Re: The US Open starts soon...

Del Potro is definitely not a "safe" pick, by any means, but if he gets past Nalbandian then you have to like his chances to make the QFs.  Not many folks in his 8th should trouble him if he's healthy: Harrison, Seppi, Robredo, Roddick, Monaco... none of them are really in his caliber right now.  If he's struggling with injury, though, he could go down to Seppi or Monaco is they're playing to their potential.

But really, in the Wacky World of Tennis, who IS a "safe" pick?  (besides Federer and Djokovic)

-Arvis

So ... Nalbandian withdrew from the Open!! All of a sudden, my Del Potro pick is looking a whole lot better!! Any updates as to why Nalbandian withdrew?

Rib injury I think is what they said.

-Arvis

Did anyone have Fed going out in the quarters?

Why? That would be crazy! There must be some people though...

Oh, near 50 posts. Next Yoda crew member?

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

I figured the loss must be shooting the people who love to pick all upsets towards the top of groups. I'm never that guy but congrats to the ones with the guts.

Well usually those guys going for the upset do not finish at the top of the rankings. They might get an upset or two, but they surely MISS the "usual" big picks which reward miuch mor points on the long term ;-)

I didn't pick Federer for my team. I was actually predicting Isner upsetting him, but Isner more of made me upset when he lost too soon to try...

The only way Isner was going to upset Fed would be in the Finals... did you think Isner was going to beat Fed in the finals?  And if so, Fed should still have been on your team if you thought he was going to make the finals... >.>

-Arvis

I'm talking about after I saw the draw, where they would meet in the round of 16 (I think). It was more of just my wishful thinking over anything else. We all know Isner can take out the top players if he's making a high percentage of his first serve.

I'm not sure what draw you were looking at, but Isner wasn't even in the same half as Fed, much less the same quarter.  Sorry. sad

He was in Ferrer's quarter and lost to Kohlschreiber in 5 sets.

-Arvis

And you are absolutely right! haha. I meant Fish, not Isner. Now I feel like an idiot. I had Fish as my hopeful upset over Federer, then he didn't even play.

Hangovers suck...

LOL - I was so confused. That's a gutsy hope for Fish over Federer. I'd never think of that pick. And I still can't wrap my head around no Federer on your team. Kudos for guts.

Acually, I COULD have figured that out on my own! big_smile

Yeah, I thought Fish would beat Fed in Cincy, but not here.  I don't think anybody saw Berdych coming.  You think he can beat Murray?

-Arvis

I knew Berdych was getting his game together but I thought that it just read that way because so many guys weren't playing because of the whole Olympic schedule issue. I didn't think he'd get so strong so quickly. I definitely think he could take Murray. He has a good record against him and I think he has been playing a bit better than Murray. I was surprised that he showed the mental toughness against federer. If he can survive and let down from that win and the nerves of the occasion I see him winning. Murray always seems to fall short. Maybe the Olympics can break him of that.

I don't see Murray losing to Berdych. Whenever someone pulls out a big upset, you rarely every see them win the next match

Except for Berdych at 2010 Wimbledon, who beat Fed in the quarters... and then went on to straight-set Djokovic to make the finals.

*ominous*

-Arvis

That's why I said rarely as opposed to never. Even though it'd ruin my team (Murray vs. Djokovic) in the finals, I'd love to see it happen. Berdych is a fun guy to watch

Love the ominous. Berdych in definitely adds a different dynamic to this Open. When was the last time there wasn't Nadal or Fed in a GS semi. It's exciting. I'm just hoping that they both come out to win it. When Berdych believes - he can win.

Yep that should be a close match between Murray & Berdych....Andy might be able to deal with the pace of Tomas' shots a bit better than Fed but if Berdych catches fire and gets on a roll he is as good to watch as anyone I reckon.

Only 3 more posts to go MIKETM! wink

2021 AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Yep, almsot there man!

Murray sure has the game to counter punch Berdych. More than Roger at least. If Murray returns well then he shouldn't have any problem at all. I'd say Murray in four.

For the other semis, there are two options:
1) Novak is way ahead of Ferrer and crushes him in a score such as 7-5 6-2 6-1
2) Ferrer is playing incredible and Novak not at his best: tight match. At least four sets including two very close ones. In a fifth set against Ferrer, you never know...

One thing: Novak can break Ferrer at almost ANY time if he plays well. Ferrer will be able to break from time to time if Novak's 1st serve percentage drops. There will surely be a lot of breaks in this match...

I never really watched too much of the womens tennis, and we usually talk about the mens draw, but I have to say Serena has been amazing. I tipped Azarenka at the start to beat Serena but I think I will be actually going for Serena. She will go down as one of the greats in womens tennis.

Snolly is starting to post smile.....will he reach 50 posts before the Aussie Open??

MIKETM732 & Snollygoster could make the Yoda Cup VERY interesting in 2013!! big_smile

2021 AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

I see Novak taking care of Ferrer pretty easily. He knows the other two of the big three are not in his way and he's dying to win something again. Is this the same man that completely dominated last year? He's going to want to prove hes still in there and ready to dominate again.

Snolly is right. The women get overlooked. That Vika/Maria match was a slugfest. Ruined my team again but what can you do. Loved the fight that both players had. Maria must have been devastated. Serena looks ridiculously amazing. I hope she doesn't choke like she did last year. She didn't even show up mentally that night -couldn't get a ball in play. I have tickets to the match so I'm really hoping they are both on form so it's competitive.

Enjoy the match Mike, should be another slugfest. Cant see Serena playing like she did last year, in fact I woldn't ne surprised to see a straight setter, tho that will ruin my team as well...