID (Jan. 12, 2014 5:54pm)

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Done. Thanks for the invite.

Anyone on twitter? follow me at @decbell1

Just a heads up for everybody: don't be surprised to see Halep go out early.  Her section of the draw is cake, but she looked bad against Keys in Sydney.  At #11 she shouldn't be on anybody's team, but at the same time, picking against her is also a risky prospect if she finds her game.

-Arvis

Hey Johnny, I'm actually taking Stan on my team this time around! He impressed me at the us open, so I decided he was worth a gamble.

Arvis wrote:

Just a heads up for everybody: don't be surprised to see Halep go out early.  Her section of the draw is cake, but she looked bad against Keys in Sydney.  At #11 she shouldn't be on anybody's team, but at the same time, picking against her is also a risky prospect if she finds her game.

-Arvis

So in other words we are stupid if we pick her and we are stupid if we don't. Thanks for the advice bro!! tongue

That's very sound advice.

Jolivegarden wrote:

Hey Johnny, I'm actually taking Stan on my team this time around! He impressed me at the us open, so I decided he was worth a gamble.

OOOOOWWW MY EYES!!! Did I just read that right?? He is by NO means a gamble!! He will get to the Joker for sure now anything past that is I suppose a "gamble"

As I supposed might be the case, some pretty savvy folks took Pironkova.  IF she continues to play as she did last time out, a solid pick.  However, that was not only her first win in a WTA event, it was her first final.  Even in winning, she lost virtually every 2nd serve point.   Her drive backhand & first serve won the tourney for her.  Usually, both are very erratic.  Look for her to return to her usual ways & go out in the 2nd round.

Last edited by Don--2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 13, 2014 12:04am)

Does anyone think ferrer will make the semis?

Ferrer won't even make the 4th round
IMO ;-)

Last edited by Johnny_Incognito (Jan. 12, 2014 8:02pm)

LNORTE10SPLAR wrote:

Does anyone think ferrer will make the semis?

Don't listen to Johnny. He doesn't believe in anything that makes sense.