Re: Tennis Draw Challenge 2019 - Results & Discussion

dwightcharles wrote:

Fascinating Bigmoose!
How did you come to speak with her?

My hobby is tennis photography and I try to get some of my photos signed by the players.

She has played some ITFs in England over the past 2 years and was only too happy to sign for me. She liked the photos and asked me if I could send her copies smile

Hi, anyone knows if the AO 2019 will be active on this site? Some bug correction was to happen also. Has that been done already?

What is UP with WTA Sydney?  Like, every single good player in the WTA is in Sydney.  Multiple Slam champs are unseeded here.  5 of the 8 seeds are Slam champs.  This is ridiculous.  How am I supposed to pick anything?

Use the dartboard. Best tournament for it along with Nanchang.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Arvis wrote:

What is UP with WTA Sydney?  Like, every single good player in the WTA is in Sydney.  Multiple Slam champs are unseeded here.  5 of the 8 seeds are Slam champs.  This is ridiculous.  How am I supposed to pick anything?

I agree Arvis...I think the combo of the WTA Sydney bracket and WTA Teams is possibly the hardest ever tourney we have had to predict on TDC, if it was a 250 tourney we wouldn't care, but it's a 470 so we can't just pick whoever and not bother eh., VERY TOUGH! hmm

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Quite a lot of us got hit with Sevastova right out of the gate, although I believe that was a replacement?  Who was Sevastova replacing?  I forget.

Arvis wrote:

Quite a lot of us got hit with Sevastova right out of the gate, although I believe that was a replacement?  Who was Sevastova replacing?  I forget.

I think it was Osaka but she pulled out early

ATP

Brisbane
Who doesn't love the advent of this tournament every year?  A fresh new season and we all want to start with picking the right winner.  Well, that happened for 4 Jedi Masters who backed Nishikori to win this tournament: Arnie, Arvis, HTS, and Drivers!  Nice job everyone!  Could Kei be a favorite pick for Yoda?
Arnie did his usual genius shtick and correctly got the runner-up, Medvedev, too, clipping Arvis for the tournament win at the finish line.  Arnie beat last place spotec by 21 points, which is rather huge to start the season.  Also, Ol' Tenny had Medvedev over Kei, which almost came to fruition for him, as Daniil outplayed Kei for huge swaths of the match.  Despite not having the Winner, though, Tenny still finished strong in 3rd place.

Doha
Lower point totals here because of Novak's loss, Arvis was the one to take the win with 26, being one of only 3 Jedi to back RBA as far as the semis.  However, the difference between Arvis and last place was only 8 points, so this was a decent tournament for all concerned.

Pune
AKA "The Place Where It All Went Wrong For Arvis"
Literally everyone but Arvis had Anderson winning this tournament, and Anderson won the tournament, creating a gap between last place Arvis and the winner, Dtrain, of freaking 17 points. Karlovic was up 5-2 on Kev in that 3rd set TB.  BLAH.  This intrepid reporter reached out to Arvis for a quote and this is what he said:  "First of all, you're the ugliest reporter I have ever seen.  Second of all, I originally had Kevin as winner then switched it.  Ha ha.  Ha.  haaaaaaaaaa...." and then he started weeping uncontrollably.  It was pretty pathetic.
Dtrain actually won by correctly predicting the Winner, Finalist, and one of the SFists, so great job Dtrain! 

Adunar gets the High Score of the Week honors to start the season, winning Brisbane with 39, clipping Arvis and Dtrain's 38 points in Brisbane and Pune, respectively.

ATP 250/Overall Bracket Standings
1. Adunar: 97
2. Arvis: -2
3T. Drivers: -3
3T. Tenedab: -3
5T. TE: -9
5T. HTS: -9

Early on, so these rankings will be shaking up all the time, but it's still funny how close those Top 4 are.

---

WTA

Brisbane
Who doesn't love the advent of this tour- wait.... I've done this already.  Blah blah, fresh start, new year, blah blah.  This time it was five Jedi who got the winner, Pliskova, correct and it was worth even more points, as this is a WTA 470!  Nice job TE, Tono, Dwight, Adunar and Dtrain!  TE took the win with a whopping 44 points, scraping past Tono in 2nd with 43.  However, BHP went very unorthodox with his bracket here and unfortunately it didn't materialize for him, leaving him in last place with a massive 30 point gap between him and the winner.  Ouch.

Shenzhen
The majority of our group correctly predicted Sabalenka to win here, creating smaller margins.  However, Winner Dwight managed 29 points, which was 20 more than last place HTS.

Auckland
Only 3 (TE, Tenedab, and Spotec) correctly predicted Goerges to win this tournament, but quite a few more of us had competitive totals anyway.  This was a pretty close tourney and there was a good chance no one would get the winner, especially with a Qualifier making the finals.  But Goerges handled her business, as she so often does in this part of the year.  TE got yet another bracket win, finishing with 35 points, 2 above Tenedab in 2nd and 16 above HTS in last.  This was HTS' second last-place result of the week, and he was 1 point away from making it three in ATP Doha.

High Score of the Week: 44 for TennisElbow in Brisbane.  Great job on the WTA brackets this week, TE!

WTA 280
1. Adunar: 62
2T. Dtrain: -4
2T. Dwight: -4
4. Arvis: -5
5. TE: -6

WTA 470
1. TE: 44
2. Tono: -1
3. Dwight: -2
4. Adunar: -5
5. Dtrain: -6

WTA Overall
1T. Adunar: 103
1T. TE: 103
3. Dwight: -1
4. Dtrain: -4
5. Tono: -5

---

What a start to the year for Adunar!  But how will Week 2 shake things up?  We all know that these standings are completely unsteady until after the AO, which starts VERY soon!  Who will have the Overall lead going in, and who will have it coming out??

Top job Arvis!!! THANK YOU.

2016:-Diamond Droid and Captain Plasma Helmet Champ.
2018:-Ruby Droid and Jar Jar Dartboard Champ.
2019:-Yoda Crew Most Improved Player. 

Man, way more people with Wawa in the semis than I expected, but this men's tourney really feels wide open.

BHP has Ash Barty as runner up in his bracket.  Wow!

ATP

Auckland
Do... do I actually have to talk about this one?  This was not a good tournament for anyone.  Tenedab and Spotec won it with a miserable 14 and the three last place finishers had half of that.

Sydney
Fantastic win here by Tono, managing 34 points and having the correct winner, De Minaur to boot!  TE also had ADM and squeaked past third place TE (who had 3 SFists correct, but not the winner) by 1 point.  Only last place BHP scored lower than Auckland's winners here, managing only 12 points, 22 behind Tono.

ATP 250/Overall Standings
1. Tono: 121 NEW
2T. TE: -2 ↑7, ↑3 ranks
2T. Tenedab: -2 ↑1, ↑1 rank
4. Arvis: -3 ↓1, ↓2 ranks
5. Murree: -7 NEW
Adunar, Drivers, and HTS were all knocked off

Tono jumps from nowhere to the top of the rankings with that brilliant Sydney result!  Gotta love this pre-AO start to the year.  But can Tono have a good showing in Melbourne and reinforce this lead?

---

WTA

Sydney
This actually wasn't a very good tournament for most of us, as basically all the most popular picks lost at the QFs or worse.  However, a few Jedi managed to have a SFist or even two, which created a pretty massive score disparity between the winners and losers.  TE, Arvis and HTS all had two SFists, while BHP only had one but still managed 30 points.  TE won here with 35, beating second place Arvis by 3.
However, last place Edu backed every wrong horse and was ultra-bitten by upsets, so he finished with only 9 points.  It's early days, but that's still a tough result to take, losing by 26 points.
TE's score here means he beats out Tono for High Score of the Week

Hobart
In the smaller tournament, we had smaller margins, of course, but still lots of struggles to manage even ONE SFist.  Spotec was the only one who got two SFists correct and he won with 24 points, which is actually a pretty big 7 points over second place Arvis and Dtrain.  Last place went to Edu again, this time along with Adunar, with only 8.  Edu will certainly hope for a huge cash in at AO to get his WTA brackets on track in January.

WTA 280 Standings
1. Spotec: 74 NEW
2. Arvis: -2 ↑3, ↑2 ranks
3. Dtrain: -4 ↓1 rank
4. Dwight: -6 ↓2, ↓2 ranks
5T. Adunar: -8 ↓8, ↓4 ranks
5T. TE: -8 ↓2
5T. Tenedab: -8 NEW

Well isn't this a happy little cluster?  How long until these rankings start to stabilize?

WTA 470 Standings
1. TE: 79
2T. Snolly: -14 NEW
2T. Arvis: -14 NEW
2T. Tono: -14 ↓13
2T. Dwight: -14 ↓14 ↑1 rank
Adunar, Dtrain knocked off

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...........  o__O
I... don't even know what to say about this.  There is ONE obvious thing to say, though: amazing job, TE!  You'll be frontrunner in WTA 470s for a while, I expect.

WTA Overall Standings (including Day 1 of the AO because I don't feel like doing all that manual subtraction)
1. TE: 167
2. Arvis: -19 NEW
3. Dwight: -20 ↓19
4. Adunar: -23 ↓23  ↓3 ranks
5. Dtrain: -24 ↓20  ↓1 rank
Tono knocked off

Well, here are our FINAL pre-Slam standings for WTA brackets!  The AO is definitely going to shake some things up, especially if either Serena or Kerber win, as the Jedi are basically split down the middle on which of the two they took.  If neither wins, we might not see as much shifting.

I've never seen it! They redid the draw in St. Petersburg exept for the seeds. They actually did the drawing for the second time, apparently because of some type of error.

Last edited by tenedab (Jan. 27, 2019 8:39am)

OMG that's a nightmare, I'll have to tell the others

2018 Roland Garros Yoda Cup, Year End #3
2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup

Man that is horrible... This is gonna mess up everything

I cannot create or delete qualifiers/LL spot, this is not easily fixed. All I can do is add "dummy players" where the qualifers/LL will end up. Will wait a couple hours on Tom but if he is not available, I will proceed as described here above.

In case you want to proceed with all your selections, the trick is to select the spot, not the player that may be moved around,

Last edited by Adunar (Jan. 27, 2019 8:54am)

!!!!!! Already completed the draw!! Will wait a couple of hours before trying to sort it!!!! How odd!!

2016:-Diamond Droid and Captain Plasma Helmet Champ.
2018:-Ruby Droid and Jar Jar Dartboard Champ.
2019:-Yoda Crew Most Improved Player. 

OK, updated the draw.

However, the qualifiers in there are dummies (players who lost 1st round qualies). They will be updated tomorrow once the qualifying tournament it over. That might be after the deadline so... try to be creative!

All other players are in their right spot.

Men's Australian Open

Only two correctly predicted Rafa to be runner-up here, Murree and Snolly, and Murree got the win with a truly absurd 246 points!  That is over double Tono's #1 Overall score going into this tournament.  These Slam brackets are so massive!  This will set Murree up nicely all the way until summer.
Johnny brought up the rear about 75 points back and was one of only two to not pick Novak to win.

Men's Grand Slam Standings
1. Murree: 246
2. Snolly: -10
3. TE: -15
4. Tono: -18
5. Edu: -20

Overall Men's Standings
1. Murree: 360 ↑4 ranks
2. TE: -10 ↓8
3. Tono: -11 ↓11, ↓2 ranks
4. Tenedab: -25 ↓23, ↓2 ranks
5. Edu: -28 NEW
--Arvis knocked off--

Well, Murree may have taken the overall lead, but TE and Tono are not far behind!  Murree's Men's Slam Bracket lead may be secure until summer, but just one bad week in February can see Murree slip out of the #1 spot with margins this close.

---

Women's Australian Open

Nobody got the winner correct in this one, but three Jedi did correctly predict Osaka to make the finals: Drivers, Edu, and Wimby!  Nice pick, guys!  Of those, Drivers got the top score of 227!  Really impressive!  That was 13 above 2nd-pace Edu and a mind-boggling 119 above Johnny, whose lack of trust in WTA players consistently torpedoes his fantasy efforts.  Still, it's good to have him back.

Women's Grand Slam Standings
1. Drivers: 227
2. Edu: -13
3. Wimby: -34
4T. Tenedab: -37
4T. Snolly: -37

Overall Women's Standings
1. TE: 331
2. Drivers: -5 NEW
3. Edu: -21 NEW
4. Arvis: -24 ↓5, ↓2 ranks
5T. Tono: -26 BOUNCE BACK
5T. Spotec: -26 NEW
-- Dwight, Adunar, and Dtrain knocked off ---

TE did enough at the AO to keep his lead here, well done!  But a lot of new faces have arrived, plus Tono spent only one tournament off the Top 5 before coming right back.  Nice job, Tono!
How will Hua Hin and St. Pete affect these standings?

Congrats TE & Snolly for St.Petersburg and Spotec for Hua Hin. Nicely done.

St. Pete
Snolly and TE get the win here, but only with 28 points.  Nobody did all that great here, but almost reaching 30 isn't bad at all.  We all kind of went with the big, hot names but they all fell to the fresher players.  Johnny brought up the rear here with 14, half of what the winners scored, but only 4 behind a trio of other Jedi languishing at the bottom.

Hua Hin
Spotec squeaked past BHP for the win here, beating him by 1 point!  Nobody picked Yastremska to win, but those two and TE all had Tomljanovic in the final, which boosted them to the Top 3 spots.  Johnny brought up the rear again with another 14, yet again basically half of what Spotec managed.

WTA 280 Standings
1. Spotec: 101
2. Arvis: -9 ↓7
3. TE: -10 ↓2 ↑2 ranks
4. Tenedab: -12 ↓4 ↑1 rank
5. Dtrain: -15 ↓11, ↓2 ranks
Adunar, Dwight knocked off

Spotec not only maintained his 280 lead through Hua Hin, but he put some distance between himself and his rivals.  Nicely done, Spotec!

WTA 470 Standings
1. TE: 107
2. Snolly: -24 ↓10
3T. HTS: -29 NEW
3T. Tono: -29 ↓15
3T. Dwight: -29 ↓15
Arvis knocked off

Good grief, TE!  You've really got these 470s figured out atm!  Getting both Vekic and Bertens in the semis in your St. Pete bracket really put you in quite a comfy position here.

Overall Women's Standings
1. TE: 376
2. Drivers: -15 ↓10
3. Spotec: -31 ↓5 ↑2 ranks
4. Tono: -34 ↓8 ↑1 rank
5. Snolly: -35 NEW
-- Arvis, Edu knocked off ---

Really amazing week for our WTA Brackets leader, TE!  How long will he remain atop the leaderboard?  Definitely a tough week for Arvis, who had a disastrous St. Pete campaign.

LOVING these summaries, Arvis!  Keep it coming!!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

dwightcharles wrote:

LOVING these summaries, Arvis!  Keep it coming!!

Repost!

2018: Obi Wan, Rey Saber, R2D2 Crown, C3PO Trophy, Most correct picks Award, Year End #2.
2017: BB-8 Cup, Year End #4.
2016: Padme Cup, Roland Garros Yoda Cup, Leia Tiara, Trophy Case Award, Rey Saber runner up, Year End #3.
2015: Lando Calrissian's Ring, GQ "The Green Anackin".

ATP

Montpellier
Only Snolly and TE correctly predicted that Tsonga would take this trophy, and Snolly got the win by 1 point over TE.  However, TE started the week in the ATP Overall Top 5.  Could this result be enough to get him to #1?  How did he do in the other tournaments?
Bringing up the rear, Dtrain and Dwight managed only 17, almost exactly half of Snolly's final score of 33 points.

Sofia
Well, we wondered how TE did in other tournaments, and he won this one outright, correctly predicting the winner, Medvedev, again!  TE broke 30 points for the second time this week, beating 2nd-place Dwight by 3 and last place Johnny by 19.  Yikes!  I don't think anything will stop TE from getting to #1.  Could he hold the #1 spot on ATP and WTA Brackets at the same time?
Johnny was two matches from achieving a Red Quarter in Sofia.

Cordoba
Nobody did well here at all, with the win going to HTS with 14 measly points.  That was good enough to beat last place BHP and Johnny by just 6.  I don't think anyone could have predicted a WC that has barely even been mentioned in Challenger Chat would win the whole tournament (Londero was mentioned for being the #2 seed but losing to a guy who lost to a guy in the finals, so it wasn't even impressive).

ATP 250 Standings
1. TE: 195 ↑1 rank
2. Tono: -8 ↓8, ↓1 rank
3T. Arvis: -24 ↓21 ↑1 rank
3T. Drivers: -24 BOUNCE BACK
3T. Tenedab: -24 ↓22, ↓1 rank
Murree knocked off

ATP Overall Standings
1. TE: 427 ↑1 rank
2T. Tono: -11 ↑1 rank
2T. Murree: -11 ↓11, ↓1 rank
4. Edu: -32 ↓4 ↑1 rank
5. Tenedab: -39 ↓14, ↓1 rank

Seriously impressive, TE!  His lead isn't super safe yet, with our first ATP 500 starting this week, but 11 points is decent, and it's only two fellow Jedi who are that close.  Everyone else is 30+ away.  I think it's likely that TE is still in the lead after Rotterdam.  However, we'll have a new set of rankings to follow after that tournament, too.  Who will be our ATP 500 leader to start the 2019 season?

Last edited by Arvis (Feb. 12, 2019 12:01pm)

Huzzah!

Thanks Arvis!

2018 Roland Garros Yoda Cup, Year End #3
2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup

LL Kr.Pliskova is replacing Ka.Pliskova, so looks like nothing happened

Yep. I replaced her on TDC but indeed, we dont see the difference in the draw...