Topic: 2012 pronostics

Hi everybody,

The first quarter of the 2012 season is over and I think that it might be time to make some pronostics for the end of the year. Here are some questions:

Who do you think will be in the top 10 at the end of the year?
Who do you think will play the ATP World Tour Finals?
Who do you think will make the biggest jump in the rankings this year?
Do you think someone can win 4 or 5 Masters 1000's this season?
Can Novak win a Calendar grand slam?
Who do you think will win the last 3 majors?
Who will win the most tournaments?
Who's going to clinch the year-end n°1 ranking?
Can Federer beat Sampras' record of 286 weeks at N°1?
Will Nadal be able to beat Djokovic at least once this year?
Can someone out of the top 4 win a GS? A Masters 1000?

Here are a lot of questions to talk about. But I think it is definitely time to discuss about that as the Clay court season begins tomorrow.

Don't be shy, most of us will be wrong! But if your right, we'll remember ;-)

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Re: 2012 pronostics

Okay, I'll go for it myself.

So for the year end top 10:

1) Novak
2) Federer
3) Nadal
4) Murray
5) Del Potro
6) Isner
7) Ferrer
8) Berdych
9) Tsonga
10) Raonic

For the Finals Player, see the 8 above ;-)

Finally, I think Federer will be n°1 at sometime this year but I don't think he can keep it until the very end.

Nice.  For starters, no Federer will never be #1 again, not even for a week. 
Yes, Rafa will beat Nole this year.  Twice.  But Nole will finish #1 again by a comfortable margin.
Too close to call in the race for 2nd.  Only if Rafa's knee problem gets better of course.
In a dramatic reversal, I have Isner finishing the year 5th. 
Then Ferrer, Delpo , Berdych, Tsonga, Tipsarevic. 

Of course, I hope Berdych is out of the Top Ten and, oh, say Monfils just for fun, is in.  But probably neither of those things will happen.  Several of us already predicted the winners of the majors on another thread.  Mine were Nadal, Djokovic and Murray in that order.  Certainly Murray could disappoint.  Certainly Federer could win Wimbledon or the US Open.  No doubt about it.  So could Isner.  So could Delpo, maybe.

Last edited by Don (Apr. 8, 2012 3:47pm)

IMO Tipsarevic will not last very long at the top of the game... Monfils can definitely come in the top10 but he's never been healthy a whole year... and I think Fish is slowy going to disappear from the top 10 and maybe even the top 20... Just as Simon probably will. And I hope for a return in the top20 or even the top10 for Wawrinka :-p

About the slams: Djokovic (AO, probably US), Nadal (RG, who else could it be?), Federer (Wimbledon, maybe US) and maybe Murray, Delpo or even Isner for the US.

Yes, Fish is probably toast. 
Wawrinka is certainly young enough to have his best years ahead of him. 
I take the "probably" to be a Djokovic pick for the US Open.

Wimbledon may depend on the draw.  If Fed plays Rafa before Nole, I see Fed going out for sure and Nole winning. 
If he gets to #2 and Rafa plays Nole in the semis, then I would like his chances.
If he plays Nole in the semis, it will be epic.  Then I would like Rafa in the final.
If Rafa's knee keeps him out of Wimbledon, I think you toss a coin between Nole and Roger.  Too close to call.

Last edited by Don (Apr. 8, 2012 4:31pm)

Well, any grand slam final with Roger Federer is quite epic (except RG 2008 or Dear Lord). I'de love to see a Federer-Nadal WM Final and a Federer-Djokovic US Final. And why not another Federer-Nadal RG final (though there's pretty much no way Roger can win if Nadal is 100%). A Murray-Nadal final has never occured in a GS, could be interesting at RG.

Andy has certainly improved on clay, but I don't think he has a realistic chance to win RG or Wimbledon.  He's still a hard court guy, really, and though he plays well in Oz, I think it's the faster the better for him, so to me it seems his best shot is the US.

I'd love at least one Roger/Rafa final at RG and Wimbledon.  Two would be perfect. 
Nole is probably just too good for that to happen, though, I think. 
But one would be nice.  It's the greatest rivalry in the history of the sport to date, I believe.  So sure, Roger/Rafa.  Please!

Yep, Novak won't agree with you I think. But I honestly think that we will get one big final between Roger and Rafa smile

Geez plenty of questions you have posed there in this thread Adunar but I will give my version of what I see happening anyway, here goes...

Top 10 Year End
1) Nole
2) Rafa
3) Fed
4) Murray
5) Ferrer
6) Delpo
7) Tsonga
8) Berdych
9) Isner
10) Tipsarevic

My 8 for the WTF in London would be the Top 7 and probably Isner at this stage, Tomas the Czech could still make it though I reckon.

Biggest Mover in the rankings for 2012....that's a toughie, I'll go with Benjamin Becker!

Only players that could win 4 or 5 Masters shields this year IMO are the winners of the first two events, Roger & Novak, although I think it's probably more likely that it would be Nole than Fed.

Can Novak win a calendar GS??....well yeah I think he possibly could....but will he??? No I don't think so......mind you if he happens to win the French then I could be persuaded a little more to go the other way wink

The major winners for the rest of the year....hmm, I'd go with Rafa at RG (if he is fit), Fed at Wimby (I'm hoping) and Novak at the US Open.
The winner of the most tournaments in 2012 I will say it's Nole again and he will stay at No.1 at years end.

Can Roger beat Pete's record number of weeks at No.1....I really want to see that happen but unfortunately I don't think it will. sad

Nadal will beat Nole on the clay at least once this year I reckon maybe more....and finally will somebody outside the Top 4 win a GS or Masters event in 2012....I'd have to say NO but if it does happen I would probably pick Delpo to be the guy. wink

Whew I made it through them all.....good questions you posed though Adunar. big_smile

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Adunar wrote:

Hi everybody,

The first quarter of the 2012 season is over and I think that it might be time to make some pronostics for the end of the year. Here are some questions:

Who do you think will be in the top 10 at the end of the year?
Who do you think will play the ATP World Tour Finals?
Who do you think will make the biggest jump in the rankings this year?
Do you think someone can win 4 or 5 Masters 1000's this season?
Can Novak win a Calendar grand slam?
Who do you think will win the last 3 majors?
Who will win the most tournaments?
Who's going to clinch the year-end n°1 ranking?
Can Federer beat Sampras' record of 286 weeks at N°1?
Will Nadal be able to beat Djokovic at least once this year?
Can someone out of the top 4 win a GS? A Masters 1000?

Here are a lot of questions to talk about. But I think it is definitely time to discuss about that as the Clay court season begins tomorrow.

Don't be shy, most of us will be wrong! But if your right, we'll remember ;-)

1) Federer
2) Novak
3) Nadal
4) Murray
5) Ferrer
6) Del Potro
7) Isner
8) Berdych
9) Simon
10) Nishikori
^Yep, I let personal feelings influence my picks here, but so what?

3. Denis Istomin

4. No.

5. No. He will not win the French (unless Robin Soderling comes back and beats Nadal AND Federer before the finals).

6. Nadal, Federer, Djokovic

7. .................I have no idea.  Probably Djokovic?  He's still pretty unstoppable right now.

8. Fed (hopefully, would be awesome)

9. See #8

10. Possibly twice, at Monte Carlo and Roland Garros.

11. Grand Slam? Probably not, a guy like Roddick or Isner at Wimby would be interesting.  Also, look for Almagro to TEAR THINGS UP at the French this year.  Could go deep depending on his draw.  In the past he has always run into Nadal early. 
Masters 1000?  Sure.  Heck, Gilles Simon has won a Masters shield before, anything could happen.  I think maybe this year Ferrer could finally get a Masters win.  At least, that's what I am rooting for.

-Arvis

I'd like a LOT of your things to come true too Arvis and I hope a majority of them do but alas I think you might be letting your heart rule your head again on some of them. wink

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

I started off with Nishikori as my #10 pick, too Arvis.  I changed it to Janko because I hope he is able to hang in there at this level for another year, though as Adunar said that may not be very likely.  I think your boy Kei may very well make the Top Ten for at least a little while before too long.  Simon would surprise me a lot, though.  Also, if the rest of the year goes like the first part, you're right about Istomin.  He was #73 at the start of the year and now he's #42.  Not bad at all!

Last edited by Don (Apr. 9, 2012 3:49pm)

Your top 8 is the same as mine Arvis (but not the same order though). I don't thik Simon can come back that good, I even think he might fall down the rankings.

I agree that istomin is coming strongly this season. It would be nive if Ferrer finally wins a Master 1000's, he deserves one at least.

But I have to tell you that Simon never won a Masters 1000. He made one final in Madrid in 2008 but that's it. He won a 500 last year in Hamburg though.

Thanks Don! big_smile

Adunar, you're right about Simon.  For some reason, I thought he had won the Canada Masters.  Maybe he just beat Fed there one year and I remember it as a tourney victory....

Anyways, I like Simon, I think he is a lot better than he often gets credit for.  I predict we'll see him have a lot of success during the summer hardcourt to USO swing and get a few big upset wins under his belt.

Regarding Ferrer, I will always believe until he retires that he can win a Masters Shield.  When Ljubicic won Indian Wells, he showed us that these sorts of feel-good miracle stories can and do happen.  I think Ferrer can do the same (although Ljubicic has always had more upside than Ferrer, even if he never had his drive).

-Arvis

Last edited by Arvis (Apr. 10, 2012 9:24am)

well, Ljubicic had some great peaks and some bad ones. Ferrer is pretty constant at the top of the game.
Yep, Simon beat Federer in Canada Masters 2008 2nd rounf and went on to reach the semis I think (and lost against Kiefer if I remember right). He has a nice game but he seems to be switched off sometimes. It seems to me he's not always happy on the tennis court. But I agree that he has a nice game and when he's "on" he can upset some top players.

I miss Nicolas Kiefer.  Back when I FIRST started watching tennis, I kept seeing that guy popping up everywhere!  And always losing to Nadal.

-Arvis

And to Federer too. Like at the Australian Open 2006 SF ;-)

I didn't start following tennis until 2008.  hmm

*ashamed*

-Arvis

Then you missed out Federer's best years :-(

I KNOW.

.............trust me.  I know. *sigh*

But honestly, with the kind of personality I have, I think I can appreciate Federer even more as a (slightly) struggling former #1 Federer than the win-everything-ever-all-the-time-so-much-so-to-where-it-isn't-even-a-mystery-who-is-going-to-win Federer.

It's actually why I'm not a big Nadal fan, because he began his dominance right when I started really following the sport.

-Arvis

Yeah, the Federer era was like Djokovic last year. Except it lasted four years in a row smile

When I began to get really interested in tennis was Sampras' last years. I felt to my knee when Roger beat Sampras at Wimbledon in 2001. Still get som goose pimples thinking about it. I remember I couldn't see the match, but as the match lasted pretty long, I heard they were in a fifth set. I rushed home for the end of the match and saw the very last point! What a passing shot winner return.

Good memories of Roger eh Adunar big_smile
My memories go back even further of course to the days of Borg, Connors, McEnroe, Edberg, Wilander, Cash, Lendl, Becker etc....but Pistol Pete was my favourite player before Roger came along too, before Pete it was Edberg.
(Note the serve and volley theme there) wink

Last edited by Tono (Apr. 10, 2012 3:03pm)

Unfortunately I was either too young or not born yet haha...

Yeah I know but at least you are getting to see some great tennis nowadays too though. smile

I remember watching few great matches between Backer and Sampras.The Masters Cup finals has ben played in Germany at that time,Hamburg or Stutgart I think.I've watched one great match from those two that was brodcast on Euro Sport from that Masters Cup finals.I remember Krajicek winning the Wimbledon and of course Rafter taking those two US Open titles,Agassi beating Medvedev in a RG final after being two set's down,Alex Corretja at RG too,Carlos Moya...
Logically becouse of my age the mid 90-es is the far as I can go. smile

Last edited by Dragan (Apr. 10, 2012 3:20pm)