2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Re: Tennis Channel Bracket

YOU SHOULD BE! >:(

-Arvis

Here is the e-mail history:

I sent this:
"Our pool named "Wookie Revival Medal?" has a member who thought he had recorded his picks, but whose picks were not recorded for unknown reasons. He is shown as a member of our pool and his score is shown as 0. Fair enough. The picks didn't get recorded and that's on him. However, you are computing our pool's average including him as a member and his 0 as a score, which is patently unfair to the other members of the pool, which would otherwise be 3rd at the moment.When, for whatever reason, a member of a pool does not participate (i.e. has no recorded picks for an event), then for that event that member should NOT be counted as a member of the league. As a matter of simple fairness, the scores of the members who make picks should be divided by how many of them there actually are in that event, and that should be the pool's average. Counting zeros is utterly unfair to those who made picks."

They responded as follows:
"Hi there,

Thanks for your email. I am sorry but we are unable to do this. This is stated in the game rules and FAQ's. Sorry for any inconvenience. Here is the FAQ copied and pasted into this reply:

*How can I move my profile from one Private Pool to another?

You are unable to move profiles in and out of Private Pools. Once you have entered a Private Pool, your profile will remain in it forever.

Regards,
Support Team"

To which I responded as follows earlier today:
"That is NOT what I'm asking.  There is absolutely NO NEED to move anyone's profile in or out of any pool.  All you need to do is calculate the average of all pools based not on the number of people who are "members" of the pool but rather on the number of members who are actually participating in any given slam.  To do otherwise is to punish EVERYONE in the pool because life intervened in some way to prevent one of the members of the pool from participating in the tourney.  To punish everyone in a pool for the non-participation of one of the pool's members is mean spirited, TOTALLY UNNECESSARY and patently unfair."

This is a fight I cannot expect to win without vocal support from each & every one of you.
Your e-mail, in its title, should reference #5150075.  Thank you in advance for your help, my friends. 
Fairness requires this.  N'est-ce pas?

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 16, 2013 3:55pm)

Tout à fait Monsieur Denman!

I'll do that in the next couple of days smile

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year

That entire thing is insane.

"We lock in all entries to Private Pools with ultra-adamantium locking mechanisms that NASA uses to shield themselves from the sun's radiation.  Nothing can move a person out of a Private Pool, not even us.  When the universe ends, there will still be this small bit of data that keeps everyone's Private Pool locked in place forever.  This is dangerous technology that we don't fully understand and should only be used for proper Fantasy Tennis purposes."

What!?  How can they not edit their own data?

-Arvis

mumbo jumbo jargon

Last edited by backhandpass (Jan. 16, 2013 5:08pm)

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Or, as it is sometimes called, smug, self-serving bullshit.

However, the bullshit misses the point entirely.  NO ONE NEEDS TO BE DROPPED FROM ANY POOL.

ALL THESE MORONS NEED TO DO IS CALCULATE POOL AVERAGES FOR EACH SLAM BASED UPON THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE ACTUALLY PLAYING THAT SLAM INSTEAD OF "MEMBERS" OF THE POOL.  SIMPLE PROGRAMMING CHANGE THAT TAKES FIVE MINUTES!!!

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 16, 2013 5:57pm)

Ok, Day 4 and Round 2 complete!  How are we looking?

Wookie Revival Medal?:
Don - 96 (Rank: 1529/8872)
BHP - 95
Wolmas - 95
Tono - 94
Arvis - 93
Adunar - 90

A great example of how FIERCE this battle is for the Wookie Medal: Arvis is THREE POINTS behind the leader, Don, but FOUR RANKS back!

Princess Leia Tiara:
Don - 90 (Rank: 80/5572)
Arvis - 89
Tono - 84
Mike - 80
Adunar - 77
BHP - 73

Don is a True Guru right now, leading both competitions.

After four days of competition, the Princess Leia Tiara is in 1st place in the world ALONE now!  A full point ahead of 2nd!  That's 4 days of 1st or tied for 1st place for the Princess Leia Tiara.  How long can we make this last??

-Arvis

Needs an update, Arvis!  We're now 2 points ahead of the 2nd best women's tennis pool in the world!
It tells me I'm 49th, but I notice that the person in 18th place has 109 points.  I have 108. 
Maybe the leader board for me next?  That would be cool!

BHP took over the lead in men's two points ahead of me, & I've slipped to 3rd, but my overall rank improved!
You guys are good!  However, not as good as in women's.  If they calculated our average fairly, we would be 4th, not too bad I guess -- BUT the top team's average is 117 while BHP leads our group with 116.

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 18, 2013 12:10pm)

I just wish the TCB site was more user friendly....I miss TDC and the Chivalrous Wookie Medal! sad

2021 AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

I wouldn't say TDC was "user-friendly" by any stretch of the imagination.  I just got accustomed to the quirks after a while.

But it was better than the Tennis Channel site, for sure.

-Arvis

Last edited by Arvis (Jan. 18, 2013 3:46pm)

Haha true!

2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

AND the folks who ran it were reasonable people who appreciated good suggestions, instead of supercilious smart asses who could care less about the quality of their product like the bozos at the Tennis Channel site.

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 18, 2013 4:25pm)

The word of the day is: "supercilious."  Meaning "to be haughty or high-minded; arrogant." - Arvis Dictionary

-Arvis

Nice definition.  Put another way, to be supercilious is to carry yourself as though you're better than others.

Well, I guess I am no Webster. sad

-Arvis

Ok, here are the results after Day 6:

Wookie Revival Medal
Don - 129
BHP - 128
Tono - 127
Adunar - 126
Arvis - 126
Wolmas - 125

Wolmas is 4 points behind the leader and in last place.  Unbelievable.
However, I will say this: I am the only one who doesn't have the Top 4 seeds in the semifinals, so unless Andy Murray wins the tournament, I will be getting last, it looks like.
Without Mike's zero, Wookie Revival Medal is tied for 5th place in the world, with an average score of 127 points.

Princess Leia Tiara
Don - 126 (Ranked Top 20! GO DON!)
Arvis - 116
Tono - 114
Mike - 104
BHB - 103
Adunar - 101

Vinci choking against Vesnina ruined my chance to catch up with Don and gave him a nice comfy lead going into the Round of 16.
Everyone in the group has Serena winning, so it all comes down to what happens with Maria Sharapova. 
If Shazza makes the finals, Don wins.  Period.  This is the most likely scenario.
If Radwanska beats Sharapova in the semis, Tono might just sneak out a win over Don!
If Kerber beats Sharapova in the quarters, then loses to Radwanska in the semis, Arvis will win, period.  This is the least-likely scenario.
If Kerber makes the finals, I don't know what will happen, exactly, as it will be close between Arvis and Don, but I DO know that Arvis will be happy.

The Princess Leia Tiara is still in 1st place worldwide, but only by a point now.  We owe a lot to Don for bring our average up, 9 points higher than our last place member.

-Arvis

Very impressive for our little group I reckon especially Don, well done Mr D smile...your consistent selection performance deserves praise and has to be be admired.

Picking Hewitt to make the quarters cost me any shot at a better result in the men's section on TCB but I'm only 2 pts behind the Guru so not bad for a first up effort in Wookie Revival I reckon.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. 

Considering that I didn't like my start in either men's or women's, I'm really quite surprised to be doing so well on the women's side.  But it certainly is nice to be on the leaderboard!   ;-D  It calls me 16th, but actually I'm tied for 11th, 3 points out of 1st.  Sweet!!!

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 19, 2013 7:52pm)

Heading into the Quarterfinals, here are the numbers for our Tennis Channel Brackets...

Wookie Revival Medal
Wolmas - 160 (1327/8885)
Tono - 157
Adunar - 156
Arvis - 156
Don - 154
BHP - 153

Nicolas Almagro got Wolmas from last place to 1st, and Richard Gasquet got Don and BHP from 1st and 2nd place to bottom of the table.  These are the margins we're playing with in these brackets right now, folks.  An incredibly tight competition.
After the men's quarterfinals, the only change in ranks here will be Arvis in last place.  Everyone else will be in the same relative positions.
We have an average of 156 points, which is good for around 10th place worldwide, but since TC hasn't updated the Pool Standings for the men, I can't give an exact placement.

Princess Leia Tiara
Don - 151 (51/5616)
Arvis -146
Tono - 144
BHP - 133
Mike - 129
Adunar - 126

Princess Leia Tiara hangs on to 1st place for another day.  We've been first place since Day 1 completed, and as far as I know, we've never lost it, only been tied for first with other groups.  This might be the most impressive performance of the Yoda Crew ever, and Don is still leading the charge.

-Arvis

We only have a 1 point lead over ETeezy's but we have a huge 8 point lead over the team in 3rd.  Among the women's pools, it is so far very much a two horse race. 

Unfortunately, here we go again with a scoring system interested only in late round results.  So who knows.  We could lose to a flock of geese if there's a surprise winner.

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 21, 2013 3:16pm)

The Princess Leia Tiara is in 2nd place now, and it's my fault. sad
I am really sorry, guys.

-Arvis

Arvis - Come on now. It's not your fault. It's not like I helped out by having Lisicke and Kvitova in for so long on my draw. We are still doing well and it's not over yet. Chin up.

Well, let's see. We're 2nd in the world in women's & 4th in the world in men's (ignoring their stupid policy of averaging in 0's).  And Arvis is not happy with that.  I love the competitive spirit in that.  Arvis is right.  We can do better, guys!  Which would be fairly cool.   ;-D

And our Men's brackets are so damn close. What is it, 7 points between the first (Thomas) and the 6th (BHP) and 14 between the first and the last. Couldn't be any closer.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year