Re: Tennis Draw Challenge 2018 - Results & Discussion

Sorry to hear that Dtrain. Look forward to competing with you next year.

2018 Roland Garros Yoda Cup
2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup 2013 Winner of Fantasy Tennis Tour

Sorry for your loss, Dtrain. Good luck with your recovery.

Sending my sincere condolences DTrain, . Looking forward to competing with you again next year...!!!

2018 Lord Vader
2018 Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

Dtrain!  Oh no!  sad
That really really sucks that happened, but the whole Yoda Crew is so happy that you kept coming here and competing with us.  It's great having you.

I'm pretty sure the new tennis season starts on the last couple days of December. I often get too distracted with football to remember then start handicapped.  NEVER AGAIN!

Thanks TE, Tenny, Murreee, and Arvis!  Looking forward competing with you guys and chatting about tennis!  Arvis I thought the new season start around Australian Open!

Thanks Adunar and Drivers!  Adunar can you remind me when the new season starts and when I need to make my brackets and team picks Thanks!

It starts on Sunday December 30th for half pf the tournaments. So make sure you enter all your picks on saturday at the latest. And since it is in Australia, their sunday is your saturday. So make sure you enter you picks on friday evening or saturday morning US time.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Thanks Adunar!

Our FINAL three ATP tournaments last week!  How did we all fare? Did anyone do well enough to challenge Tenedab for the 250 title?
Moscow was taken by Murree with 37 points, an excellent total.  In Antwerp, Snolly and HTS tied for the win.  Snolly was dominating, but with Edmund's championship there, HTS jumped up to the top with him.  And in Stockholm, Dwight squeaked by Edu at the last moment thanks to Tsitsipas' win.   

Final 250 Standings
1. Tenedab: 939
2. Edu: -34
3. Lexus: -46
4. BHP: -48
5. Spotec: -52

Congratulations to Tenedab, our 2019 ATP 250 Bracket Champion!
And congrats to the rest of the top 5 on an excellent picking year.

In case anyone is curious, across all 250 tournaments for the year, Tenedab correctly predicted 571 match results, far exceeding anyone, including Edu who had the second most correct picks with 550.  But, perhaps more interestingly, who has the dubious distinction of having the most incorrect picks in 250s for 2018?  Surely it must be Arvis with his woeful and unorthodox picking?  Well, joke's on you, I missed a bunch of tournaments!  Ha!  So who was it?  Who got more 250 matches wrong than anyone else for the year?
That would be Tono, with 603 incorrect predictions!  That's 9 more than TE and 11 more than Adunar. I should probably mention, though, that he was within 0.2% of having a higher pick percentage than Arvis. tongue

ATP Overall
1. Edu: 2887
2T. Tenedab: -57 ↓14
2T. HTS: -57 ↑1 ↑1 rank? Sort of?
5. Adunar: -107 ↓11
4. Tono: -115 ↓10

Edu is dominating now, but we have two 500s and a 1000 left, so this competition is not over yet!

---

And our WTA Season wrapped up last week.  What an amazing year of fantasy tennis it has been.  Great job to all of you who finished on the leaderboard for 2018!
In our final 470, Moscow, TE won with 46 points.  And in the final 280, Luxembourg, Tenedab squeaked by Adunar by 1 point, winning with a total of 32.  Let's see how our final 280, 470, and Overall standings look!

Final 280 Standings
1. Drivers: 770
2. Tono: -25
3. Edu: -29
3. TE: -38
5. Lexus: -45

Well done, Drivers!  What an unbelievable late-season surge you had to take this title!  That was so impressive and even fun to follow!
Who finished with the most Correct Picks?  Guess who: Tenedab!  In fact, Tenedab has the distinction of being the only one of us to finish the 280 year with a Correct Pick percentage higher than 50%.  He had 481 correct and 480 incorrect. lol
HTS finished with the most Incorrect Picks and Arvis finished with the lowest %.

Final 470 Standings
1. Tenedab: 365
2. Tono: -40
3. TE: -41
4. BHP: -42
5. Edu: -45

Well done to our most consistent picker, Tenedab!  You basically dominated this category, bro.  Well done!  As for the other Top 5, those margins are hilarious.  Did you guys do that on purpose?  If I were Tono I would lord that 1 point over TE all year.
Most Correct Picks here goes to (SHOCK!) Tenedab, with 194 correct!  Just like with the 280s, he is the only one to finish with a pick percentage about 50%.  Most Incorrect goes to Murree and lowest percentage once more goes to Arvis.

Final WTA Overall Standings!

1. Edu: 2370
2. Tono: -7
3. TE: -42
4. Tenedab: -46
5. Adunar: -50

The 2018 WTA Bracket Champion: Edu Anackin!!
Edu, along with Tono, TE, Tenedab and Adunar set the pace for us in WTA brackets and they'll be the ones to beat in 2019.
Edu did so well here that he actually has Most Correct Picks as well, beating Tenedab by 6 picks.  And although we all struggled in 280s and 470s, Overall most of us were over 50%.  Dwight finished with the lowest Overall pick percentage and HTS finished with the Most Incorrect Picks.

Lastly, because I didn't report it previously:

Most Correct Picks
1000/900 - Edu
Grand Slams - Edu

Most Incorrect Picks & Lowest Pick Percentage
1000/900 - BHP
Grand Slams - Dtrain

Thanks stats man, big congrats to Edu and the other winners!

2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year

Thanks for your kind words Arvis and for your entertaining summaries. Congratulations to other winners:- ESPECIALLY EDU!!

Incredible performance Edu, well deserved!!

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Dtrain. 
I hope next year is WAY better for you, both on and off the fantasy-tennis-court!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion

Arvis,
thanks for this, buddy.

"Dwight finished with the lowest Overall pick percentage"

There I was consoling myself that I had the least incorrect picks in WTA brackets of the regular fantasy players (those with more than 75% of tournaments played), but I was just hiding behind the fact that I missed 7 tournaments this year.  So Arvis thank you for relieving me of that false notion and pointing out how totally out of touch, ham-fisted, and tone-deaf I was to the WTA this year. 

Excuse me while I go find a ham sandwich to choke on...

Things can only get better, right?

Goal for next year:  compete in all the tournaments and beat out HTS for most incorrect picks.

Congrats to Edu, Drivers and others. Well done!

dwightcharles wrote:

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Dtrain. 
I hope next year is WAY better for you, both on and off the fantasy-tennis-court!

Thank You Dwight!  Congrats to Edu and the rest of the Yoda Crew!

Dwight, know that wherever you are, I just sent you an e-hug. tongue

Aw shucks, Arvis.  Thanks.
back atcha...

Thanks very much, everybody! Very proud of this title, congrats to Drivers and Tene on their respective titles!

Champion: '16 Padme Cup, '16 Roland Garros Yoda Cup,' 16 Leia Tiara, '15 Lando Calrissian's Ring (250's), '15 GQ "The Green Anackin", '16 Trophy Case Award, '17 BB-8 Cup
Runner Up: '16 Rey Saber, '13 US Open Yoda Cup, '14 R2D2 Phoenix Crown.

I am my own daughter!

Our ATP 500 bracket comp has wrapped up this past weekend!  Who won our final two tournaments?  Did Edu hang on to his extremely narrow lead in 500s?

Well, in Basel, Edu and BHP tied for the win with 57 points!  Surely that means Edu held his lead.  However, the margins here were very small.  Could Vienna have changed things?
Murree won Vienna in a huge way!  He was the only one to take Kevin Anderson as Winner and he finished with another 57 points.  However, margins were much larger here.  Could Murree have done enough to make an impact on the Top 5?  Could any of our other Top 5 have done enough to dethrone Edu?

FINAL ATP 500 Brackets Standings
1. Edu: 508

2T. HTS: -21
2T. Lexus: -21
4. TE: -30
5. Drivers: -31

Congratulations Edu on yet another major title!  Wow!  How on earth have you done this??  Edu was in the lead in 500s by 2 points going into the week, so he dominated yet again.  What amazing performance under pressure.
Congrats to TE and Drivers for getting on the board in the final week and to HTS and Lexus for managing a tie for second place after an entire year of 500s!

Edu also had the Most Correct Picks in 500s.  Snolly managed Most Incorrect as well as Lowest Percentage.

ATP Overall
1. Edu: 2990
2. HTS: -75 ↓18
3. Tenedab: -89 ↓32 ↓1 rank
4. Adunar: -134 ↓27
5. Tono: -136 ↓21

I don't think there's any way on the planet that Edu can lose.  The margins are just way too high and none of the Top 5 went for any risky picks in Paris.  Maybe if Edu had forgotten to make a Paris bracket he MIGHT have lost, but he didn't.
Well, Edu, I feel comfortable saying the ATP Overall Bracket championship is yours!  It will be official in a couple days!  Incredibly well done this year, Edu!

Last edited by Arvis (Oct. 29, 2018 9:53am)

Huge Congrats to Edu!!

So R2D2 comes down to Arnie, me and (no surprise) Edu!  my last shot at glory for this year

Edu has me by 5 points and I'm 12 ahead of Arnie so far but we've got a lot of different match picks to settle the score...
Arnie has Simon over Thiem and Medvedev
Edu has Medvedev over Coric and Thiem
I've got Coric over Medvedev and Thiem
it's a nasty little section and any of the four players look like reasonable choices - surprisingly none of us picked Thiem to emerge to the QF

Other QF differences are
Arnie and I have Isner, but Edu has Khachs
Arnie and Edu have KAndy, but I have Nishikori
Edu and I both have Cilic, but Arnie has RBA

Moving to the semis
Arnie has Isner and Anderson
Edu has Zverev and Fed
and I have Zverev and the glass prince

If Arnie is still within 12 pts after the semis he can overtake with Isner as a finalist.  Then we all picked Djo to win

So R2D2 now rests in the hands of Nishikori for me.  I'm in the unenviable position of needing the Glass Prince to beat KAnderson and then Federer.  Otherwise the crown goes to Edu.  His head must be getting heavy! smile

Close battle for the prestigious R2D2 award! Sounds like Edu is in the box seat