Re: Tennis Draw Challenge 2018 - Results & Discussion

Way to go doubles partner! I picked Petra because I thought Halep might still be carrying an injury!

Unbelievably, every single one of us picked Roger to win this in brackets. A glitch is preventing me from seeing what the sitewide picks look like, though.

Most common runner-up pick is Del Potro, with only one person picking Zverev (Snolly).  Most intresting pick is spotec picking Khachanov to make the semis.

Now is definitely the time for me to mix things up in Vader and Padme.  IW went very poorly for me.

Congrats to BHP and Adunar, our bracket winners for Indian Wells!

BHP won the men's side with 97 points, an excellent score, and a huge gap over those who failed to pick Del Po to make the final.  Things were closer on the women's side, with Adunar having a winning margin of less than 10 over all but three of our competitors.

That leaves us with BHP obviously starting off with the lead in ATP 1000s, and Edu barely hanging on to his WTA 1000/900 lead over Tenedab.

In the ATP Overall, Tenny has consolidated his lead, with HTS falling down to the #3 spot.  This means TE is our new #2, but is 22 points away from Tenny.

In WTA Overall, Adunar pulled even further ahead, increasing his lead to 19 points.  Edu and BHP have remained in the #2 and #3 spots, respectively.

WTA Miami picks have turned out to be, predictably, unpredictable.  Out of 16 of us, the most popular Winner pick is Simona Halep... with 5 of us picking her.  And although Kerber is by far the most popular Runner-Up pick, only two of is (BHP and Adunar) took her to win.  That's less than took Serena.

There's actually quite a number of Winners that were only taken by one of us:
Venus (HTS)
Petra (Spotec)
Mugu (Tono)
Svitolina (Arvis)

Honestly, anything could happen here, but those 4 will be the ones to keep an eye on, as it'll be Jackpot for someone if they actually win.

I'd also like to draw attention to Aiur putting Mladenovic in the semis, and Snolly putting Coco Vandy in the semis.

We all went with Feddy again in brackets.  And Delpo is the most popular runner-up, once again.  Not a creative bunch, are we?

The other runner-up picks are:
Cilic (Aiur, Drivers)
Chung (Murree, Arvis)
Grigor (BHP, Snolly)
Novak (Tenedab)
Raonic (HTS)
Goffin (Tono)

Me & Drivers know what's up...Or maybe not.

'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ
'12 GSFT US Open Champ

Aiur wrote:

Me & Drivers know what's up...Or maybe not.

Haha!!! Don’t count on it Aiur! I think I’ve been infected by the ‘Arvis curse’ recently!!

Drivers wrote:

Haha!!! Don’t count on it Aiur! I think I’ve been infected by the ‘Arvis curse’ recently!!

Nah, we got this. Cilic is a better fast court player than Del Po.

'12 GSFT US Open Champ

Aiur wrote:
Drivers wrote:

Nah, we got this. Cilic is a better fast court player than Del Po.

Aren't Miami courts one of the slowest hard courts in the schedule?

Huge bracket-busting loss with Goffin going out (badly).  6 of us had him in the semis or better here, including Tono who had him as runner-up.

Arvis wrote:

It was pretty much a joke because there aren't any actual fast courts left. Wozniacki said the balls at Indian Wells were bouncing higher than a clay court and the court felt just as slow in general. Miami is historically a little faster than Indian Wells, but if you're talking about being slightly faster than a clay court, it doesn't matter that much.

'12 GSFT US Open Champ

Aiur wrote:
Arvis wrote:

It was pretty much a joke because there aren't any actual fast courts left. Wozniacki said the balls at Indian Wells were bouncing higher than a clay court and the court felt just as slow in general. Miami is historically a little faster than Indian Wells, but if you're talking about being slightly faster than a clay court, it doesn't matter that much.

glad that the AO courts are fast..hope it stays that way.

16 Wimby 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Drivers' 6-point led in the WTA Miami bracket is impressive.  I'm thinking it was probably Ostapenko that gave her that cushion?

Dwight wins the Miami ATP bracket!  It was a topsy-turvy tournament, but Dwight still managed 90 points, 5 above second place Aiur and 37 over last place Snolly.  It was close, though, as the Top 7 were all within 10 points.

This leaves us with Tennis Elbow as our Masters 1000 leader heading into the lucrative clay season.  But he has a surprising challenge from Dtrain, who is only two points behind him.  Dtrain quietly had a very fine March in ATP brackets.  Our Top 5 are rounded out by BHP, Aiur, and Tono.  Who will prove to have the clay chops over the next two months?

The crucial part of all of this, though, is that Tenedab only managed 60 points here in Miami!  TE was 22 points behind him in the ATP Overall race going in, and wouldn't you know it, TE scored 83!  He is now 1 point ahead of Tenny and in the #1 position!  Nicely done TE!

---

Congrats to Drivers for winning the Miami WTA bracket!  However, she only managed 74 points.  Nobody correctly predicted a single semifinalist.  Tennis is only becoming more and more unpredictable, it seems.  Once again, the Top 7 were within 10 points of each other.  Murree finished last with 51.

Edu and Tenedab tied here, so there is no change to the WTA 1000/900 leaderboard.  TE, Spotec, and Snolly round our Top 5 here.

In the Overall, Adunar is now 23 points ahead of #2 Edu.  Tono is now #3, but after him the next 3 players are all very close in score.

Adunar has the WTA 470 lead going into Charleston!  There's some good variety in our Winner picks here, with Kasatkina far and away the favorite, with 6 of us backing her to lift the trophy.  The other Winner picks are as follows:
Petra (HTS, Lexus, Dwight)
Osaka (Drivers, Murree)
Konta (Tono, Aiur)
Garcia (Snolly)
Barty (BHP)
Keys (Spotec)

Picks are all pretty standard from here, with everyone backing the same small pool of players.  Worth pointing out that Arvis has Errani in the semis, and Tono backed Begu to make the last 4.  Also, 6 people picked Sloane to make the semis or better, but she has withdrawn, so they'll have a LL, most likely, in that spot.

---

In the smaller tourney of the week, Monterrey, Muguruza is the clear favorite, with the majority of the field being very very weak indeed.  11 of us backed her to win the whole thing.  Besides her, the other Winner picks are:
Tsurenko (Adunar, Spotec, Tenedab)
Puig (Arvis)
Collins (BHP)

Literally anything could happen here.  Interestingly, not just one, but TWO people (Tenny and Snolly) put Vickery of all people in the semis.

Arvis and Dtrain share the win in Charleston!  They both backed Bertens as runner-up, and she ended up going one better (a little SCW for Arvis on this one).  Adunar was 3rd and only 2 points behind them.  However, it was a 22 point gap over last place Murree.

Adunar's excellent result here sees him maintain a pretty convincing lead in the WTA 470 race.

Although Monterrey was only a 280, almost everyone got the Winner, Mugu, correct, resulting in a larger point total.  Snolly took the win with 51 points, shaking off the Snolly Curse he was operating for a short while.  Tenedab was, surprisingly, in last place here with only 28.  Both of them were the ones I mentioned as taking Vickery to make the semis, which they ended up being completely right about.

TE is our WTA 280 leader with a 5 point lead over Murree.

Adunar maintains his WTA Overall lead, but Tono is our new #2, with Edu falling to third.

In Marrakech, a few of us, including yours truly, already lost our Winner pick, Paire.  It was only 3 of us, which sounds like a small amount, but the most popular Winner pick here, Ramos, only had 5 people pick him.  Despite Ramos' terrible 2018 campaign so far, he seemed the most likely choice in this field full of land mines like Paire.  HTS picked Sousa to win.  Interesting.

Over in Houston, the Winner picks aren't as scattershot, but they're still pretty varied.  Isner is the favorite with 6, followed by Kyrgios with 5, Sock with 3, and Verdasco with 2.  Only 3 other men were picked to make the finals: Querrey, Pella (BHP), and Kicker (Arvis).  No love for defending champ Steve Johnson.

---

Let's all enjoy some coffee in Bogota this week as most of us await seeing Lara Arruabarrena hit the courts.  She is by far the most popular pick here.  She made the quarters in 2015, the semis in 2016, and the final in 2017.  Will the trend continue?  Other Winner picks are Bogdan, Riske (Murree, Lexus), VCR (Snolly, Dwight), and Ajla T (Spotec).

Up the road from our beloved Adunar, in beautiful Lugano, we've got a real dartboard tournament to enjoy.  Mertens is a very slight favorite, but really the picks are all over the place.  Here, just have a convenient list:
Mertens - 5
Mladenovic - 4
Kuznetsova - Dtrain, Snolly
Giorgi - Arvis
Sasnovich - Aiur
Kontaveit - Tenedab
Cornet - Murree
Siegemund - Dwight

^ What will happen?  Will ANYONE be right at the end of the week?  Who knows?

It's been raining in Lugano and they forecast 90-100% rain through Friday. What's up with that Adunar?

Rains can be long in that part of Switzerland during april. I am going to see matches next saturday and sunday.. hoping for double duties to see even more action!!

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

I hope you are enjoying the action, Adunar. Good luck with Mertens Sunday.

Congrats, Milo! Nicely done on both fronts.

tenedab wrote:

Congrats, Milo! Nicely done on both fronts.

Thanks T--dab!

16 Wimby 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

There is a bunch of injuries/WDs in Barcelona. Is this a trend?

When picking Pliskova in Prague either one comes out K.Pliskova and it's not clear which one is picked.