Topic: The next wave of young players

Hard to consider players like Del Po, Murray, Nadal and Djokovic old, but there is a new wave of younger players starting to emerge on the circuit. Most notably are Richard Berankis, Bernard Tomic, Milos Raonic and Grigor Dimitrov. Berankis, Tomic and Raonic are all in the 3rd round of the Aussie Open (Ranoic is up two sets on Youzhny as I type this) and Dimitrov was dismissed by Stan Wawrinka who is playing some great tennis so far this tourney. There's a possibility these 4 guys could bust onto the scene like Murray, Del Po, and Djokovic did 3+ years ago.

The most notable of these 4 guys is Grigor Dimitrov. He's been hailed as the next Fed. It sounds crazy, but after watching some of his matches, you can see why people are saying it. When you look at Dimitrov play, it's like watching Federer from 9+ years ago (minus the crying antics of Fed). Just about everything Dimitrov does is a direct copy of Fed. Dimitrov still has a lot to work on, most notably the return of serve, but with refinement it's not hard to imagine this guy winning some 'Slams.

If these guys pan out, the period of tennis from 2004-2020 or so might be considered as the best ever.

'12 GSFT US Open Overall Champ
'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'20 Yoda Cup AO Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ

Re: The next wave of young players

Yeah I heard there are big wraps on Berankis and I know Raonic has a huge serve but haven't seen a lot of Dimitrov to be honest, I see he is ranked 105 currently, i'll have to look out for him in the near future I think. As for Tomic i'll sit on the fence for now and see how he goes against Rafa to determine a bit more of his possible future.
I think you might have to add Tobias Kamke to this lot too, there is always someone who is determined waiting in the wings to take the world by storm, who knows maybe its Dimitrov since Roger is his idol and he is not a regular household name yet.
I thought Ernests Gulbis would have made the top ten by now but not sure how bad he wants it though, the guy has a tonne of talent too.

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Ernests has the game to do it, but he just isn't committed. He reminds me of Richard Gasquet, only worse. Maybe it's because his family is filthy rich, IDK.

Getting back to Dimitrov, I think he can be the real deal. If he can serve consistently in the 120's occasionally popping it in the 130's (like Fed) and refine his game, we'll be talking about this guy winning 'Slams in a few years time. Right now, he just seems to lack the overall match experience at the highest level. BTW, here's a nice side-by-side of the Dimitrov and Federer backhands.

http://crackbillionair.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/federer-dimitrov.jpg

Compilation of points against Stan a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWx8w0a4DpU

Last edited by Aiur (Jan. 22, 2011 1:09am)

'20 Yoda Cup AO Champ

The guys I think are most likely to have a breakthrough are Berankis, Tomic, Troicki, and Raonic. I know, I'm pretty much cheating with Raonic....

Is 22 too old?  What about Dolgopolov?  He has beaten Soderling, and Ferrer on clay this year.

Too bad about Raonic, nothing like retiring with the lead.

I haven't seen Dimitrov play, I'll try to watch some of his match against Tsonga tomorrow.

Last edited by Wolmas (Jun. 22, 2011 6:16pm)

Wolmas wrote:

I haven't seen Dimitrov play, I'll try to watch some of his match against Tsonga tomorrow.

What did you think, Wolmas?  Pretty exciting match!  One of the best of the tournament so far.

-Arvis

Yep look for Dimitrov to make giant strides next year in 2012 I think!

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Grigor is the real deal. Watched his match against Tsonga yesterday. He needs to work on his first serve, footwork and speed, but he can hit all of the shots. He also has one of the nastiest second serves I've seen. He seemed to get more free points off of that than the first serve.

'20 Yoda Cup AO Champ

Arvis wrote:
Wolmas wrote:

What did you think, Wolmas?  Pretty exciting match!  One of the best of the tournament so far.

-Arvis

Afraid I didn't watch much - a few points here and there.  Yesterday was kind of busy for me.  I did see Dimitrov try to pull off that underneath-the-legs shot that Rog has been successful with quite a few times - it was the second-to-last point I believe.  A poor decision. 

Tomic advanced to the 3rd round, and is facing Soderling tomorrow.  I'm guessing there won't be much tv coverage of that match, except maybe a few points on split screen.

When we talk about the young guns my favorite is Ryan Harrison.He is wary solid from the base line and has a great serve,aldough he is not that tall.I like him much more than Raonic,and if I may say,he will be a better player.

Last edited by Guga (Jun. 27, 2011 5:00pm)

I must add...It's a big question who will be a beter player.But I defenetly like Harrison much more than Raonic. smile

Nice post in which we are learn a lot of career in the web design and the maintenance.Many of the people got there future in this field .This site maintained very smoothly and very fashionable .Thanks for sharing this   information with us .In which learn a lot of knowledgeable information .
seo next reviews