Topic: Wimbledon starts soon...

The French Open has just finished but the grass court "mini-season" is under way now and is leading us to th third Grand Slam of the year: the traditional and beloved Wimbledon.

I know the grass season has just begun but I feel like we could discuss about the upcoming Grand Slam and players that might shine in this very particuliar surface.

I think that this wimbledon looks uncertain as no favorite pops up clearly and many upsets can occur on grass against a big server like Raonic, Isner, Karlovic, Llodra... Lets look at the main contenders.

Novak is world n°1, the defending champion. He just played great RG and reach his first ever final there. Can he retain his title? I'm not sure he will win Wimbledon ever again but he became world n°1 last year with his victory here. He should made a strong run at least to the QF where he should be very careful if he faces the likes of Tsonga, Berdych, Isner or even Tipsy.

Rafa just won a record 7th RG crown and looks hungrier than ever. He will look for a good warm up in Halle before going to London. I think he's the favorite this time. His confidence is boosted and he's eager to hold the #1 spot again. Will surely make it to the SF unless a pumped-up Tsonga plays as he did against Federer last year.

Roger loves grass. Roger loves Wimbledon. He could enter the legend and equal Pistol Pete by winning his 7th Wimby crown. I think he has a big shot. He was in top forme last year but came up short against an incredible Tsonga. He's not going to be surprised that early this year I think. Watch out for him, he will get at least to the SF and probably even further.

Murray and Wimbledon. At home, he's had three SF exits the last three years against Roddick and twice Rafa. Can he beat a top 3 this time? I don't think he can beat Rafa or Roger but maybe Novak. But first, he has to get to the QF before being a real threat.

Then we have Tsonga who plays very well on grass. He can beat anybody on a good day. Watch out for him, he's definitely going to go far.

Berdych is a former finalist and good grass court player. I think he's a bit tired after his long and succesful clay court season. I'm not sure he can go further than a QF.

Ferrer can make it to R16, maybe QF is the draw is a piece of cake. Not further.
DelPo is uncertain with his knee. If he's 100%, watch out, he could take out a big boy.
Tipsy is a tricky opponent. e can knock out a Novak or Murray. No further than a QF IMO.
Isner could definitely have a deep run. His serve is amazing on grass and can get through 4 or 5 setters in less than three hours with his huge serve. I can see him make a good run if he has a good start in the first few rounds.
Raonic has a great potential on grass he has yet to fulfil. Will Wimbledon be his breakthrough?

Watch out for the 'oldies' Roddick, Hewitt and Nalbandian. Youzhny and Gasquet are always dangerous too on grass. Haas, Tomic and Karlovic can also be tough to beat.

I've only passed lightly on the main players.
What do you think?

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Re: Wimbledon starts soon...

I say Djokovic and Kvitova BOTH defend their crowns.

How often does that happen, actually?  I'm sure it used to happen a lot in the Federer/Serena Age.

I also like to see Raonic do well and Roddick step his game up and make the second week.  But I am predicting another Isner let down until the summer hardcourts, where he's going to start tearing it up again.

Look for Tsonga to tear his section of the draw to pieces. He's a confidence player, and I don't think I have ever seen him so confident.  His SF run here last year will only fuel him further.

-Arvis

I hope you haven't jinxed Novak and Petra by saying that Arvis!!! wink lol

I will check back in another time and give my views later. smile

2021 - OG Champ, AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

I'm not sure i say Novak/Federer or Sharapova/Williams.  Depending on the draw of course.  Any player with a big serve is huge here and can make a deep run.  Even Isner this year with his improved play.  I'll say Isner, Berdych, Tsonga, Roddick, and Murray are ones to look out for.  Ferrer could meet someone with a huge serve early and be in huge trouble so I guess it depends on the draw.

If Federer serves and plays as poorly as he did in the French, he will at best make the SF and could be taken out early. He never found his comfort zone, and that is very troubling going into this one where you can ill afford to have a shaky start if you run into the right opponent.

Yep have to agree Scotty....Federer's serve is now his key shot, if he is not getting those free points off his serve then it seems to hinder him a bit, his forehand needs to be on song at Wimby too....hopefully he will do well this year, would love to see him win it again! smile

Novak will be highly motivated to do well again and defend his title and as always he should go deep in the tourney, Rafa is in great form and will certainly fancy his chances at SW19 this year, can he go on a GS tear of his own now I wonder??

Murray will have the expectation of the home fans and media to contend with once again, semis again maybe his best shot but imagine the fanfare in London if he made it to the final!

Tsonga could be very dangerous given the right draw as could Berdych, Ferrer will need a kind draw to go deep I think, it's not his best surface but Delpo could improve this year but not if his knee is not up to it......then of course we have the three big servers to think about, Raonic, Isner and Roddick!......These three could potentially turn the whole draw upside down....imagine this for a moment, Raonic takes out Rafa....Isner takes out Nole...and Roddick takes out Murray, Tsonga or Berdych!.....Highly unlikely I know but we haven't had a real weird GS for quite a while now....I bet a certain Swiss Maestro would just love that scenario huh. wink

2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Well those big servers can beat almost anybody on grass on a great serving day. Though I don't think they can beat Federer...

Federer's serve is a huge question mark. It wasn't effective AT ALL against Djokovic in RG but the court was VERY SLOW. It won't be the case on grass. So if he can serve well he will go far whoever he faces in the early rounds. In addition, he plays in Halle, which is great, so he can adapt to the surface. He will look for a 6th title in Halle and a 7th in Wimbeldon -> Sampras' record. I think if he can win in Halle, he's going to have a very deep run at Wimbledon (F or W). Nadal usually doesn't perform so well in his first grass tournament. I expect him to lose in the QF or SF. He just wants to play a few matches before Wimbledon. He doesn't really care about winning it.

I'd love the Nadal and Djokvic to have an early (before the final) loss so that Federer can make some ground for the n°1 spot. I think anything can happen at Wimbledon. A lot will depend upon the draw which will be out next Friday smile

Roddick isn't looking so hot. I am not sure he has much left in the tank as far as surprises go. Already had an early exit in his Wimby warmup.

Yep maybe it's time for Andy to think about starting a family with his model wife.....I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire at the US Open this year or maybe next at the latest.

Yep, he's completed run out of form though he didn't play that bad today. Too bad he's lone good match this year was against Federer in Miami 3rd round...

What about Isner? Can he win Wimbledon?

In one word my friend...NO! lol

Haha well it's pretty unlikely. But I think he can go very deep. he can knock out some top seeds in 3 or 4 tie-breaks if he can hold his nerves. Maybe not a win, but a QF or SF is not unreachable!

Tommy Haas could be a darkhorse too... he plays well on grass. So does Kohlschreiber.

Oh and guess what? I just read that Hamburg wanted it's 2012 500 tourney to be on grass but were denied by the ATP. What a shame... A Grass 500 two weeks after Wimbledon and 10 days before the Olympics could have been GREAT!

Yeah that is a shame...maybe they should petition fans about adding a grass court 500 tourney on the tour.....just over a week to go before the Wimbledon draw comes out!! big_smile

Based on what we're seeing this week, get ready for some shockers.  My pick for Roddick is he fails to make the 3rd round at Wimbledon.  Mahut may do better than Isner.  That would be funny.  Probably Chela will make the semis -- or something equally ridiculous.

Officially prepared for the rest of the year - making my comeback at Wimbledon, with maybe a few preparation tourneys beforehand (FTT). Notice the pic change - Soderling. I've been out, injured, and now I'm prepared to make my comeback to form.

Beware.

EDIT NOTE: Not sure if the Soderling pic is showing yet... (still see Ferrer on my computer)

Last edited by CrossCourt (Jun. 14, 2012 1:20am)

Yeah I still see the Ferrer picture too Cross Court...

Chela in a SF at Wimbledon? I'd say there are moer chances that Mahut wins the tourney Don wink

Any other crazy ideas? like none of the top4 in the semis? To non-former GS winners in the final?

CrossCourt wrote:

Officially prepared for the rest of the year - making my comeback at Wimbledon, with maybe a few preparation tourneys beforehand (FTT). Notice the pic change - Soderling. I've been out, injured, and now I'm prepared to make my comeback to form.

Beware.

That's awesome news CC!! big_smile.......be great to have you back on board with us. smile

CROSSCOURT!!!! T_T
Oh how you have been missed....

...unless, of course, you beat me at Wimbledon.  In which case, go back to where you came from.

-Arvis

Tsonga possibly out for Wimbledon sure does make this tournament a whole lot safer for the top 3

Yes, it also makes my draw analysis a lot safe and less complicated.

-Arvis

There's an interesting match starting now at Queens between Nalbandian and Malisse.  Their head to head rivalry began ten years ago in the semis of Wimbledon.  David won that match, but it was no stroll in the park:
7-6, 6-4, 1-6, 2-6, 6-2.  Nobody would want to play the Malisse from the 3rd and 4th sets of that match.  They would surely lose.  Nalbandian of course got memorably spanked in the final by Hewitt 6-1, 6-3, 6-2.  David was seen as having seriously overachieved, especially since it happened on what was at the time pretty fast grass. 

Malisse as a junior player was seen as a probable future world #1.  Few players of his talent level who have not had their careers ruined by injury have accomplished so little.  Xavier may be the most gifted underachiever of all time.  Nalbandian, on the other hand, usually hangs with you no matter who you are, so he has a lot of wins against the game's very best.  He has repeatedly come back strong from injury.  David is one of the most resilient players of all time. 

Today Malisse starts with an edge, since earlier today Nalbandian played and defeated Roger-Vasselin in a three-setter and is back on court after Hewitt and Roddick -- once the second and third best grass court players on earth, but now mere mortals --  lost a doubles match to a much better team.  But David is a warrior, and when healthy and fit he's a tough out for anybody.  However, two matches today may be a bit much to ask of a guy 30 years old fighting his way back from injury yet again.  David got up a break at 4-2 and then lost 4 games in a row.  He may be toast.  Nonetheless, Vamos Nalbandian!!!

Last edited by Don (Jun. 15, 2012 12:04pm)

Wow.  I didn't know Professor X's history at all.

If Malisse and Nalbandian were formed into one person, how many Slams would they have?

-Arvis

With Malisse's head and Nalbandian's body, we would never have heard of the guy.  With Nalbandian's mentality and attitude and Malisse's talent, that's a pretty good question.

In fairness to the X man, there are lots of promising juniors who don't live up to their potential.  He was far more promising than most of them, though.  Still, he spent a lot of time at Bollittieri's and although I'm pretty sure that Xavier is one of Nick's disappointments, Nick is quick to identify his greatest disappointment as Marcelo Rios, Mr. Bad Attitude himself, who Bollittieri calls "by far the most talented player I have ever seen" and about whom Mr. Nice Guy Justin Gimelstob says, "He was unpleasant on the court and he was unpleasant off the court."  So there is that to save the X man from that dubious notoriety at least.

Last edited by Don (Jun. 15, 2012 1:53pm)

David, along with Roddick have to be the two most unpredictable players on tour now.

However it was nice to see Nalbandian come back and fight off Malisse. Unbelievable work ethic