Topic: 2016 French Open is upon us

Hello everybody,

The French is nearly there and there have been some nice shift of power lately on both the ATP and WTA tour.

Here is a look at the seeded players (with possible changes by the end of the Rome tournament in brackets)

ATP
1    Djokovic
2    Murray
3    Federer
4    Wawrinka
8    Berdych
12    Ferrer
16    RBA
20     Anderson
21    Paire
22     Tomic
23    Lopez
24    Troicki
28    Sousa
29    Karlovic
30    Dolgopolov
31    Pouille
32    Chardy
    Querrey
    Coric
    Bellucci

WTA
1    S.Williams
2    Kerber
3    A.Rad
4    Muguruza
8    Bencic
12    Safarova
16    Keys (12)
20    Stephens
21    Konta
22    Stosur
23    Cibulkova
24    Jankovic
28    Makarova
29    Petkovic
30    Kasatkina
31    Strycova
32    Wozniacki
    Garcia
    Bouchard

Reminder

For R32:
1-8 seeds play 25-32, 9-16 play 17-24
For the R16:
1-4 seeds play 13-16, 5-8 play 9-12

Goffin, Thiem and Monfils will fall in a R16 vs the top4. Expect some brutal matches there.
Meanwhile, Vinci and Bencic seem to be overrated in these seedings.

No one else can become a seeded player without a withdrawal.

Last edited by Adunar (May. 14, 2016 11:56am)

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, UFTR year-end #1, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Re: 2016 French Open is upon us

Fascinating!

I'd say Federer is a pretty weak #3 seed given his recent lack of play - and his form in the last two weeks has been poor (understandably). 

At #4, Wawrinka is highly unpredictable - another title run or another early crash?? roll the dice...

At #s 5 and 6, I'd say Nadal and Nishikori should be favoured instead of Fed/Waw.  Both Nad and Nis have looked strong on clay this year, with deep runs in the last two clay masters.

The wild cards to watch out for are probably Goffin, Thiem, Kyrgios, Raonic, and Kyrgios.  They're all in the Race top 10 (after Rome), except for Kyrgios at #11.

But although it's tempting to write-off Federer, Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych, and Gasquet, if there's anything I've learned in the last 5 years it's don't write-off the old guys.  Expect a deep run from at least one of them.

---
On the women's side it really is a lottery...

Serena SHOULD win, but has not shown much resolve this year.

After that, Kerber COULD also go deep, but since her shocking AUS title, she's been anything but consistent.

ARad can't play on clay.

Muguruza is a potential winner if everything breaks her way, but I'd say the odds of that are quite low.

Azarenka certainly has a slam-winner's game, but despite her protestations to the contrary hasn't shown convincing clay chops.

Halep is another potential winner but she could also lose first round - depending on which Jekyll shows up.

Bencic has looked seriously lost since her 1-2-3-bingo title in Canada last year.

Bacsinszky actually had a decent shot at the title last year, as did Safarova, so neither can be counted out, even if they are highly unlikely winners.

Kvitova has five 900/1000 titles to her credit (including 2 on clay), 2 slams, a YEC, and 4 Fed Cups so she has to be in the conversation... but omg - girlfriend is unpredictable!

CSN should be a real threat on clay, but despite making 5 slam QFs, she's never been to a semi... but a break out is not impossible.

Despite floundering the last few years Kuznetsova has shown signs of life this year making the final in Miami taking out Serena along the way.  She loves clay, and won at RG in 2009.  So she could be dangerous.  Although my saying that pretty much guarantees she will lose in the first round.

Keys and Stephens are both capable of big things and we're all waiting for that break-out performance - a slam title certainly seems possible, but discipline of the mind remains in question.

So yeah, for the women about 1/4 of my money is on Serena, and for the rest... where's that ouija board?

Last edited by dwightcharles (May. 15, 2016 2:29am)

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion

WTH did Kohlschreiber miss his flight or did he decide to console Kerber with her shoulder injury!  WTH is wrong with Garcia! Great Go Razzano sad

Here's a complication: Monfils, in his most consistent year, playing at his favorite tournament, is a Top 16 player.  Does anyone dare use a Top 16 spot for him?  Obviously will depend on who the high (and low) seed in his section is.

Taking Monfils here seems like a very Johnny move, but every time Johnny picks something ridiculous, usually at least one other person has done the same or similar (Beck and Friedsam notwithstanding).

RG and the Yoda Cup, gotta love it!! big_smile

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Someone Please refresh my memory! Do I just log in to Gamma Goblet when I make my picks for RG! I will miss you guys in Yoda Cup! sad

Oh Crap! I am in the same league as Drivers and Spotec sad

It will all get sorted Dtrain, you will still be competing in the Yoda Cup with us don't worry.

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year

Not if Spotec and Drivers keep winning I won't their in the same league as me in the Gamma Goblet! sad

No, Dtrain you are always in the Yoda Cup, the other leagues are separate from the Yoda Cup comp, Alpha, Beta and Gamma are a promotion-relegation competition remember so you will still be competing with us in the Yoda Cup at RG.

But someone said I got demoted and drop to a lower league and told me to please remove myself from Yoda Cup! Forgot who ask me to

No, you stay in the Yoda Cup forever and ever!  EVEN IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE!  >:(

Yes Dtrain, the only way out is DEATH!!
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaahahaahahaahahahaaha

MWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  >:D

Last edited by Arvis (May. 18, 2016 9:54am)

So I will be in both leagues Gamma Goblet and Yoda Cup!

Dtrain wrote:

C' mon dtrain. Gamma Goblet is a quite nicke League as well. smile

2017 King Droid & R2D2 Crown Champion, Yoda Crew Trophy Case Award

LOL Dtrain. It is always easier to go down than to go up. Good luck to all of you!!

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, UFTR year-end #1, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Dtrain wrote:

But someone said I got demoted and drop to a lower league and told me to please remove myself from Yoda Cup! Forgot who ask me to

That was to remove yourself from Beta Bowl and go to Gamma Goblet (which you did).  Alpha Cup/Beta Bowl/Gamma Goblet has nothing to do with Yoda Cup - a lot of people from Alpha/Beta are in Yoda Cup, but the correlation stops there.

spotec wrote:
Dtrain wrote:

C' mon dtrain. Gamma Goblet is a quite nicke League as well. smile

Ok Spotec!

Tommy_Dearest wrote:
Dtrain wrote:

That was to remove yourself from Beta Bowl and go to Gamma Goblet (which you did).  Alpha Cup/Beta Bowl/Gamma Goblet has nothing to do with Yoda Cup - a lot of people from Alpha/Beta are in Yoda Cup, but the correlation stops there.

Thanks for clearing that up for me TD!

Arvis wrote:

No, you stay in the Yoda Cup forever and ever!  EVEN IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE!  >:(

I will never leave! tongue

Unless you receive a code violation Dtrain. wink

What roll