Topic: Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda

Hey Everyone,

How are your teams looking through 4 days? Do you regret any picks or decisions you made in picking your teams?  Who do you wish you added? Did you avoid anyone who ended up being a mistake? Who almost made everyone's rosters?

I know I (like 65% of Yoda Cup) got burned by Ostapenko and sort of regret leaving off Garcia (who would've gotten her slot). I felt she was in a weak section (which seems to have been correct) and got scarred off by Garcia's draw (4R Bertens then Halep) but regret it now.

But I was between Bertens and Sevastova for a low seed and went with Bertens so dodged a bullet there.

2018: Guru Race Winner (2019 Yoda Cup Guru), Australian Open Yoda Cup Champion, Wimbledon Yoda Cup Champion, Yoda Crew Best Newcomer
2020: Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up

Re: Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda

I was never leaving Ostapenko off my team, so there's no regret there. I was thinking of taking Diyas or Putintseva as my unseeded player instead of Serena. I was thinking of taking K. Bertens over CSN. If Kerber beats Bertens, it wouldn't have mattered. Wouldn't change anything about my men's team.

'12 GSFT US Open Overall Champ
'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'20 Yoda Cup AO Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ

My kinda thread Marco ;-) haha

I almost had the exact same womens team that you have picked, including finalists and winner, went for some extra bonus points with CSN and decided to drop Petra which didn’t work out, also picked Ostapenko as my runner up instead of Svito which was a fail.

I did really like the look of Petra Martic as my unseeded woman, but couldn’t resist taking Serena, happy with my men’s team though, although I may regret leaving out Goffin perhaps.

2021 AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

I shouldn't have picked Gojowczyk as my unseeded. If I knew that he was going out first round, I would have picked Khachanov, my second choice. That, and I would have picked Martic as my unseeded instead of Azarenka.

2019 RG Yoda Cup Co-Champion
2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

My entire women's team is pretty much SCW at this point, it feels like.  And what's funny is that I've only lost one player on it!  But I have Pliskova instead of Sharapova, and no Serena!  My only solace is that Serena and Masha will run into each other sooner rather than later, so that is at least SOMETHING.

Men's team... idk, I'm feeling ok about it.  All green through 2 rounds, which I can't even remember the last time I achieved that.  Goffin gave me a heart attack in the first round.  Also, Khachanov looks like a guaranteed 80 at the least and I have Simon instead, so there's that, but I really can't complain at all.

Tono wrote:

My kinda thread Marco ;-) haha

I almost had the exact same womens team that you have picked, including finalists and winner, went for some extra bonus points with CSN and decided to drop Petra which didn’t work out, also picked Ostapenko as my runner up instead of Svito which was a fail.

I did really like the look of Petra Martic as my unseeded woman, but couldn’t resist taking Serena, happy with my men’s team though, although I may regret leaving out Goffin perhaps.

Likewise, I really liked Martic as an unseeded but just couldn't turn down Serena especially with the possibility of her making a deep run. I honestly would've picked her to come out of that section after Ostapenko lost so I was surprised how badly she lost to Wang

I did think if there was a tournament to go 4-3-1 it was this one. I really only felt great about 2 of the top women's seeds (Halep and Svitolina) and felt there were real risks with all the others I choose(Ostapenko/Kvitova/Muguruza).

2018: Guru Race Winner (2019 Yoda Cup Guru), Australian Open Yoda Cup Champion, Wimbledon Yoda Cup Champion, Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

For my men's team: i was always gonna take my top5 (rafa sasha thiem cilic goffin) along with nole and kei. My only question mark was the unseeded player and khachanov seemed to be in the softer section. But i also had eyes on cecchinato, klizan, gulbis or marterer. No SCW for me here.

For the women, it was tougher. I was only sure of 3 players: halep svitolina and muguruza. I didnt want to miss out Ostapenko another time and she showed good form in Rome and had a rather weak section. Otherwise i picked Woz because she was the only one i could more or less trust in the bottom quarter. So I could have picked kvitova or pliskova.. but they had really tough 3rd round opponents.
Bertens was a lock and masha looked a slightly better option than kontaveit but no guarantees. Serena was a lock as unseeded.

Right now my real SCW is picking Svito to win. I forgot how bad she can choke at a slam...i would feel more confident had I picked Halep to win it all at the moment.
Maybe I should have picked kvitova instead of ostapenko but.. no regret there to be honest.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Adunar wrote:

For my men's team: i was always gonna take my top5 (rafa sasha thiem cilic goffin) along with nole and kei. My only question mark was the unseeded player and khachanov seemed to be in the softer section. But i also had eyes on cecchinato, klizan, gulbis or marterer. No SCW for me here.

For the women, it was tougher. I was only sure of 3 players: halep svitolina and muguruza. I didnt want to miss out Ostapenko another time and she showed good form in Rome and had a rather weak section. Otherwise i picked Woz because she was the only one i could more or less trust in the bottom quarter. So I could have picked kvitova or pliskova.. but they had really tough 3rd round opponents.
Bertens was a lock and masha looked a slightly better option than kontaveit but no guarantees. Serena was a lock as unseeded.

Right now my real SCW is picking Svito to win. I forgot how bad she can choke at a slam...i would feel more confident had I picked Halep to win it all at the moment.
Maybe I should have picked kvitova instead of ostapenko but.. no regret there to be honest.

We seem to have thought pretty similarly Arnie. My men's team felt pretty easy this year, I felt the Top 5 were never in doubt as were Nole/Kei. Khachanov seemed like he had a great shot to reach 4R (I thought Garcia-Lopez would beat Stan and Pouille seemed beatable if he even made 3R). I did like Cecchinato as a possible unseeded and also looked at Gojowczyk/Klizan as well

I only felt there were two locks for the Women: Halep and Svitolina. Muguruza I was a lot less comfortable with after her poor clay season but thought besides Kuznetsova she had an easy path to the QFs. Ostapenko and Kvitova I felt were risky but the best options, especially Petra since I thought the 4th quarter was pretty open (I may've been wrong on Woz, she looks better than I was expecting). I really loved Garcia all clay season and still do but she got a terrible draw (Bertens 4R then Halep) so ultimately I decided to take my chances on those I thought had better chances at the SF.

I really liked Sevastova as an unseeded (dodged a bullet there) along with Kontaveit but Bertens and Maria were pretty easy picks. Of course, I couldn't risk leaving off Serena if she made a run but it otherwise would've been Martic.

Love this thread!

I don't really have regrets about my picks - other than I shoulda picked all the QFists! (duh...) 

Obviously, Ostapenko was a waste of skin, but that was never in doubt - she won last year she could do it again.  My real dilemma came between Muguruza and KaPliskova.  I ended up going for the former champ because of proven track record even though KaP seemed to be in better recent form - sure glad I listened to myself for a change!

I almost always get burned on my unseeded picks going out in minus sixteen, so pretty pumped about Serena and Tsitispas this time around.  I knew Stef was likely going to get thrashed by Thiem in the second, but I was just so happy to see no -16's on my men's team, so I forgave him.

I vaguely contemplated Cuevas instead of The Fly... and Garcia looked like a good pick but with no place to go... really my women's team seemed like an obvious lock... shows how little I know!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing