Topic: 2014 Fifa World Cup

I could very well have just posted this in the "Other Tournaments" section, but hey, these are rules, and important! 

The draw ceremony took place earlier this month, these are the groups:

A) Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
B) Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia
C) Colombia, Ivory Coast, Greece, Japan
D) Uruguay, Italy, England, Costa Rica
E) Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras
F) Argentina, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Nigeria, Iran
G) Germany, Portugal, Ghana, United States
H) Belgium, Russia, Algeria, South Korea

I don't know how many of you follow football avidly.  Those whose countries are in it will have some rooting interest. There's  Edu from Brazil, Adunar (Switzerland), Snolly and CC from Australia, and Tennis Elbow from England. 

Switzerland have a reasonable group, and with Group D, England gets through if Italy aren't at their best, otherwise it's tough to say. 

U.S. will be fortunate if they could escape out of their group, but their fortunes would end there, as the Group H favorites Belgium should be waiting.  It's looking like a pretty bad outing for the U.S.  Still, regardless of that, I'm looking forward to arguably the greatest tournament in sports.  Who else is?

Last edited by Lucky_Loser (Dec. 28, 2013 2:35pm)

Re: 2014 Fifa World Cup

Hey Thomas, found your post.

The US have an undeniably tough group there, as do Australia, upsets can always happen and you have to hang on that hope I guess!
Switzerland are in a better position to qualify and obviously Brazil must start as favourites.
For once, I think the English are pretty downbeat (realistic?) about their chances this time round. However, we can sometimes do better against the big teams and slip up against others so let's see...

Yoda Cups: Roland Garros 15, 18, 20; Wimbledon 17; US Open 20; Yoda Guru 2021
Obi Wan Master 16, 17, 20 Lord Vader 15
Han Solo Captain 19, 20
Player of the Year 17, 20

Re: 2014 Fifa World Cup

Australia were in it for much of that game yesterday despite the two early goals and final score of 3-1. 

Costa Rica with the upset today, good for them.  Now England-Italy has just started, but the feature match for me is the late nighter between Nihon and Cote D'Ivoire.

Last edited by Tommy_Dearest (Jun. 14, 2014 5:07pm)