Topic: Seeds Dropping

Woes and slippage continue for Bouchard (Maldenovic ranked 44) and Radwanska (Beck ranked 83); both were ousted in the first round of FO2015.  It is not so much a surprise since each, in her own way, was finding ways to lose. I just hoped they'd find their range at this slam. Now, I did not expect them to win the trophy but expected a better showing.

On the other hand, I was a bit surprised at the ouster of Jalena Jankovic and Grigor Dimitrov.  The young woman who sent Jelena packing did have a reasonably promising career before a two year doping band. She was never the same when she came back, remains out of the top 100. It was nice to see her in the winner's circle, and it will be interesting to see how far she can go.

Jack Sock bounced Dimitrov. Even though I knew Jack Sock was getting better, I was not expecting this win for him. I like Dimitrov. Still, I do sometimes wonder whether Dimitrov is hype,

Last edited by SAWLEO (May. 26, 2015 11:45pm)

Re: Seeds Dropping

This is just a weird tournament all the way around.  But I learned some interesting things about Sesil Karatantcheva, for sure.  She was banned for doping and tried to get around it by claiming she was pregnant.... WHEN SHE WAS 15 YEARS OLD!!  *shudder shudder shudder*
Yeah, count me out as a fan of hers.  She can do what she likes, of course, but I won't be rooting for her.

Re: Seeds Dropping

Arvis wrote:

This is just a weird tournament all the way around.  But I learned some interesting things about Sesil Karatantcheva, for sure.  She was banned for doping and tried to get around it by claiming she was pregnant.... WHEN SHE WAS 15 YEARS OLD!!  *shudder shudder shudder*
Yeah, count me out as a fan of hers.  She can do what she likes, of course, but I won't be rooting for her.

That is exactly what happened. I was on another tennis board.  The incident caused a stir on that board and in the tennis community.

Re: Seeds Dropping

Gross.

Re: Seeds Dropping

Now this is getting personal. One of my weapons is gone. Simona was dismissed by Mirjana Lucic (ranked 70), 5-7, 1-6. YELP, on any given day, one professional tennis player can beat another professional tennis player. This woman retired and came back to play a top player and win.

I wish I knew a bit more about the various eras of women's tennis. Serena and Maria seem more mentally attuned to the rigor than some of this new crop. Maybe that is just the way it appears.

Last edited by SAWLEO (May. 27, 2015 11:01am)

Re: Seeds Dropping

Actually the only surprise for me of those mentioned was Dimitrov, and yet not a big surprise, I thought Dimitrov would survive there but I'm glad Sock won, I can't stand Dimitrov to be honest. I saw their match in Stockholm last year and based my prediction on that, but as I said I'm glad I was wrong.

Jankovic had some problems the last couple of months. With some injury and also with lack of self-confidence.

Bouchard and Radwanska are going down, free fall.

Not a huge upset that Halep is out either, although I did expect her to win, I really didn't think she will fall against the same player again. But she clearly have some issues she needs to sort out. If you want to belong to the top and fight for majors you can't keep making the same mistakes over and over again. I actually think she needs another coach.

Regarding Lucic-Baroni, I only have one thing to say: WOW!!! I really like the way she plays, I hope she can keep it up.

Re: Seeds Dropping

By the way, not an upset at all but Mahut beat Gulbis today and that will make Gulbis the worst loser in terms of ranking this week. He's now at #86, but can fall even more depending on what other players do.

Last edited by madman (May. 27, 2015 12:37pm)

Re: Seeds Dropping

Halep is 29-6 this year with 3 titles and is defending Finalist points here and her loss in the 2nd round is "not a huge upset"?  I wonder what WOULD be an upset by your standards, madman. tongue

Re: Seeds Dropping

Arvis wrote:

Halep is 29-6 this year with 3 titles and is defending Finalist points here and her loss in the 2nd round is "not a huge upset"?  I wonder what WOULD be an upset by your standards, madman. tongue

It's not a huge upset because she lost the exact same player in R3 in US Open last time.

Besides Lucic-Baroni is a very good player with lots of experience.

It's an upset but not a "huge" one. Not to me at least.

But, I'm also not too fond of Simona Halep. I think she's a tad bit over-rated to be honest.

I was actually close to betting on Lucic-Baroni but I didn't. As I said I thought Halep would win, but I'm not all that surprised I was wrong.

Last edited by madman (May. 27, 2015 2:42pm)

Re: Seeds Dropping

Lucic lost 2 and 3 to Urszula Radwanska in the first round of the Rome Qualies just a few weeks ago.  >___>

Re: Seeds Dropping

Arvis wrote:

Lucic lost 2 and 3 to Urszula Radwanska in the first round of the Rome Qualies just a few weeks ago.  >___>

But she won her first round match i this Grand Slam.

Halep lost to Cornet a few weeks back, that is not a good sign if you want to be a contender for a Grand Slam title. Simona has a lot of work to do smile

I will say this: I think she can go the same way as Radwanska and Bouchard are heading right now if she doesn't change anything. I don't know exactly what she should do but there's definitely something that is not working as good as it could.

A lot of people see her as a real contender for the majors. I don't. Not at this point in time, she has the potential though. Thats why I think it might be good to try another coach.

I actually think that a player like Wozniacki has better chance at a major as it is now.

Re: Seeds Dropping

madman wrote:
Arvis wrote:

Lucic lost 2 and 3 to Urszula Radwanska in the first round of the Rome Qualies just a few weeks ago.  >___>

But she won her first round match i this Grand Slam.

Halep lost to Cornet a few weeks back, that is not a good sign if you want to be a contender for a Grand Slam title. Simona has a lot of work to do smile

I will say this: I think she can go the same way as Radwanska and Bouchard are heading right now if she doesn't change anything. I don't know exactly what she should do but there's definitely something that is not working as good as it could.

A lot of people see her as a real contender for the majors. I don't. Not at this point in time, she has the potential though. Thats why I think it might be good to try another coach.

I actually think that a player like Wozniacki has better chance at a major as it is now.

While I still contend that Halep should not be out of this tournament so early, I do agree with many of your thoughts about her; she has a ways to go, and it may take someone other than her current coach. I do not, however, anticipate that she will go south in the way of Agnie and Eugenia.

I was not so familiar with Lucic. An article by Matt Cronin gave more insight. In fact, it was comments to the article that open my eyes. One person saw her give Seles a fit and remained impressed to this day. Another person revealed that she was abused by her father, and that may have stopped her prospects as a contender. (Reminded me of Mary Pierce and Jelena Dokic).

The article follows:

After major choke in Strasbourg, Lucic-Baroni redeems herself in Paris
WEDNESDAY, MAY 27, 2015 /by MATT CRONIN

Mirjana Lucic-Baroni upset world No. 3 Simona Halep in the second round of Roland Garros, a week after a monumental collapse in Strasbourg. The 33-year-old led Madison Keys by a set and 5-0 but lost the match, 4-6, 7-6 (3) 7-6 (0).   

“I would like that nobody saw the result, that nobody knows about it, but it's obviously tough,” she said. “I was playing amazing tennis last week, and so is Madison. She's playing best tennis of her career and very confident. I was playing great, and at 5-0 she let her hand go and started hitting some winners. I had one bad service game and then I got a little bit tight.

“Nobody likes to admit, but [choking] happens. Still I was happy because we played a really competitive third set, as well. So that shows mental toughness on my part that I'm really happy with, that I have been working on.

“Even though I lost, I had a couple of glasses of wine that night.”

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/05/ … Wb9u65CpRA

Re: Seeds Dropping

More seeds are falling. Two players I thought might make the second week defeated by two players I almost selected but chickened out. Julia Georges packed Caroline's bags 6-7, 7-6.  Pablo Andujar bounced Phillipp Kohlschreiber. I really like Julia, but she'd fallen so far. Pablo captured me at other clay court tournaments.

It is not a surprise, but I hoped a more determined Svetlana showed up; she didn't. Kuznetsova was defeated by Francesca Schiavone 7-6, 5-7, 8-10.

Last edited by SAWLEO (May. 28, 2015 9:21am)

Re: Seeds Dropping

There are no surprises in tennis, apparently.

Re: Seeds Dropping

Hardly a "huge" surprise that Lucic-Baroni won since she's been doing it before. She beat Monica Seles in Wimbledon, she beat the exact same player (Halep) just 8 months ago. Surpsie yes, "huge" surprise absolutely not.

If she never acomplished anything before then it would've been a huge surprise, but thats is not the case here. She does have a great game when she has a good day, hopefully she can continue with this now and not make too much mistakes. If she does I don't see any player except for the top players that would stop her.

It's all about talent, not a surprise that Sciavone beat Kuznetsova either, thats was 50/50 in my opinion. It's kinda hard to say it's a surprise if a former champion and finalist win against an opponent that she mentally owns (since their match in Australia which by the way had the exact same scenario).

You have too look for which capacity a player has and not just on rankings and how they have played in the tournaments leading up to a slam (because the slam is the main focus). Some players are very up and down, like Robin Soderling, he almost always played "bad" (not extremely bad but mostly bad) in the tournaments before Roland Garros but then reached the final two straight years.

It's like saying it would be a "huge" upset if Bouchard reached the final, it would've been a small upset if that would've happen but not huge at all considering the talent she has.

Same thing could be said about Nadal actually since he's had his worst clay court season in over 10 years, would it surprise me if he win the tournament? No lol

Wawrinka is another example, he can be so bad you will just turn off your TV in anger but he always play better in the slams with one exception for last years Roland Garros.

By the way, do you think Stosur can make life a living hell for Sharapova? I haven't seen Stosur play for a really long time but apparently she's been playing good lately and we all know what she's capable of. I think she's extremely unpredictable.

Re: Seeds Dropping

SAWLEO wrote:

While I still contend that Halep should not be out of this tournament so early]

I'm angry at one thing regarding this: When she lost to Cornet a few weeks back I said to myself to not pick her for my team but then during the tournament in Rome, I for some reason changed my mind. I'm pissed off that I didn't follow the intuition I had.

Re: Seeds Dropping

madman wrote:

By the way, do you think Stosur can make life a living hell for Sharapova? I haven't seen Stosur play for a really long time but apparently she's been playing good lately and we all know what she's capable of. I think she's extremely unpredictable.

I love Samantha's game when she is executing it well. Yes, she can make life a living hell for Maria. Although Maria has owned Samantha, Samantha has beaten Maria. And, she has played well the last few matches. In an interview, Samantha attributed her recent wins to the fact that she is back with and working with her old coach.

But, as you note, she's extremely unpredictable. I think it will be a good match. The outcome is dependent upon, not only, which Samantha shows up. It is also dependent upon which Maria shows up. Maria can get quite messy and beat herself.

Re: Seeds Dropping

I always feel that Sam can win any match she plays if she plays at her best level. But it was a while ago she played really good now. Could be an interesting match.

She needs to keep the UE's down, her serve and forehand is a really good weapon, especially on clay.

Re: Seeds Dropping

Expect Maria to keep getting better and better as the tournament goes on madman, I see you are only 3 more posts away from a Yoda Cup invite. wink

2021 AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Re: Seeds Dropping

Lucic-Baroni makes Stan Wawrinka seem like a stable player big_smile

Too many UE's from her, she really had the chance on the fourth round today but blew it.

Cornet vs Svitolina instead. Really great opportunity for Cornet. Svitolina had some tough battles already. But who knows the pressure might be too much for Cornet, after all she's mentally very unstable.

Re: Seeds Dropping

It's really not that Lucic is "unstable".  She really really isn't.  She's what we call in tennis terms "not very good".  Her win over Halep was because Halep was not playing very well.  It was a massive upset, and Normal Halep would crush Lucic.  As I have been saying.

Re: Seeds Dropping

madman wrote:

Lucic-Baroni makes Stan Wawrinka seem like a stable player big_smile

Too many UE's from her, she really had the chance on the fourth round today but blew it.

Cornet vs Svitolina instead. Really great opportunity for Cornet. Svitolina had some tough battles already. But who knows the pressure might be too much for Cornet, after all she's mentally very unstable.

Yes, Lucic's UEs doubled Cornet's UEs, but Cornet's game played a major role in bouncing Mirijana. She did not panic at the first onslaught; she kept grinding. As well, she played a more strategic match than did Simona against Lucic. She mixed it up with slices, high topspin, angles, drop shots, and returns down the line. Essentially, she brought out the weakness of Mirijana's game and dulled her power.

Last edited by SAWLEO (May. 29, 2015 11:35am)

Re: Seeds Dropping

Suarez-Navarro already out. It's a little bit of a surprise for me, I didn't expect Pennetta to play this well on clay.



SAWLEO wrote:
madman wrote:

Lucic-Baroni makes Stan Wawrinka seem like a stable player big_smile

Too many UE's from her, she really had the chance on the fourth round today but blew it.

Cornet vs Svitolina instead. Really great opportunity for Cornet. Svitolina had some tough battles already. But who knows the pressure might be too much for Cornet, after all she's mentally very unstable.

Yes, Lucic's UEs doubled Cornet's UEs, but Cornet's game played a major role in bouncing Mirijana. She did not panic at the first onslaught; she kept grinding. As well, she played a more strategic match than did Simona against Lucic. She mixed it up with slices, high topspin, angles, drop shots, and returns down the line. Essentially, she brought out the weakness of Mirijana's game and dulled her power.

Thats the weakness Halep has, she's vulnerable against big hitters. Cornet isn't, totally different kind of player. Wozniacki has the same akilles heel, vulnerable against big hitters. Doesn't really matter what their ranking is as long as they are good players that can play with a lot of power. Actually both was sent packing by players they apparently have a lot of problems with, they both have a lot of work to do if they want to stay in the top.

Last edited by madman (May. 29, 2015 2:45pm)

Re: Seeds Dropping

Arvis wrote:

It's really not that Lucic is "unstable".  She really really isn't.  She's what we call in tennis terms "not very good".  Her win over Halep was because Halep was not playing very well.  It was a massive upset, and Normal Halep would crush Lucic.  As I have been saying.

I strongly disagree. Halep didn't play bad. She was not at her best but definitely didn't play bad.

Lucic-Baroni has a really high level, unfortunately she can't maintain it for too long. Saying that "she isn't good" is ludicrous. It's the consistency that is her problem, which is completely natural for a player with a career and personal life as she's had.

Yes, "normally" Halep would crush Lucic-Baroni, thats why she lost her two matches against her in straight sets. I think you have a bad sense of what "normal" is.

lol

Massive upset, maybe for blind people...

Last edited by madman (May. 29, 2015 2:53pm)

Re: Seeds Dropping

Some are calling the matches with Flavia/Carla and Garbine/Kerber upsets. I am not quite in that lane.

Flavia has basically owned Carla. Carla gets shine because of some of her recent performances, and I, in fact, expected her to breakout two years, ago. Still, I am convinced she has a ways to go to consistently ring down wins against some of the seasoned players, especially those who have owned her. Plus, Flavia stepped up her performances over the the past year and a half. She has put in some decent performances.

Garbine has a knack for slaying queens. I remember when she took out Serena. So, this is no surprise that she took down Kerber. Add to that the fact that Kerber can be so lack luster, and you have a recipe for bouncing her out of a tournament. I might be too hard on Kerber; I have never been impressed with her despite her record.

Last edited by SAWLEO (May. 29, 2015 3:56pm)