Re: The Rise & Rise Of John Isner!!

I totally agree.  You can train and practice in Europe.  It's not like nobody in all of Europe will let Isner practice on their court or work out in their gym.  Coming back to the US after Davis Cup and missing Monte Carlo when you were just there is exactly the sort of dumb move Americans have been making with regard to the clay court season for many, many years.  Hopefully in the future Big John will establish a more reasonable paradigm and other Americans will follow.  I'd love to see a bunch of guys from the US scrapping it out on the dirt throughout the entire clay season myself.

Last edited by Don (Apr. 13, 2012 4:51pm)

I'm astonished at what Big John has done with his career to this point. I first saw him play in 2007 I believe, and at the time I thought he would be nothing more than an Ivo Karlovic clone. The difference between John and Ivo is John has weapons beyond his serve. Ivo has just about no forehand to speak of and not much of a backhand beyond the chip. He relies on net-play to win most of his rallies. John has a solid backhand that will keep rallies going from the baseline and a forehand that can be explosive at times. And then of course he has very good volleying skills. He has certainly maximized his potential in my opinion. Every kid in the academies not just in the US, but the entire world should look to him for inspiration. He went to college and has become a top 10 player in the world, something I don't think many people saw coming when he first hit the courts. He's earned his spot as the #1 American player and hopefully he can lead the Davis Cup team to would would be an unlikely win.

'12 GSFT US Open Overall Champ
'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'20 Yoda Cup AO Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ

I loooooove John Isner. I love to watch his matches. I think he has one of the best serves on the tour. Did anyone else just see him beat Berdych yesterday?

Did he and Berdych play an exo yesterday or something?

-Arvis

I was just channel flipping and there was the finals of a tournament I had never heard of before was on. Berdych and Isner were playing. Isner won 2 out of three sets. It was weird though because I thought the men always played 3 out of 5 sets...

Oh, it was in the US open series.

Sounds like you watched a repeat.  US Open starts today and men only play Best 3 of 5 in Grand Slams. smile
Isner has Nadal in the 4th round, so that will be as far as he will get unless Nadal loses before then, which is pretty unlikely.  Maybe Pospisil could catch fire and throw Nadal off rhythm with his serve and solid backhand.  But yeah, more likely he'll get triple-breadsticked.

-Arvis

As an American, I guess I am supposed to have some faith in the best American tennis player, John Isner. Everyone knows his serve is massive, rendering him virtually unbreakable. Also, his return game has improved as he is timing his returns wonderfully and getting them back with pace. Despite all of this, I don't have much hope for him reaching the later rounds of the USOpen. 1. His stamina, while improved, continues to be a liability. This was not evident during the summer hardcourt season in the best of 3 format, but will be at the best of 5, USOpen. 2. His draw is difficult. After getting past Volandri in the first round, he would play Monfils in second round. He should get past him, especially since Monfils was gimpy in the W-S final. But, he is a bit of a possum player and could test John. Then, Isner would have to face Kohlschreiber (who beat John at last years open in 5 sets), then Nadal (who just beat him and is 4-0 against Isner), then Federer (whom Isner beat once in five meetings, winning on clay). Tough, tough proposition for John. 3. Blake's retirement. While some of the focus will be on James' legacy and impact on American tennis, other attention will be placed on the "next" big American tennis player. This will put more pressure on John, who will likely be asked about James Blake and the overall decline in American tennis (Fish will be mentioned too). I think this will put added pressure on Isner to perform. So, given his stamina, his draw, and the added expectations following Blake's retirement (& Fish on the way out), I don't have much faith in John making it to the second week. For the record, I hope he proves me wrong.

2019 RG Yoda Cup Co-Champion
2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

Oh yeah just checked, it happened a while back. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, Isner does have some endurance problem. However, I don't think it would be impossible for him to get deep into the tournament.

Isner lost a winnable match today against Kohlshreiber. Not surprised, but still a bit disappointed.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

@Wimbledonut: Absoolutely beautiful, dead on analysis of Isner's game, mentality & problem(s). 

(Note:  he's comparatively old for a new guy.  When you rattle it around the old 8-ball, it always comes up: "Forget it."  Every time.  Word.)

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Sep. 1, 2013 10:46am)

Thanks, Don. BTW, I like the 8-ball reference. You took me back for a minute.

You're right-John is an old (Bull)dog, but still new in some ways. He still has some work to do in order to win the big one.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

I do think that now that he's coming forward a lot more often than he used to, he has a better chance to go deep, both at the US Open and Wimbledon.  That said, stamina is a problem for guys that big.  His movement is a liability and always will be.  He needs to improve his backhand.  But the serve makes him formidable, the new found aggression is tactically smart, and his game is improving.  Still, I doubt that his top end is very far beyond where he is now.

I do think his biggest problem is his stamina. He can win 2/3 set matches with ease, but when he gets into any large 3/5 set tournament he breaks.