Topic: The 2013 US Open is on the way!

Hi everybody,

As the Cincy tournament is over, the spotlight will be on the US Open next Monday. This edition looks to be one of the most exciting of the past few years.

Can Murray successfully defend his crown after a poor summer hard court season?
Can Novak strike back after to tough losses in Montreal and Cincy?
Can Rafa complete the hat-trick Montreal-Cincinnati-US Open like Roddick ten years ago?

Rafa should start as the favorite but we all know Novak can beat him. Murray is the third man.

Question is: who will get Federer in his quarter? I bet nobody wants him. Roger has shown good signs and Cincinnati and could be a dark horse here. Del Potro has been playing really well lately and can beat anyone on a given day. Where he lands in the draw will also be closely followed. Finally, the Berd has the firepower to take down one big name or two.. And will Ferrer hit top form again?

For the underdogs, I'd say Isner, Raonic, Gasquet and Wawrinka have a shot and their chances will strongly depend on the draw.

I think we will have at least wo big surprise this year with a few big names taken out "early", most likely the Berd or Ferrer but who knows.

So what is YOUR opinion about this tournament?
What would be your ideal final?
Who do you think will fall early?
Which underdog will go the deepest?

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Re: The 2013 US Open is on the way!

Yeah should be a great US Open this year, there is four or five guys that could realistically win it this time I reckon, although most people would probably say three, Rafa, Nole and Andy must be the top three favourites but Roger and Delpo must fancy their chances too, as you say Berdych could cause a surprise or two but I can't see him or Ferrer winning it.

I like your underdog list but I would add Janowicz and Dimitrov to it also.

Ideal final : ummm....Roger v Delpo! wink
Who will fall early: I'll wait for the draw but my guess would be Gasquet or Ferrer
Underdog To Go Deepest : Again I'll wait for the draw but my guess would be Jerzy or Grigor. wink

It would be good to see some of the younger brigade stand up and be counted in the last GS of the year, lets hope we get two weeks of good weather and some great tennis at Flushing Meadows. big_smile

2021 AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Ideal Final: Roger vs. Anybody

Who will fall early: Janowicz, Wawrinka, Gasquet, Ferrer

Underdog: Don't discount Nishikori.  He'll probably disappoint, since that is what he is best at, but he made the 2nd week here when he was only 18.  I watched both his losses in Cincy (to Lopez) and Canada (to Gasquet) and they were "good" losses to hot players.  Nishikori could be ramping up to make a run.  If he can avoid Top 20 players in his first three matches, look for him to pounce in round 4 and get an upset.
-----> Guys Nishikori needs desperately to avoid: Big 4, Del Potro, Berdych.  Anyone else he can beat.

-Arvis

I have been so extremely busy this summer but in an hour and some odd minutes I am stopping everything and watching this draw. Can't wait. This Open is looking to be really exciting. Lots of question marks and lots of potential threats. Too bad about Sharapova. Her competitive edge will be missed. As far as finals I always root for the players who do well in the lead up tourns to do well so (big shock) GO NADAL!!

1 last time roger, lets do it

I'm really routing for John Isner this year. I just saw him beat Berdych, and I think his confidence level is really high. Obviously he will be the crowds favorite being that he is the highest ranked American in the tournament. If I had to bet for who will win though, I would have to bet on Novac. Ideal final: Novac and Isner!

Would be nice to see Isner make a deep run in a major, especially on home soil. Unfortunately, he runs into Nadal  in the Round of 16. But as much as I would like to see Isner represent the US well, I'd much rather see a Nadal/Federer quarterfinal, and a Nadal (or Federer)/Djokovic (or Murray) final. For me, I'm a Federer fan, so ideally, it would be absolutely beautiful if Federer could surprise everyone and conquer this tournament once again.

Who do you guys think are some of the best unseeded players in the Men's singles draw this year?

Nice to hear your a Fed fan Camdawg......are you fishing for a good unseeded player eh, I'll tell you who I think is good after the picks close. wink

2021 AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

LOL, Camdawg, I have to agree with Tono here.  I'll tell you who I picked tomorrow.  Here's a hint: it's not Donald Young.
By the way, picking an Unseeded here was night impossible.  Even the guy I picked (who I predicted in my bracket would make the Rd of 16) could totally tank and lose early.  There are no obvious choices.  And it gets even worse when you switch to the women's side!

-Arvis

Well ... it was worth a shot. You were generous last time, Arvis, in your analysis of who were the safer and more risky picks. wink

Regarding Donald Young ... I read a pretty good review of the men's draw that gave Young a good chance in making the 3rd round! (http://www.stevegtennis.com/2013/08/us- … -analysis/) Oh, the nerve!!

I wouldn't mind seeing another Federer Nadal match. They probably have one of the biggest rivalries in sports. Still though, I don't think you can completely take him out. Remember a while back when Nadal lost to that Russel guy nobody had even heard of before? You could make the argument that Nadal won at Roland Garros, but lets face it: we all know that Nadal plays his best on clay. I think that when they run into each other Isner at least has a shot.

I have no faith in Isner to go pass the third round. Sure, he's a great 2 sets out of 3 guy. But he still lacks that stamina to hang 5 sets match to match. Fortunately, his improved return game doesn't always necessitate a tiebreak. However, I think he will still fall early (third round).

2019 RG Yoda Cup Co-Champion
2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

So what is YOUR opinion about this tournament? Men's - interested to see if Nole and Murray can bounce back from the hardcourt summer "slump". Bummed that Fed get's Nadal so early. Womens - I wish Sharapova was playing (the more the merrier). I wish Martina was playing singles instead of doubles. It would be really interesting to see how far she went in singles, since Hantuchova has been an albatross around her neck in doubles. I don't see them pass the 2nd round

What would be your ideal final? Men's - Fed versus Del Po. Women's - Serena vs. Azarenka

Who do you think will fall early? Men - Ferrer, Querrey, Gasquet, Tipsarevic; Women - Kerber. Serena - slight suspicion that she is injured and/or fatigued. Sloane/Hampton might get her.

Which underdog will go the deepest? - Men, Women - ???? (see after the draw)

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Camdawg wrote:

Well ... it was worth a shot. You were generous last time, Arvis, in your analysis of who were the safer and more risky picks. wink

Wimbledon always gets me in a more analytical mood.  Also, there were a plethora of interesting unseeded picks there.  There really aren't any "safe" unseeded picks at this tournament, so any analysis would give away my selection.

But to be fair, here's a list of guys that will give you the best chance to avoid a -16:
Granollers
Lu
Sock
Bautista-Agut
Klizan (almost guaranteed 1st round win)
Kudla
Haase
Tomic
Pospisil

-Arvis

Thanks, Arvis. Granollers was my first choice and I went with him. I think he has a good chance of reaching the 3rd or even 4th round, but we'll see. I agree with your other unseeded players too, although Sock could disappoint; he retired in his first match at Winston Salem last week.

I picked Tomic as my unseeded player, and he is in trouble presently in the third set. Maybe the off-court stuff with his dad being banned from the tourney is affecting him.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

jolivegarden wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing another Federer Nadal match. They probably have one of the biggest rivalries in sports. Still though, I don't think you can completely take him out. Remember a while back when Nadal lost to that Russel guy nobody had even heard of before? You could make the argument that Nadal won at Roland Garros, but lets face it: we all know that Nadal plays his best on clay. I think that when they run into each other Isner at least has a shot.

Personally, I just don't think King Roger has the hunger to push through to the final for this grand slam....If he has at least one match that goes 4+ hours, I think he is done....once you get married, have kids, have a gillion dollars in the bank....hard to be motivated.....

What would be fun is to see Potro and Monfils play a semi....there would some serious ball bashing...

I don't think Roger will either. I was just saying that seeing him and Nadal again would be fun. Fed doesn't really have that great of a chance.

Wimbledonut wrote:

I have no faith in Isner to go pass the third round. Sure, he's a great 2 sets out of 3 guy. But he still lacks that stamina to hang 5 sets match to match. Fortunately, his improved return game doesn't always necessitate a tiebreak. However, I think he will still fall early (third round).

I agree.....Unless someone arrives via spaceship, I do not see a real US men's contender for the finals for the next 5 years.  sad

Last edited by vegastriguy (Aug. 26, 2013 5:09pm)

I do agree that it's highly unlikely, but I still think that he could be the dark horse.

Personally, I just don't think King Roger has the hunger to push through to the final for this grand slam....If he has at least one match that goes 4+ hours, I think he is done....once you get married, have kids, have a gillion dollars in the bank....hard to be motivated.....

What would be fun is to see Potro and Monfils play a semi....there would some serious ball bashing...

I agree. I think Roger is motivated to a point. Good luck with that hypothetical semi. Monfils is so gimpy right now. He might retire to injury or fall early.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Robredo was probably the smartest 17-32 men's pick now that Nishikori crashed out to nobody.  Too bad I didn't pick him.  My mistake.  Bonus points on the way for those who did.  Nicely done, smarty pantses!!!

Women's unseeded is the $64,000 Question.  14 Yoda Cup members took 9 different women!!!  I'm damn proud to have stuck with my own sweet Lucie Safarova, whom I have had on my team on numerous occasions and yet I have nearly always (well OK, "usually" then) been competitive to win it all.  She's my little Bohemian ex-secret.  Love that girl.

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Aug. 26, 2013 9:17pm)

Safarova is a good choice. I always have a tough time with the women's unseeded player. Went with Bouchard this time, but I have not always been fortunate.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

I like Bouchard.  Like her game, her instincts, the way she walks around the court.  Lot to like there.
She is so VERY young now yet, though -- and a big girl, to boot, who will mature late probably.
She knows how to compete.  She has some power & game, with some years developing both, lots of both.
Not yet IMHO.  Too green.

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Aug. 26, 2013 10:00pm)