Re: Which players do you see having a standout year in 2015?

Tomas has to believe he can beat Rafa first, if his self belief is there I think he can win.

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

It'll be a fun match if Tomas rises to the challenge.  If he brings the right mindset,  we could be in for a thriller!

Sure wish I could have seen the demolition, but it was a little late and I had to get up at 5:30am.  I am proud of Tomas, but I'll be even more impressed if he can do that to Andy.

-Arvis

Well, self-belief was there alright!

I get the feeling Tomas really wants this one, having watched Stan and Marin win slams last year. But Andy and Novak will also be hungry for the AO, for other reasons. Interesting...

Yoda Cups: Roland Garros 15, 18, 20; Wimbledon 17; US Open 20; Yoda Guru 2021
Obi Wan Master 16, 17 Lord Vader 15
Han Solo Captain 19
Player of the Year 17

Berdych simply will not get past Murray.  Not gonna happen.  Doesn't matter how much he believes.

-Arvis

Kyrgios looks very promising, I'm really impressed by his performances, I've only seen him in two tournaments, Wimbledon and now in AO. I heard him say that he didn't know if he was going to play this tournament two weeks ago or not. I don't know why, hopefully he can be free from injuries and if so he can have a great year. It's important for him to get some points so he can get a seeding in the slams, he deserves to be seeded.

Arvis wrote:

Berdych simply will not get past Murray.  Not gonna happen.  Doesn't matter how much he believes.

-Arvis

Well, actually Berdych has 6-4 in matches against Murray so he really doesn't need to believe anything extra. It's like any match for him since he has a positive head-to-head against him.

But yes, Murray looks really strong now, so I also think we'll see him in the final. It looks like he's back where he was before he had the surgery now. Last year was a huge disappointment but his game definitely looks sharper right now.

Berdych's game looks like it use to when he's in good shape, it was really a poor performance by Nadal. But it was expected, I actually believed he would bounce out against Anderson. Anyway I think it can be a good match and considering their head-to-head Berdych does certainly not have a mental disadvantage beforehand.

Last edited by madman (Jan. 27, 2015 4:34pm)

While Berdych definitely has the momentum and the belief going into the Murray match,  he is definitely the underdog.  In addition,  Berdych, much like anyone not named Wawrinka or Delpotro, has built a reputation for not being able to string back to back wins against the Big Four.  For example, at 2010 Wimbledon, Berdych performed well to defeat Djokovic in the semis, but fell flat against Rafa in the final.  Or the 2012 US Open, where he looked very dangerous after beating Federer in the quarters. Yet when he went up against Murray in the semis, he couldn't close out his big opportunities and lost in four sets. And while alot of other dark horses have this issue, it doesn't change the fact that history has proven that Berdych has trouble putting together multiple big wins over the Big Four.

Actually at that 2010 Wimbledon he beat Fed in the quarters right before beating Novak in the semis. THEN he choked against Rafael in the final.

True dat... So he'll beat Murray,  then choks against Djoker, Wawrinka, or maybe Nishikori in the final...

Nishikori is out now but Berdych would never choke against him in a grand slam final. If they'll ever meet in one Berdych will win that one. He has much more experience than Nishikori.

Speaking of Nishikori, his performance against Wawrinka was really poor. I think they played the best grand slam match in US Open last year but this match was a disappointment.

Yeah, I have to agree... Nish looked off, and Waws looked pumped... wonder if he can go all the way...?

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

I think we're in for another epic 5 setter between Djokovic and Wawrinka.

I think Wawrinka is probably the most entertaining player when he plays his best tennis. I actually expect the semis to be the best match of this championship, the last two years was unbelievable, I expect nothing less this time.

I have nothing against Murray, Nadal or Djokovic but I actually find many (not all) of their matches to be boring. I think it's more interesting to see a bigger difference in game style between two players. Thats why I think Fed/Djokovic or Stan/Djokovic is more entertaining to watch.

Definitely agree with you madman. the Stan vs Nole matches were respectively the best match of the '13 and '14 Aussie Open. Can't wait for it when they both play at their best level. But Stan will have to play incredible for at least four sets to get a chance. Playing three amazing sets against Novak usually doesn't give you the victory. ALLEZ STAN!!

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

This year I think the other semifinal, Murray/Berdych was the better one. Lots of unnecessary UE from both players today, especially for Stan, his game is risky but it was unfortunately too much UE's from his racket today.

I just hope he will do better at FO this year, which I think he will. He has many points to collect there, points that he lost today.

Stan plays really well on clay too. I believe he is #3 on clay after Rafa and Novak. Guys like Murray or Berdych arent as good as Stan on the red dirt

Adunar wrote:

Stan plays really well on clay too. I believe he is #3 on clay after Rafa and Novak. Guys like Murray or Berdych arent as good as Stan on the red dirt

Yes and Federer is maybe a bit old for clay now, unless he wins his matches very fast, which is much harder to do on clay.

I'd put Cilic and Ferrer (even if he's getting older now) up there also.

For Stan it would be important to not face Novak and Rafa in the QF because he will most likely have a lower seeding this time. It would be best to get Murray or Federer in the quarters and also not get Cilic or Ferrer in R16.

Last edited by madman (Jan. 30, 2015 2:53pm)

Yes he is now #9 but will son be in the top8.

What is very interestin is that Rafa will probably not get in the top2 before the French Open. This means we could have a Novak vs Rafa SF there. That would give a chance to the players in the other half like Stan or Fed potentially. Kr guys like Ferrer, Dimitrov.

What is very interestin is that Rafa will probably not get in the top2 before the French Open. This means we could have a Novak vs Rafa SF there. That would give a chance to the players in the other half like Stan or Fed potentially. Kr guys like Ferrer, Dimitrov.

Adunar wrote:

Hopefully Rafa and Novak will be seeded on opposite halfs. It was such a shame two years ago when they played in the semis. Sometimes I wish that some big tournaments like Roland Garros will bend the rules a little, sort of like what Wimbledon is doing, they have a separate ranking for grass only. Rafa should've been seeded as #1 or at least #2 in FO and he should be this year also, regardless of his ranking in my opinion.

Last edited by madman (Jan. 31, 2015 11:38am)

Rafa is going to be #3 or 4 after AO (depending on if Murray wins) with about 5700 pts, but he will be not much ahead of Kei - 500 points.

Rafa has 'some' points to defend this spring, but not a lot compared to what he is capable of...
Till April he is defending Rio (500 pts), Indian Wells (45), Miami (600), Monte Carlo (180), Barcelona (90) - for a total of 1415 pts (of a potential 4000 at those tournaments).  I think he should easily be able to get more than that this year in those tournaments.  Then he has Rome (600) and Madrid (1000).  It would be very surprising to me if he wasn't at least #3 in the rankings by Roland Garros...

But the question is if he will catch Federer by then??  Fed currently has 9245 pts (after AO).  Through April Fed has to defend Dubai (500), Indian Wells (600), Miami (180), Monte Carlo (600) - for a total of 1880, and I suspect he will come in significantly lower than that, especially if he doesn't play Monte Carlo... so maybe Fed will get 900-1000 pts during that time...  But then at Rome (10) and Madrid (0) everything he gains will be a plus... so maybe overall, Fed stays around 9400 points by Roland Garros...

So Nadal can't catch Fed even if he wins every single tournament he entered last year...  it would take him to about 8700 points... so that means that Nadal will most likely be seeded #3 at RG... which could make for a very interesting draw

Last edited by dwightcharles (Jan. 31, 2015 4:22pm)

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

dwightcharles wrote:

Rafa is going to be #3 or 4 after AO (depending on if Murray wins) with about 5700 pts, but he will be not much ahead of Kei - 500 points.

Rafa has 'some' points to defend this spring, but not a lot compared to what he is capable of...
Till April he is defending Rio (500 pts), Indian Wells (45), Miami (600), Monte Carlo (180), Barcelona (90) - for a total of 1415 pts (of a potential 4000 at those tournaments).  I think he should easily be able to get more than that this year in those tournaments.  Then he has Rome (600) and Madrid (1000).  It would be very surprising to me if he wasn't at least #3 in the rankings by Roland Garros...

But the question is if he will catch Federer by then??  Fed currently has 9245 pts (after AO).  Through April Fed has to defend Dubai (500), Indian Wells (600), Miami (180), Monte Carlo (600) - for a total of 1880, and I suspect he will come in significantly lower than that, especially if he doesn't play Monte Carlo... so maybe Fed will get 900-1000 pts during that time...  But then at Rome (10) and Madrid (0) everything he gains will be a plus... so maybe overall, Fed stays around 9400 points by Roland Garros...

So Nadal can't catch Fed even if he wins every single tournament he entered last year...  it would take him to about 8700 points... so that means that Nadal will most likely be seeded #3 at RG... which could make for a very interesting draw

What you call interesting I call a disaster. Nadal should be seeded at least #2 in Roland Garros regardless of his ranking.

If you've won a tournament of that dignity nine times in 10 attempts you have deserved to be seeded at least as #2 as a defending champion no matter what your ranking is.

The 2013 tournament was a big failure, the semis between Novak and Rafa should've been the final and nothing less. Simple as that.

The ranking system in tennis is good but it's not perfect and this is a good example where an exemption should be applied.

With all that said I'm not sure Djokovic will reach the final even if he doesn't need to face Nadal. He's been in many finals and if you include the semis of 2013 (which basically was the final) he's been really good in FO the last years and everything has an end. He might win FO, he might even do it this year or he might do it in the future instead. There's still many good players that could knock him out I think. Nadal is more immune to upsets in FO as long as he's fit.

Last edited by madman (Jan. 31, 2015 6:08pm)

I'm guessing 'disaster' means you are a Nadal fan??  You'll definitely have some friends here in the forums.

I'm more of a Murray fan, and pretty neutral on Nadal... But I agree, I think Nadal SHOULD be seeded #1 for the tournament.  I guarantee that the bookies will have him as their #1 pick, and if people using real money can see it, then it's probably pretty close to the truth.  Nadal WILL be the favourite! (unless he's injured or something...)

It's a tough call.  I would love to see Roland Garros do their own seeding with a formula that included past results and performance on clay.  Then for sure, Nadal would be seeded #1 which he deserves... but the reason it is not so, is due to an acrimonious chapter of tennis history...

Back in the 60's and 70's there was an increasingly tense relationship between the players vs. the ITF and the grand slams.  Whether or not players could travel internationally or even participate in grand slams was determined by their national associations.  The national associations together formed the ITF.

Every tournament used to make their own seedings because there were no official international rankings.  After 1968 when tennis went 'open' to professionals and players started to make money, there was increasing competition between the tournaments to get the best players.  The tournaments formed tours together to guarantee they would get the best players.  Now we have just the one main tour - the ATP, but at the time there were several.

The Yugoslav player, Nikki Pilic had a disagreement with his national association and they banned him from playing international tournaments.  The other players thought this was wrong... they thought Pilic should be allowed to make a living on the tour if he was skilled enough to do so, regardless of what his national association thought. (Pilic was probably about a top 20-30 player.)   So the players united and formed a union.  This became the ATP. 

Because Pilic was not allowed to play Wimbledon in 1973, the ATP players boycotted Wimbledon en masse.  This scared the ITF and the tournaments because they realized that the players held some real power.  (It was uncertain then how important the GS events would be in the new 'open' world - which is why there were so many absences from some of the GS in those years).

What came out of it all was a stronger ATP; a new relationship between the slams, the ITF, and the players; and the ranking system.  The players insisted that computer rankings be used to determine seedings at tournaments.  This was the only fair system they said, and it didn't allow tournaments to play favourites or 'punish' certain players if they felt like it.  It made the seedings objective.

This is why rankings are used to determine seedings at all tournaments.  The only exception was Wimbledon.  Somehow Wimbledon finagled a deal to retain some discretion in assigning the rankings, although this has become a formula that they make public - again the idea is transparency and fairness...

So while I think it would be great if Nadal were seeded #1 at the French (like the bookies and everyone agree he deserves), I also understand why that doesn't happen.  It's a transparency thing and a desire by the players for fairness.

Last edited by dwightcharles (Feb. 3, 2015 5:08pm)

Yes rankings exist for a reason. And the reason is for entering tournaments and seeding. Rankings dont lie, they are only numbers. And seeding make the tournament interesting IMO. It gives chances to good and regular players. It is the only fair way to do it. Though exceptions could be made. But even Wimbledon has a computer way to make their seedings which is well established.

dwightcharles wrote:

I'm guessing 'disaster' means you are a Nadal fan??  You'll definitely have some friends here in the forums.

No I'm not. Only players I like in the top are Federer, Wawrinka, Nishikori and Raonic. And Delpo of course.

Rankings aren't perfect, as I said. It's good but not perfect. Everyone knows that Rafa deserves to be seeded #1 or #2 at Roland Garros, it doesn't matter if a player like Murray who have never won a single title on clay (not even on 250-level) have scraped together more points at HC and grass, he doesn't deserve to be seeded higher than Nadal at Roland Garros, not until he starts to beat him on clay, like Djokovic has done.

Djokovic vs Nadal in Roland Garros should be in the final and nothing else. If they don't make it to the final, then fine but they should be seeded like that. As I said 2013 tournament was a failure, a disaster I could say. The final should've been Djo/Nad.

Last edited by madman (Feb. 3, 2015 5:40am)