Topic: The Rise & Rise Of John Isner!!

With my favourite American on the ATP World Tour being the flavour of the month right now I thought it might be time to start a thread solely on big JOHN ISNER!! big_smile

Jim Courier has really given Isner the self belief in 2012 to be more aggressive off the ground and not just rely on his booming serve, it's been great to see him rise up the rankings into the Top 10 this year and even better to see the rise in his intestinal fortitude and self belief.

So far he has dispatched 3 of the Top 6 ranked players in the world in the first few months of this season with Tsonga becoming his latest victim, of course the other two guys are Nole & Fed.

So what opinions do you have about John in general as a player on the court, a person off it, a Davis Cup team member etc etc....I really like the 6ft 9 giant from Greensboro, North Carolina, he has a great attitude and seem's to really enjoy his tennis, plus he has been a frequent visitor to the Heineken Open in Auckland too so that is a bonus. wink

I think he is finally starting to realise his potential thanks due in no small part to Courier IMO, every interview etc I've seen of him off the court I have enjoyed, he seems like a family man to me which is cool. smile

As for Davis Cup...well it was the springboard for Novak to kickstart that fantastic season of his in 2011 so why can't it be the springboard for Johhny I to have a fantastic season in 2012.....after beating Fed in Switzerland he seem's like he has a different attitude and everything....it's going to be interesting to watch how his season develops.

One final question......will the final at the Indian Wells Masters recently be his best result in ATP tournaments this year or do you think he has got a Masters Title or even a Grand Slam Championship in that Prince tennis bag of his??

Last edited by Tono (Apr. 10, 2012 6:03am)

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Re: The Rise & Rise Of John Isner!!

Yeah Big John sure has impressed everybody in the first quarter of the season. After some difficulties in January (2nd Loss in Auckland with a 1st round bye, 3rd round loss at the AO after two marathon matches against Nalbandian and Lopez), he found his way of beating Fed himself, ON CLAY, in Switzerland... That boosted his confidence. However he didn't played that well in Memphis and Delray Beach after that (SF and Q which aren't that bad I agree) before making his breakthrough in Indian Wells (and not Miami my dear Tony).

He seems to be so much focused in his Davis Cup matches, he seems almost unbeatable on clay this season! And he even beat the World n°1 on his best surface...

He's definitely going to be a BIG threat on clay this year, but I think he needs some challenge, right know he seems less focused in smaller tournaments. It will also be very interesting to see him play Spain in Davis Cup in September against Ferrer and Almagro.

I think he might win a 1000's or two, but a GS seems a bit too farfetchd. But still, he should reach a SF at least once and maybe on GS final and hopefully losing to Federer ;-) . For example at Wimbledon this year, after beating Murray and Nadal in the QF and SF !

Well, who knows? The guy seems able to do anything and he could be devastating on grass!

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Yeah sorry about the Miami error there on Isner....all fixed up now hmm....thats what happens when you get two Masters back to back you sometimes mix them up...haha!

His confidence is sky high but you are right he did have that letdown after beating Fed in Davis Cup so it will be interesting to see if he fails to fire in Houston this week...he has just travelled back from Monaco and will travel back there again next week, he should have bypassed Houston and stayed in Monte Carlo and chilled out I reckon....maybe he won't be overly motivated this week in Texas who knows.

I think at the moment that Isner is arguably the biggest singles weapon going around when it comes to Davis Cup play BUT the big question I have of him is whether he can maintain that high standard of play for a whole tournament consisting of 6 or 7 matches....for that reason I don't think he will win a Slam this year and I doubt whether he could nail a Masters title either UNLESS he gets some help with the draw IMO.

He did do pretty well back to back against Novak & Fed at Indian Wells in the respective semi & final though but in a Slam he will probably need to win three back to back matches in a row after already having played four so that could tax the big guy a bit too much I'm thinking.

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Yeah, it's seems like nobody is ready to beat three top 4 guys in a row in a GS. But the thing about Isner is that he can win in three tie-breaks and be fit for the next one. I'm eager to see him at Wimbledon and RG. And I hope he's not in Federer's quarter of the draw..

Yeah it wouldn't be much fun for Fed if he happens to face Isner in a Round of 16 or quarterfinal at Wimby hmm

Yep. But why not in Nole ar Rafa's draw :-p . I'm sure Rafa wouldn't like to get Isner in his quarter at RG...

Oh yeah of course......I was just focusing on Roger but yeah any of the Big 4 wouldn't want to see the name J. Isner as their next opponent I reckon.....Fed has always said that he respects Isner's serve the most thats why i said my previous piece. wink

Yeah, when he was asked who's weapon he would pick to take in his game, he said Isner's serve. And that was already som time ago.

Yeah well it has plenty of horsepower on it that's for sure, Isner gets himself out of trouble SO many times with aces etc huh, it bounces quite high sometimes too which can make it awkward coming at that speed.

I've read a statistics about 2008 or 2009: In Federer and Tsonga's serving game, 50% of their points was just about aces or service winners (1st and 2nd serve).  It means that half the points on their serve, they get free points. And then there are so much more easy 2nd stroke thanks to their serve.

But that has slightly decreased I guess because returners have improved a lot. Anyway, Isner's serving points should be even higher right now! I'm gonna check the RICOH ATP match facts to see it for myself.

Yeah the return of serve and groundstrokes in general has become a major factor and probably the biggest paradigm shift in tennis in the last few years IMO.

Yes, I agree. And physical strength of the athletes has improved a lot over the past two decades. Basically, those who wins are the ones getting all the ball backs with great intensities and being able to swith from defense to offense very quickly (in other words, with only one shot!).

Yep I can't argue with that mate, sometimes I do miss the quicker surfaces though...I'm sure Roger does too, I still think if they didn't tamper with court speeds and weight of balls etc that Fed would have another one or two GS Titles under his belt by now.

Yes, that's for sure. Nadal would never have won Wimbledon IMO if they didn't slow down the surface. The same can besaid about the US Open. The AO has always been slower so I'm not surprised Nadal's won it.

Hopefully they won't slow down the clay courts...

Apparently they have speed up some of the clay courts from what I've heard....not so sure about RG though.
See ya Adunar, catch you again real soon. big_smile

I am VERY curious to see how Isner does at the French this year.

Here's the thing: I often see folks attempting to discredit Isner's clay wins.  "Rafa was out of sorts in the first round at last year's French" and "The clay in the Swiss Davis Cup match was garbage" and "Miami is a slower court than the one Isner beat Tsonga on!"

But.... as far as I understand it, Monte Carlo is the court that most closely simulates Roland Garros, and that was the venue for the France-USA Davis Cup match, where Isner embarassed the French team.  Not only that, but we have Isner's first-rounder at the French last year to take into consideration.

Everything (in my mind, anyways) points to Isner having some BIG wins at the French this year.  But it sounds to me like other folks are trying to say that he is perhaps being set-up for a letdown.

What do you guys think?

-Arvis

It's a good point you're mentioning here Arvis. I'm also very curious to see how he does at RG since he's unbeaten on clay this year (and against Federer, Simon and Tsonga please! [and Chiudinelli...]). Going to five sets against Nadal last year quite a performance though he was as good as he is today. It shows that if Nadal isn't at the top of his game he can be in trouble against him. I think he's either going to have a bad loss in the first rounds or he's gonna upset one big boy or two in the draw!

This year's French Open is going to be exciting! Can't wait.

Speaking of Isner on clay let me just add that he played a final in Serbia open(clay) and a very tough five setter in a Devis Cup against Novak on clay and in Belgrade too few years ago.
So he obviously knows how to take his adventages on clay.I would say that his kick serve is even more deadly on clay,also he has more time for his forhand preparation.It will be very interesting to see what will he do in RG and whole clay court season.

You asked what do we think about big John as a person Tony.I started to like him after those two events that I mentioned.His performance in Davis Cup was heroic.I think that he won the first match then he played a long and tough doubles match on saturday and finaly that five setter against Djokovic.
Isner lost the final in Serbia open to Querrey but he left a great impression on the Serbian audience.

Last edited by Dragan (Apr. 10, 2012 2:59pm)

And he seems very fairplay to me, he has a nice attitude on the court.

I agree,although I must be honest and say that I was furious after he defeated Novak in that Indian Wells semi.But I guess he is ok now. smile

I was also pretty shocked when he beat Federer on Clay in Davis Cup. But still like the guy, he's good.

Yeah I put an O because Adunar was already taken, that's all wink

But honestly, I don't care so it's ok. Thanks for worrying about it smile

My only question mark about Isner in the Slams is that all matches are 5 sets....if he gets some tough four or five setters early in the tournament then his chances of making a final or winning a Slam diminish IMO......he has proved that he can get up on a single day for Davis Cup now he has to try and find the magic formula for the two week grind of a GS....personally I hope he does. smile

Yeah, he can give two big fights in a row for sure but three? I doubt it. But again, with his serve, he can beat anybody in 3-4 sets...

It's a real shame that Isner will not play in Monte Carlo next week......lets hope he comes back strong and continues his good form on the clay at Madrid and RG. smile