Re: The 2013 US Open is on the way!

I agree about Bouchard being too green. The verdict is still out on her. Honestly, I watched her compete in Canada and thought she could move up the rankings. But, I don't have a consistent go-to unseeded player on the womens side, especially for the hard court tournaments. That's why your Safarova pick is genius. May use her in the future. smile

2019 RG Yoda Cup Co-Champion
2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

You'll have to take up using Lucie with her -- but it's fine by me.  We aren't engaged yet.  cool

That said (and I really liked saying that), Lucie is usually a 17-32 seed. 

The only really obvious pick among that group this time was Simona Halep.  10 of the 14 of us in Yoda Cup this time took her, myself included.  We had 5 each for Kuznetsova (including me) & Makarova, 4 for CSN, all 3 of whom are perennial 17-32 picks among the group.  Two each for Petrova & Vesnina, one for Cibulkova.

To me, picking both the lower seeded players and the unseeded are really about going for bonus points while trying to avoid the dreaded -16, which is to say that it's always all about the draw.  So who's in the hunt to be picked changes every slam.  Or so it seems to me.

Because this women's draw offered no obvious choice as the unseeded "go to" pick, here's how it broke out among the 14 members of Yoda Cup playing this tourney:
(4)  Petkovic
(2)  Bouchard & Mattek-Sands
(1)  Hantuchova, Knapp, Lucic, Peng, Safarova & Wickmayer,

Which of these picks were wise & which a disaster waiting to happen?  Time will tell.  Hard to say right now, as my crystal ball seems to have some sort of fuzz in it.  I do like my Safarova pick, though.  Thanks for agreeing about that, 'Nut.

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Aug. 27, 2013 6:40am)

Re: Tommy Robredo
At one point, I was looking at the draw, and I thought "You know, Robredo would be a better 2nd Tier pick than Gulbis.  Maybe I should switch? .......................no, I have to trust that Nishikori will play well in this tournament!"

And this is the last Slam of the year.  I won't be able to redeem myself for this until January. sad

-Arvis

Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru wrote:

The only really obvious pick among that group this time was Simona Halep.  10 of the 14 of us in Yoda Cup this time took her, myself included.  We had 5 each for Kuznetsova (including me) & Makarova, 4 for CSN, all 3 of whom are perennial 17-32 picks among the group.  Two each for Petrova & Vesnina, one for Cibulkova.

Halep? Hmm.... I was tempted to pick her as my unseeded player, given her recent success, especially over Kvitova. Her win over Woz was less surprising giving that Woz has been in a bit of a slump lately. Honestly, I have always looked at Halep as a lightweight, not really capable of beating people in the top twenty. For me, she is the same category as Niculescu, Dulgheru, and Garrigues, 'good' lightweight players. That's quickly changing though, as her stock is rising to 'great' lightweight player.

My 17-32 picks are Vesnina (she's a solid player, and Cristea (given her Canada success). Cristea was a risk, but so far so good.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Sorry, Halep would have been picked as my 17-32 player, not the unseeded pick.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Arvis wrote:

Re: Tommy Robredo
At one point, I was looking at the draw, and I thought "You know, Robredo would be a better 2nd Tier pick than Gulbis.  Maybe I should switch? .......................no, I have to trust that Nishikori will play well in this tournament!"

And this is the last Slam of the year.  I won't be able to redeem myself for this until January. sad

-Arvis

I thought the same thing about Robredo and did not pick him. I was not sure about Nishikori, so I didn't take a chance with him. My picks were Gulbis and Lopez. Gulbis has a lot of mouth, but is not consistent at the majors.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Ugh. Gulbis and now Janowicz. I thought Ferrer had a lesser chance to get to the qtrs, but now its wide open for him. My points standing on the men's side are completely shot.

Last edited by Wimbledonut (Aug. 27, 2013 3:04pm)

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

The two firecrackers (Janowicz & Gulbis) didn't even get to light their fuse in New York eh Wimby. wink

2021 AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

That's a clever way of putting it, Tono. Made me smile, albeit briefly. *sigh*. More like wet firecrackers...

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Ahh two of my women lost. I didn't do as much research on them as I did the men. Does anyone have a suggestion on who I should have picked for my unseeded player?

Wimbledonut wrote:

Halep? Hmm.... I was tempted to pick her as my unseeded player, given her recent success, especially over Kvitova. Her win over Woz was less surprising giving that Woz has been in a bit of a slump lately. Honestly, I have always looked at Halep as a lightweight, not really capable of beating people in the top twenty. For me, she is the same category as Niculescu, Dulgheru, and Garrigues, 'good' lightweight players. That's quickly changing though, as her stock is rising to 'great' lightweight player.

SAY WHAT???  Don't bogart that if it's that strong.  Pass it around.

Simona Halep is a journeyman at 21 years old???  Are you insane???  She's rising like a rocket.  The only thing she hasn't done yet is translate her success week in and week out into success in the majors, but that will happen soon.

Sorry, I'm certain the tone of this is fairly vociferous, but that seems like an unfair slam on a great rising star.

Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru wrote:

SAY WHAT???  Don't bogart that if it's that strong.  Pass it around.

Simona Halep is a journeyman at 21 years old???  Are you insane???  She's rising like a rocket.  The only thing she hasn't done yet is translate her success week in and week out into success in the majors, but that will happen soon.

Sorry, I'm certain the tone of this is fairly vociferous, but that seems like an unfair slam on a great rising star.

Wow, I've pushed a button.

First of all, I never said journeywoman. Second, by 'lightweight', I meant slight in stature, and unable to handle the power of the bigger players. Radwanska was in that group for a while, but she has clearly risen and is among the elite, with ability to absorb power and counterpunch. Halep is in the lightweight group for me, but with her recent wins she is becoming a rising star. This year has been her best year to date, and she won her first title.

Third, if you read my post, I mentioned that her stock was rising and that she could be a great player. I wasn't trying to knock her.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Here we go again.  Love it!  Don't ever change, Don, my man! wink

-Arvis

Wow, Wimbledonut just set off a bomb!

Haha....don't mess with the Don Wimby, if you do I hope you have tough skin. wink

Hey, Wimby is only 15 posts away from getting a Yoda Cup invite, looks like is he gonna be the next Yoda Cupper!! smile

Last edited by Tono (Aug. 28, 2013 8:02pm)

2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Tono wrote:

Haha....don't mess with the Don Wimby, if you do I hope you have tough skin. wink

Hey, Wimby is only 15 posts away from getting a Yoda Cup invite, looks like is he gonna be the next Yoda Cupper!! smile

Yeah, it's pretty tough. Didn't know I was stepping on a landmine when I critiqued Halep, but it's all good.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

10 more posts to go Wimby, you should get your invite before the US Open finishes, then again Don will probably send it after the Open so it doesn't muck up the Yoda Cup leaderboard. wink

Right you are, Tony.  Invitations to Yoda Cup always go out between slams.  Obviously Wimbledonut is closing in on the magic number of 50 posts very fast and will exceed that number during the US Open, which is actually perfect since it means he will be a part of the Yoda Cup competition for the entire year in 2014.

As far as Halep is concerned, it's true that she doesn't have the physical size and power of some of the top players, but there are practically always players in and around the women's top 10 who are not physically imposing.  Halep may or may not become as good and as dominant a player as Radwanska, but I think she will probably eclipse Errani and Schiavone, for instance, who have been top 5 players.  She will if she starts playing the same tennis in the majors that she plays elsewhere, which I think is largely a matter of self-belief. 

Hopefully she'll get stronger as she matures and gets into better shape.  Even so, she will never be a power player, it's true.  Still, to me at least, it seems unfairly dismissive to call such players "lightweights."  By that definition, Martina Hingis and Justine Henin were lightweights as well.  Very dominant #1 in the world lightweights.  It seems to me that way of describing such players fails to do them justice. 

Speaking of getting into better shape, it's obvious that Kvitova has finally committed to her conditioning program.  Much of the baby fat is now gone.  She is beginning to look like an athlete.  If she follows through with that, in a year or two she will be very hard to beat.  Of all the players out there, she is the one who most obviously has the potential to become the next dominant player, and unquestionably to do so she must focus first and foremost on strength and conditioning.  If she does so, her tennis will become more consistent, which is her big problem now.

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Aug. 29, 2013 6:52am)

You're absolutely right about the "leightwieghts" player Don, God I miss Martina Hingis and I'm really looking forward to a possible comeback.

True that Kvitova looks to be in much better physical shape. If she trains  hard on that aspect during the winter, she could be very tough to beat in Australia or even during the next indoor season.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Don, I can see why you, and others, would take offense to the term "lightweight". I did not mean for it to be offensive, but I understand. I will think about coming up with a different description of players who are slight in stature, but who are otherwise efficient in their tennis.

Last edited by Wimbledonut (Aug. 29, 2013 7:28am)

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

I think Halep is a lock for future Top 5.  She's 21, Top 30 in the world already, and she doesn't mess about on court. Just look at her W-L record this year: 39-14 with 4 titles.  That's not a fluke.  If she can stay healthy, physically and mentally, she'll be a Top 10 seed at most Slams next year.

-Arvis

Halep started winning futures events at 15.  She has been improving steadily ever since.  Until this year, she had not won a WTA tournament and now has 4.  So she's considerably better this year than last.  I expect her to be considerably better next year than this, and so on for maybe several years.  I see her as a potential future world #1 even though Petra Kvitova can put her in the hospital anytime she is so inclined.

One of the things I like best about her is the level of aggression she sustains.  It's the reason I think she can hang with the big girls.  But she, like Kvitova, needs to focus on strength and fitness -- for completely different reasons.  For Petra, it's to become consistent and for Simona it's more to gain strength to be able to be even more aggressive.

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Aug. 29, 2013 10:02am)

Ahhh Sam Querry just lost. Didn't expect him to go very far but at least farther than the second round...

God, its the womens draw, they always like to make it difficult for me.... Like real life really isn't it? smile

It sure is tongue
Btw, why do you have a pic of me? ;-)