Topic: The 2014 Australian Open starts soon...

Hello everybody !

The 2014 Aussie Open is on the way! Indeed, the draw comes out in a week and play begins in 10 days.

So let's talk about it.

Who do you think will win this year: Rafa? Novak? Someone else?
Which top8 seed(s) might fall early (before the quarterfinals)?
Will we have a top8-quarterfinal line up?
Will an underdog have a fairy tale?
Will Roger serve&volley more than 25% of the time?
Can Stan finally beat Novak in a Grand Slam?
How will Murray's back handle five-setters?
Are we going to see an Aussie in week 2?

smile

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Re: The 2014 Australian Open starts soon...

Wawrinka will win obviously because he is the best tennis player :-)
He will finally take down the Joker in a Grand Slam.
This is still going to be really soon after surgery for Murray so I'm not sure I like his chances to go very far, maaayybe the 3rd round if he has an easy draw, those 5 setters are going to kick his butt. Federer is a wildcard now that he is getting older and struggled last year so not sure what to expect from him or Ferrer for that matter. Stupid old men making it harder on us fantasy guys LOL.
As far as an underdog fairy tale, there will definitely be one if its anything like this first week of tennis.

Who do you think will win this year? Novak is the most probable, but then of course you have Rafa and Fed. The usual suspects.

Which top8 seed(s) might fall early (before the quarterfinals)? Murray and Berdych.  I don't want to count Ferrer out just yet.

Will we have a top8-quarterfinal line up? Nope.

Will an underdog have a fairy tale?  Monfils?  I DO like Wawa, too.  Would love to see him make good on the promise he showed here last year.

Will Roger serve&volley more than 25% of the time?  .....dubious.

Can Stan finally beat Novak in a Grand Slam?  YES!  But I doubt he will.

How will Murray's back handle five-setters?  Poorly.

Are we going to see an Aussie in week 2?  No.

-Arvis

My favourite Grand Slam will soon be underway. smile

Ernests Gulbis will win AO 2014 this year lol (Yeah Right)....Rafa and Novak will be the heavy favourites again of course but the likes of Andy, Fed, Delpo, Stan and Tsonga are in with a shout too I reckon, the problem being that one of those guys "might" have to beat Rafa and Nole back to back to win it all, that will be tough.

With the exception of Rafa and Novak, I think any of the Top 8 seeds could fall before the quarters to be honest, a lot will depend on the draw as usual.

I don't believe we will have a Top 8 QF line-up in Melbourne.

There will surely be a fairytale run from someone outside the Top 10, problem is picking who it's going to be hmm...one of the young brigade perhaps, Raonic, Janowicz, Dimitrov or maybe even the Popsicle, Cilic might go alright too.

Roger might serve and volley more but it won't help him on the medium paced courts at Rod Laver Arena.

Yes Stan could beat Novak in a GS but if he did would he be mentally toast afterwards?

Andy will be gearing towards the Aussie Open, he has BIG points to defend so he will be keen to test that back of his out well in Melbourne, he won't want too many long matches though for sure.

Will we see an Aussie in week 2??.....Maybe not this year, the end of week 1 is perhaps more likely...the obvious contenders are Lleyton and Bernie.

Should be another fantastic Aussie Open, and my first as the Yoda Cup Guru too, can't wait!! big_smile

2021 AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

GO GURU!

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Letz rock 2014!

Hey Vegas....you are only 15 posts away from a Yoda Cup invite. wink

2021 AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Go Vegas Go - Get in before AO!!

I think it's interesting that our conversation always focuses on the men.  Especially since it's so often the women's teams that determine who wins Yoda Cup championships.  Just sayin'.

I think Serena will win.

-Arvis

I think Radwanska will win*

*opinion based on no facts as she will probably pathetically lose in the first round to a LL

I think the Joker has it this tournament. I know I made the wrong decision last time, but I think he always manages to snatch up this title.

Last edited by Jolivegarden (Jan. 8, 2014 5:54pm)

As for the women: Serena.

Who do you think will win this year: Rafa? Novak? Someone else? Novak
Which top8 seed(s) might fall early (before the quarterfinals)? Radwanska, Errani; Murray, Ferrer
Will we have a top8-quarterfinal line up? Not on the women's side
Will an underdog have a fairy tale? Madison Keys,
Will Roger serve&volley more than 25% of the time? No, even with Edberg
Can Stan finally beat Novak in a Grand Slam? No, even though that would be great
How will Murray's back handle five-setters? Only for one match
Are we going to see an Aussie in week 2? Nope, but Hewitt will go the farthest

2019 RG Yoda Cup Co-Champion
2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

I think Novak will win this one. Their is something about him playing here. His game expands and he plays all around the best. I think he's the best when they are all fresh, due to his endurance and flexibility he will most likely not be outlasted in this tournament
For the woman I would love to say anyone but Serena but I just don't see that happening

Keep posting, Norte!  You'll be in Yoda Cup one of these days & I can't wait to take you down a peg, mate.  That said, you rock!!!

I want to join this Fantasy League, so i'll ACTUALLY have to do 50 GENUINE posts?

Yes, you will.  49 to go.  Assuming the world, the league or you don't come to an end before you get there.
POST FAST!!!

The men's comp will as usual be an interesting battle, as for the women, Serena will win playing left handed. Would have liked to see Li Na or Gerber in the bottom half, may have been a bit more interesting.

Keep posting Ricohh.  Yoda is where the real competition is at.

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Azarenka has a chance against Serena if they meet in the Finals.

-Arvis

k. 48 to go then LOL

Btw who do you guys think is the DARK HORSE going into AO? I'd say DelPo

Delpo can definitely frustrate Nadal if he makes it that far.  If we're lucky enough to see Delpo and Fed go at it, that would be awesome.

-Arvis

Yep, truely awesome. Delpo will give Rafa a hard time, no doubt about it. Then Roger will come into play after a sweet victory over a poor Murray. And we all know what happens when Roger meets Rafa at a Slam... unless the courts are much faster than the previous years and that they play under the roof. Then there might be a match tongue

Seriously, a dark horse? Maybe Stan.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion