Topic: Best player to never win a slam

There are a lot of great players over the years who have won tournaments on the ATPTour, but never a slam.

Who is the best among those players?

2019 RG Yoda Cup Co-Champion
2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

Re: Best player to never win a slam

ATP only?
Well, Ferrer is definitely the first player that springs to mind.  Guy is amazing.  Would be a multiple Slam winner in the short pre-Fed, post-Sampras era.

-Arvis

Arvis wrote:

ATP only?
Well, Ferrer is definitely the first player that springs to mind.  Guy is amazing.  Would be a multiple Slam winner in the short pre-Fed, post-Sampras era.

-Arvis

In this thread, ATP only.

So, Ferrer would be a contender among the likes of Hewitt and Safin (Post-Sampras and Pre-Fed)? Probably. I think Ferrer's biggest strength is his consistency. He reminds me of another top five player (Davydenko, circa 2006), but more dogged and determined.

What about Tsonga, especially on a hard court?

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Todd Martin comes to mind for me. He was such a hard worker, but never got the fame or notoriety as Sampras, Agassi, Courier, or Chang. Solid player. He made several GS semis, a couple of finals, but never came through.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

A few other players that comes to mind are:
- Norman
- Söderling
- Berdych
- Tsonga

I'm a bit subjective when it comes to the Swedes though wink

Anyone has a list of players with most ATP wins without a Grand Slam title?

Another player is Marcelo Rios, the only player to be ranked number one during open era without a grand slam win.

I would definitely say Berdych and Monfils. When Monfils is focused more on winning than entertaining, he can keep up with the top guys. I would really like to see him make a push for at least a Masters 1000. He is so talented.

I think Tom Okker's name has to be mentioned.  He's the only guy to finish in the yearend top 10 seven times without winning a slam.  Second in this stat is Ferrer who's finished in the yearend top 10 six times.

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

When it comes to match winning percentage in grand slam tournaments for men without a slam title, in the open era the leader in this category is Tsonga, followed by Ferrer, and third is Okker.

I think these 3 are probably the best in the open era not to win a slam...

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

Looking at singles titles won without winning a slam:
1 Okker 26
2 Brian Gottfried 25
2 Jose Luis Clerc 25
4 Eddie Dibbs 22
4 Harold Solomon 22
6 Ferrer 21
6 Davydenko 21
8 Brad Gilbert 20
9 Rios 18
... Tsonga 11

Last edited by dwightcharles (Jan. 10, 2015 6:28am)

Considering all 3 of these categories, Okker is first in two and is 3rd in the other.  So he gets my vote for best in open era not to win a slam.
Next up, I'd vote for Ferrer.

Yearend top 10 finishes without winning a slam

1 Okker 7
2 Ferrer 6
3 Henman 5
3 Davydenko 5
3 Nalbandian 5
3 Tsonga 5
3 Berdych 5
8 Dibbs 4
8 Solomon 4
8 Ramirez 4
8 GMayer 4
8 Clerc 4
8 Enqvist 4
14 Drysdale 3
14 BGottfried 3
14 Teltscher 3
14 Mecir 3
14 Rios 3
14 Coria 3
14 Gasquet 3

dwightcharles wrote:

When it comes to match winning percentage in grand slam tournaments for men without a slam title, in the open era the leader in this category is Tsonga, followed by Ferrer, and third is Okker.

I think these 3 are probably the best in the open era not to win a slam...

Match-winning percentage in slams of non-slam-winners
1 Tsonga 0.752
2 Ferrer 0.718
3 Okker 0.716
4 Nalbandian 0.705
5 Metreveli 0.697
6 Berdych 0.696
7 Raonic 0.686
8 Mecir 0.685

those are some awesome stats you got! not surprised tsonga is on top. he hasn't been a huge impact lately, but he has definitely been a thorn in the foot for the top guys at slams.

1.Robin Soderling
2.Nikolay Davydenko
3.David Nalbandian
4.Miroslav Mecir
5.David Ferrer
6.Marcelo Rios
7.Thomas Enqvist
8.Magnus Norman

Those are the ones I can think of and thats how I rank them. All of them are better than Thomas Johansson, who actually won one grand slam.

I didn't forget players like Berdych and Tsonga, I rather just leave it at eight players than include them simply because I don't think they has been good enough and they also still have a chance at winning, Ferrer is the only one I will include because I don't think he will ever win a slam, his game is simply not dangerous enough to hurt the best players.

Also, two players who almost didn't win a slam, they only got one, is Thomas Muster and Andy Roddick, those two would have topped my list if they didn't get that lone grand slam title.

HundredTennisStats wrote:

A few other players that comes to mind are:
- Norman
- Söderling
- Berdych
- Tsonga

I'm a bit subjective when it comes to the Swedes though wink

Anyone has a list of players with most ATP wins without a Grand Slam title?

Berdych? Seriously?

Berdych is a very very good player.  Had one or two points gone differently at the Australian Open last year, it would have been Berdych, and not Wawa, that was lifting his first ever Slam trophy.

Also, if Rafael Nadal did not exist, Berdych might have won Wimbledon.  So, yeah, definitely worth considering in this discussion.

Yes Berdych can be included in the discussion, absolutely. The reason I didn't include him nor Tsonga in my list is becasue they both are mentally weak. Other than that they are really good players.

If Berdych is "mentally weak", then Tsonga must be "mentally absent" or something much more extreme. The two could hardly be compared in that category.  tongue

Arvis wrote:

Also, if Rafael Nadal did not exist, Berdych might have won Wimbledon.  So, yeah, definitely worth considering in this discussion.

Yes but the same thing could be said about many other players. I Federer and/or Nadal didn't exist Soderling could've had 4 grand slam titles, if Kuerten wasn't such a great claycourt player and didn't exist Norman would've won FO. If Nadal didn't exist Ferrer would probably have won FO also.

And if Federer didn't exist, Andy Roddick would have many more grand slams etc. Sure Berdych is good but he's mentally weak and he hasn't improved his tennis significantly since 2010, he's still weak mentally, he's at the same level in that department like he was back in 2010. If you look at other players, like Soderling, Ferrer, Davydenko (before he got injured) they always improved, every season. Berdych doesn't. Tsonga is even worse, he's getting weaker and weaker.

Berdych has a fairly good chance in this years AO though. Since Nadal is not in 100% shape. But I will not believe he's going to win until I see it. He doesn't win enough titles, if you can't win many small trophies how are you supposed to be able to win majors? You have to make winning a habit in order to get the big trophies. If you look at Wawrinka, he basically didn't win anything until he started to work with Norman but once he did he first started to win titles then he went on to the bigger stage.

Berdych has potential in his tennis but he lacks mentally, something isn't right about him, thats why he doesn't have a grand slam title. I think Wawrinka is more allround and better player than Berdych but if you compare him to Cilic, then I think he's actually better but Cilic is stronger mentally and also a bit smarter I would say.

Last edited by madman (Jan. 24, 2015 11:53am)

Arvis wrote:

If Berdych is "mentally weak", then Tsonga must be "mentally absent" or something much more extreme. The two could hardly be compared in that category.  tongue

Yes Tsonga is terrible, he has been his whole career, it's a shame, he has so much tennis in him but doesn't get it out because he can't focus good enough.

Tennis is such a difficult sport, it's not enough to be technically and physically talented you have to be enormously strong mentally in order to be a great grand slam champion.

I think FO, the year Ferrer reached the final is a great example of how weak Tsonga is mentally. He should've won against Ferrer in the semis, he just couldn't perform.

When considering the best non-major winners of the modern era, you have to accountgl for their performance against the Big Four. These are the  players who have won tournaments in which all of the Big Four have competed:

David Nalbandian (2007 Madrid Masters, 2007 Paris Masters)
Nikolay Davydenko (2008 Miami Masters, 2009 ATP World Tour Finals)
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (2008 Paris Masters)
Ivan Ljubičić (2010 Indian Wells Masters)
Of the players on this list Tsonga is the only player to have won against each member of Big Four in a Grand Slam match(def. Murray at the 2008 Australian Open, Nadal at the 2008 Australian Open, Djokovic at the 2010 Australian Open, and Federer at the 2011 Wimbledon Championships and at the 2013 French Open).

Very interesting, ElToro!
What about players before the big 4?  Any favourites there?

I would have to go with Tom Okker. 7 year end top 10s. Making it to the semis in all four majors. And I heard that his final at the US Open against Ashe was legendary!

Okker is an interesting and little known player.  He was completely overshadowed by Laver, Rosewall, Newcombe, Smith, Ashe, and Nastase in that golden era of tennis, and then by Connors and Borg...  He won 71 tour matches in 1971 (highest for the year) and 91 in 1973.  He only made one GS final but it was a pretty tough era.