Topic: Federer's Fan

Just read an article about a fan running onto Chatrier after Federer won, and asked him for a picture. Yes, onto the court. Apparently, this wasn't the first time this happened to Fed (it also happened in practice a few days earlier), and both times French security was slow to respond. Federer blasted the tournament directors for the lack of security. I totally agree. A fan should not be able to make it to a player at any event, much less a grand slam. Makes me think of Seles.

2019 RG Yoda Cup Co-Champion
2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

Re: Federer's Fan

Yeah, I read about this as well.  French Open security is notoriously bad.  Either that or the French crowd are particularly unruly.

Didn't this happen to Federer in the match against Söderling back in 2009 or 2010 as well? Some crazy guy with a cape...

Last edited by HundredTennisStats (May. 25, 2015 1:49am)

Yes, something like that. I wonder which of the current players would fight the fan that comes on court. Gulbis? Haas?

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Arvis wrote:

Yeah, I read about this as well.  French Open security is notoriously bad.  Either that or the French crowd are particularly unruly.

I think its both. No other GS tourney fans have the gall to come on court. I cant imagine this happening at Melbourne or Wimbledon. If fit happened at NY, then maybe it isnt a fan after all. Also, if it happened at NY the whole security staff would have been fired.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Wimbledonut wrote:

Yes, something like that. I wonder which of the current players would fight the fan that comes on court. Gulbis? Haas?

Stepanek, the changeover headbutter.  Maybe Karlovic, too, because by the time  he notices the fan - way down there - he might be so startled that he'll swat them as a reflex, like a fly. 

I'm not defending this running-onto-the-court thing BUT, people ALWAYS bring up the Seles incident every time a fan runs out onto a grand slam tennis court, when that is the only time something violent has happened to a player out of all of the instances of someone running onto the court.

Tommy, very good point about the Seles incident. Violence hasn't happened before or since then. And there have been plenty of fans who have run onto the court.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Guys don't forget the flares that went off when Nadal and Ferrer was on the court at the FO! I think it was last year not sure.  Also players that would fight a fan I would say Rosol and good old hot head Marat Safin.

Dtrain wrote:

Guys don't forget the flares that went off when Nadal and Ferrer was on the court at the FO! I think it was last year not sure.  Also players that would fight a fan I would say Rosol and good old hot head Marat Safin.

Flares was in 2013 but they went of in a different court (I was there but it wasn't me). Also, some demonstrants tried to enter court but I think security took them just before they entered.

It's hard to be angry with fans that do it with style wink
https://poderesunidosstudio.files.wordp … ker_01.jpg

HundredTennisStats wrote:
Dtrain wrote:

Flares was in 2013 but they went of in a different court (I was there but it wasn't me). Also, some demonstrants tried to enter court but I think security took them just before they entered.

oh ok HTS sure it wasn't you wink

Someone in one of the leagues used to have a picture of the woman who stormed the court, nude, at Wimbledon.  I wonder if that is on youtube.......

If you find it, is that going to be your new avatar, Tommy?

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

No Russ, lol.  You're warm, but I'll be going in a slightly different direction for my next picture.

I don't know if any pro player would fight a "fan" jumping in but I would definitely do it if I were pro. I really hate when "fans" jump in during events.

HundredTennisStats wrote:

Didn't this happen to Federer in the match against Söderling back in 2009 or 2010 as well? Some crazy guy with a cape...

Yes, "Jimmy Jump" jumped in during 2009's final.

Didn't know he had a name. Good to know.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru