Topic: First time slam winners at the AO

Could there possibly be two first-time slam winners at this years AO... I say yes... What two would you predict...

I will go with: Simona Halep and Sascha Zverev

Re: First time slam winners at the AO

Trying to get some intel before the Yoda Cup eh Murreee. wink

Most of us probably won't divulge too much before AO starts, I would say Halep is more a chance than Zverev at this stage, a lot will depend on the draw I think, I'd pick Grigor before Sascha right now.

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

I;m going with the two G's... Goerges and Goffin

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion

Don't know if Zverev is ready. He had a shaky ending to last year, so I can't say he'll win this tournament. The women's pick is a complete toss up. Could very well be a first time winner.

'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ
'12 GSFT US Open Champ

I would go for Halep and Dimitrov.

But woz, pliskova, svitolina could do it too. Zverev and goffin maybe...

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion
Runner-Up: '13 Yoda Cup Guru, '15 & '13 Lord Vader, '15 Naboo Champion
Yoda Crew player of the year: '16 & '14
YC Wins: '12 & '13 Wimbledon

Zverev was a busy boy last year, I wonder whether he reduces his workload this year?, we may see better results if he does.

For the men, Dimitrov or Kyrgios have potential depending on who comes out of their quarter. You feel like it's only a matter of time before Zverev has his breakthrough, though the draw did him no favors.

On the women's side, Halep and Wozniacki have excellent chances with their form though Halep doesn't have the easiest draw.

Marco - Great to have you back..!!!

Murreee wrote:

Marco - Great to have you back..!!!

You as well Murreee!! Best of luck in Yoda Cup, interested to see who you end up going with!

Last edited by Marco19 (Jan. 12, 2018 8:26pm)

My allegedly educated guess is:  on the men's side, No Chance is the only player but Fed or Rafa with a shot to win it all.  Sorry!  Boring, no?  NO!!!

Definitely won't be Pliskova.  Halep will not win here this year is my definite wild guess with semi-certainty. 
Woz/Svitolina winner is my guess IF there's a new one, which means it probably will be Vandeweghe.

Last edited by Don (Jan. 12, 2018 11:48pm)