Topic: Can a home player win a home Slam tournament..???

It is awesome that UK has potential winners on their home court this year with Murray and Konta...

Will any home country player win any home Slam tournament in the next year... Serena out of US open... Kyrgios looking doubtful for Aussi... Nadal will kill it at Roland Garros... UK has best chance at 2017 and 2018 Wimbledons for a home victory...

Last edited by Murreee (Jul. 11, 2017 7:04am)

Re: Can a home player win a home Slam tournament..???

Britain definitely has the best odds on the Men's side with Murray. An American won't win the US Open for the men, Kyrgios has the talent to win Australia but almost certainly won't and I'd rule out Roland Garros

For the women it's more likely. Konta obviously could at Wimbledon. I wouldn't favor an American to win the US but Venus and Vandeweghe were both in the SFs at the last hardcourt slam so they have to be considered possibilities. Australia seems unlikely but a Mladenovic win at RG is definitely possible next year.

All in all, I wouldn't be on any of those outcomes but if I was ranking the odds I'd say

1. Wimbledon (Men)
2.  Wimbledon (Women)
3.  French Open (Women)
4. US Open (Women) 
5.  Australian Open (Men)
6.  French Open (Men)
7t.  US Open (Men)
7t.  Australian Open (Women)

Absolutely agree with your in-depth assessment 1-7..!!!

Konta one step closer = Great day for the UK...!!!

Great win today by Konta, disappointed as a Halep fan (And one who left Konta off his team for Simona) but Konta played great and deserved the win. She served incredibly well and her power game really wore down Simona, who's excellent defensively but whose lack of a finishing game hurts her on grass against an opponent of Konta's caliber.

Konta's playing really well and I give her a ton of credit having won 3 tough matches (Vekic, Garcia, Halep) and dealing with the pressure of being the hometown favorite. She's serving well, I'd favor Venus in the semis but Konta's had success against her and can keep it close assuming she continues to serve as well as she's been.

With Murray out it's up to Konta now to represent UK at home - I am pulling for her to win but will she feel the pressure..???

Great posts guys! Murreee has 13 posts and Marco19 has 25. You both should be playing with the Yoda Crew in the Yoda Comp at the US OPEN

16 Wimby 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Murreee wrote:

With Murray out it's up to Konta now to represent UK at home - I am pulling for her to win but will she feel the pressure..???

I have Venus on my team and left Konta off only because the fall she took and hit her head in the lead up tournament. She's the real deal though and would be happy if the won it all but would be even more pleased if Venus won Wimbledon at what like 55 years old? lol wink

16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid

Thanks! Would love the chance to compete in the Yoda Cup by the US Open!!

Likewise unfortunately I also left off Konta. For my last two slots, was between Konta, Halep and Muguruza. Muguruza turned out to be a good choice. I left her off since I thought Kvitova had a good chance to take her out 4R, her Wimbledon record was pretty bad and the head injury also worried me. I'm rooting for a Venus-Muguruza final and a Venus win, partly for selfish reasons (I have them both and picked Venus to make the final) but regardless of the picks here, would love to see her get another slam at her age!!

Last edited by Marco19 (Jul. 12, 2017 2:52pm)

I left Jo off for the same time reason BHP. I had Venus but removed her when I heard about her upsetting accident which I thought might unsettle her. I am absolutely torn between the two of them as regards to who I would like to win tomorrow:- th home favourite, who has been seriously impressive so far, or a legend of the  game for whom I have enormous respect and who has been seriously impressive for many reasons for a considerable length of time. It's a nice dilemma to have!!

Be good to see you in the group next time round Marco and Murree!

I genuinely believed Vekic would be too much for a nervous Konta.

Absolutely pulling for  Konta / Muguruza final... For some reason I want UK to get a womens champion at Wimbledon like they did with Murray... So long without a home champion I am pilling for them...

I also left Konta out because of the fall and head injury - Plus she had  never advanced past second round at home grass... She looks great so far but tomorrow will be a real test... #beatvenus

Well thats the end of the Brits for this year - Venus has looked so focused and relaxed since she was found not guilty in the recent accident - She kindda dominated Konta - Wish better results for Brits next year but all in all a good showing for UK this year... Konta can be proud..!!!

I have no one left in my WTA draw but now I will be pulling for Muguruza...

Still have Federer so who better to have..!!!  #Fedruzachamps

Congrats Murree, you have hit 50 posts, you will be invited to join us in Yoda for the US Open. smile

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

CONGRATS MURREEE! Welcome to the Yoda Crew.  smile

16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid

Welcome Murree!

Thanks and thrilled to be able to compete with the best... I do not have a good showing here at 2017 Wimbledon - But I did have a top 14 finish at 2017 Aussie so hopefully I will bring some competition to the Yoda Crew..!!!

Welcome to the best Fantasy League in the world, Murree!

Welcome aboard Murreee

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Just saw this post from last year when posting mine and noticed there was one since. Funny how I don't think any of us would've had Sloane Stephens being the one to do so at this time last year.

Also I feel like we're a lot less bullish on a British victory one year later...

Last edited by Marco19 (Jun. 27, 2018 11:18pm)