Topic: Which players do you see having a standout year in 2015?

Which players do you see having a standout year in 2015?

For me personally, I believe that some young guys will stand out as well as some old ones. I think both Kyrgios and Kokkinakis will have a good year, but I also predict Federer to regain #1. I will just post a few predictions below.

Federer - Regain World #1, win at least 1 slam.
Kyrgios - Move into top 25, Strong run at AO, win at least a 250 tournament.
Nishikori - Win a masters 1000.
Raonic - Move into the top 5, Strong run at AO.
Kokkinakis - Move into top 50, at least make 1 final.
Dimitrov - Move into top 8, at least make a final of a masters 1000. (Still waiting for a big result)
Tsonga - Regain a good form, make it to at least 1 GS semi-final.
Gasquet - Move back into the top 15, win a couple 250's or 500's.

Hopefully some of these predictions are correct, I would love to see some big surprises this year (i.e. Maybe one of the young Aussies make a final of a GS.) Do you guys see anything happening in particular?

Re: Which players do you see having a standout year in 2015?

I've already predicted Nishikori will have a Calendar Grand Slam this year.  I'll think of something new after that doesn't happen in Australia.

Last edited by Arvis (Jan. 8, 2015 4:56pm)

Honestly, I wouldn't put past him. I could at least see him winning a hard court slam like the AO.

SubaruMG wrote:

Which players do you see having a standout year in 2015?

For me personally, I believe that some young guys will stand out as well as some old ones. I think both Kyrgios and Kokkinakis will have a good year, but I also predict Federer to regain #1. I will just post a few predictions below.

Federer - Regain World #1, win at least 1 slam.
Kyrgios - Move into top 25, Strong run at AO, win at least a 250 tournament.
Nishikori - Win a masters 1000.
Raonic - Move into the top 5, Strong run at AO.
Kokkinakis - Move into top 50, at least make 1 final.
Dimitrov - Move into top 8, at least make a final of a masters 1000. (Still waiting for a big result)
Tsonga - Regain a good form, make it to at least 1 GS semi-final.
Gasquet - Move back into the top 15, win a couple 250's or 500's.

Hopefully some of these predictions are correct, I would love to see some big surprises this year (i.e. Maybe one of the young Aussies make a final of a GS.) Do you guys see anything happening in particular?

Interesting thoughts there SMG, being a Fed fan I especially like your prediction that Roger will regain No.1 status and win a GS this year, I would love to see both those things happen in 2015 but I have a feeling that only one might eventuate.

Kyrgios - Hmmm....my Tono jury is still out on Kyrgios so I'm not sure I agree with you there SMG, he will give the Aussie's something to cheer for in Melbourne if he catches fire though, watch out for Nick on the quicker courts I reckon, maybe he can grab his first ATP title on a faster court.
Nishikori - Be good to see him win a GS but the hot weather in Melbourne might zap his energy maybe.
Raonic - If he can rely on more than his thunderbolt serve I would have to agree with you.
Kokkanakis - Top 50 maybe but I'm not convinced he will win a 250 just yet, maybe next year.
Dimitrov - Agree with you here, this should be the year Grigor starts to make strides, surely!!
Tsonga - I have a feeling Jo-Willy is not going to have a good year, I predict he will fall out of the Top 20 but hopefully not for too long, it's started badly with an injury. hmm
Gasquet - He is certainly good enough to win tournaments, I'm guessing he wins no more than 1 or 2 in 2015.

Juan Martin Del Potro - I would like to see Delpo regain good health and storm onto the tour again in 2015, it might take JMDP a few months but hopefully he hits form by the time the Miami Masters rolls around.
Vasek Pospisil - I think the young Canuck might bounce back and have a good year in 2015, I have no idea why it's just a feeling I have...LOL
Borna Coric - I predict this young guy will win his first ATP title in 2015, probably a 250 series event.

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

I am right there with you on DelPo. When he is healthy, he is such a strong force on the tour. I wouldn't mind seing him win a couple more slams if he could play more than one season without an injury.

Pospisil - I have been following him since the beginning of 2014 and I feel he is a very solid player. I could definitely see him break through.

A few others that I didn't mention:
Goffin - I was really impressed by how well he played in the later half of 2014. I would love to see him push for the top 15.
Murray - I think Murray has a good chance of regaining his form. After a somewhat disappointing 2014, I only see improvement.

I am going to go out on a limb here, and I mean really far out. I am predicting RF to win at least 2 slams this year, one of them being his 2nd FO. He is healthy, fit and I think he is going to rack up another 70 wins this year.

Wow, that's a HUGE call SMG!!.....I would be shocked but pleasantly surprised to see Fed win RG again, however I ain't gonna put myself out on a limb though and predict that. wink

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

fingers crossed! (-:

Federer Calendar Slam 2015

this ^

Interesting thoughts... here are mine:

Federer: I also think he will come back to #1 but he has to do this at Wimbledon at the latest because he has many points to defend compared to Novak after this. I also think he will win one slam, two at the most. but definitely NOT the French Open, sorry. One or two MS.
Djokovic: Solid year for sure, at least one GS title. He can win any of them! Most likely year-end #1 once again. Several MS 1000.
Rafa: Again another half season. Not sure it will be enough to gain a 10th FO title though. Probably top5, but not in the top3. One MS 1000, two max. Probably at least one GS Semifinal.
Murray: Back to his best, maybe a GS but not sure. One or two Masters 1000 for him. Top 5 finish for sure. good results at the slams.
Wawrinka: most likely a top10 finish, at least on GS SF. Two-three tournaments but 250 or 500.
Nishikori: another great season, incredible if he can play injury-free all year, which I doubt. Most likely his first MS title, a couple 500 and one GS Semifinal, maybe a final. He can definitely win a major.
Raonic: definitely his biggest season, first GS final and maybe a MS. Can win a major.
Dimitrov: great season, at least on GS SF, maybe more. Probably his first MS final. Expect big things from him.
Berdych: I thought he would slowly drop in the rankings but he made a good choice with a new coaching team. He will reach at least two GS QF, probably a SF.
Ferrer: don't reall see more than a GS QF. But surely a consistant season, top15 or sure, maybe top10.
Cilic: drooooooopping down the rankings. Sorry, don't see him stay any longer in the top10.
Tsonga: poor season, gets out of top20.
Gasquet: back to a good level, top15
Gulbis: not sure he will confirm his great 2014 season. Maybe one tournament win but no more.
DelPo: slow comeback, back to a decent level during the summer. Top20 finish but no big flash.
Kyrgios: confirmation season, some very good results, some very bad. Should be enough to get into the top30.
Goffin: will continue his rankings climbing. Top20 fore sure, probably top15
RBA: the stagnation
Lopez: falls down. Very deep.
Hewitt: retirement
Simon: still the same, around the 20th spot.

Last edited by Adunar (Jan. 9, 2015 1:19pm)

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

I am right there with you for cilic. I don't see him doing anything great, maybe a 250 or a 500. I like the gs final prediction for raonic

Djokovic YE#1
Murray back contesting for slams
Possible new slam winners Nishikori, Berdych
Not so optimistic about Roger Federer
Dimitrov into Top 10
Watch out for Gulbis, Klizan, Johnson, Kyrgios, Coric
French senior generation not done yet - first title for Julien???

Yoda Cups: Roland Garros 15, 18, 20; Wimbledon 17; US Open 20; Yoda Guru 2021
Obi Wan Master 16, 17 Lord Vader 15
Han Solo Captain 19
Player of the Year 17

I would love to see an American actually do something, I'm really pulling for both Johnson and sock

I've made extensive predictions on my blog... check it out
http://tennisgut.blogspot.ca/2014/12/at … casts.html

Last edited by dwightcharles (Jan. 9, 2015 3:16pm)

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

I think Rafa is the dominant force in the game when he's healthy.
So the big question is if he will stay healthy... I think probably not for the whole year, but I do think he will win another French title... his obsessive behaviour should keep him healthy that long...

Federer has a chance at Wimbledon, but I think it's going to be Novak again there.

Murray doesn't have that killer desire anymore and I think he's made some odd coaching choices.

I think Berdych could have a big year.

Nishikori can finish #1 if he stays healthy... a slam this year would be no surprise

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

Hum your graph of the average age  slam winners is a bit obsolete. Tennis has changed A LOT over the past decade and the peak of a career is now 27-28. Players start to ge really good at 22-23, enter top10 at 24. They can start winning GS at 25. Really, players are getting older. We see so many players having their pick in what used to be the late part of a career: Fish, Tipsarevic, Wawrinka. Even Berdych estblished himself in the top10 at 25 and is now 28. Ferrer as well. Federer is still playing at an insane level.. Agassie had to take meds to just play at that age. Cilic just made his biggest breakthrough at 26. So I don't believe these stats are that reliable right now. But I like your graphs anyway, love stats and graphs, you know it wink

But what could be interesting is the age at which players reached their top rankings.. but young #1 definitely screw these stats.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

SubaruMG wrote:

I would love to see an American actually do something, I'm really pulling for both Johnson and sock

One can only hope!  I still watch the big events, but I followed tennis fairly closely when Andy Roddick and James Blake were consistently in the mix at big events.  My interest has dwindled a little in recent years because I'm not really a big fan of Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic.  They beat up on Andy Roddick enough that I was used to cheering against them. Haha.  I've always been fond of Murray though, and I hope he returns to form in 2015.

I'm excited about the rise of Dimitrov, Raonic, and Nishikori!  That's exciting for tennis to get some new fresh faces in the mix, and if an American or two can step up in the next few years, it will make things even more exciting for me.  Maybe an American will rise in 2015, but I'm guessing we'll be waiting another couple years before anyone contends on a frequent basis.

Edit: dwightcharles, I enjoyed reading your 2014 review/2015 preview.  Great stuff!

Last edited by CThrash13 (Jan. 9, 2015 4:02pm)

Welcome, Mr Thrash, and nice avatar. tongue

I do believe that Dimitrov, Raonic, and Nishikori (along with Dominic Thiem) will be the next Big 4.

-Arvis

Adunar wrote:

Hum your graph of the average age  slam winners is a bit obsolete. Tennis has changed A LOT over the past decade and the peak of a career is now 27-28. Players start to ge really good at 22-23, enter top10 at 24. They can start winning GS at 25. Really, players are getting older. We see so many players having their pick in what used to be the late part of a career: Fish, Tipsarevic, Wawrinka. Even Berdych estblished himself in the top10 at 25 and is now 28. Ferrer as well. Federer is still playing at an insane level.. Agassie had to take meds to just play at that age. Cilic just made his biggest breakthrough at 26. So I don't believe these stats are that reliable right now. But I like your graphs anyway, love stats and graphs, you know it wink

But what could be interesting is the age at which players reached their top rankings.. but young #1 definitely screw these stats.

I'm not convinced the age graph is obsolete (not yet anyway!)  I think we could just be at the end of a cycle.  Ages of top players have varied a lot over the years.  Five or six years ago, Sharko was saying the top 10 atp was the youngest ever.  I think the stats are holding true. 

My much more involved source spreadsheet shows that average age of first yearend top 10 increases as less career slam titles are won.

Career slam titles - Age of 1st yearend top 10
more than 5 - age 19.1
1 to 5 - age 21.1
0 slams - age 22.9

It basically takes 2 years longer to get near the top between each grouping

Cilic and Wawrinka winning their first slams this year is not really atypical.  The ages of Berdych and Ferrer as non-slam winners is not atypical either (both entered top 10 around age 25)...

Looking back, Okker, Gottfried, Solomon, GMayer were all 24 when entering yearend top 10, Dibbs and Curren were 25, Higueras was 26.

I think the message is that less brilliant players take longer to peak... but the numbers might go higher in the coming years... I'll keep tracking them smile

Enjoyed reading the blog, Charles! Really interesting stats there.
Did you forget Delpo's US win in the opening paragraph though?

Has everyone heard the AO have upped their prize money for this year? Extra pressure on us for FTT/Vader now!

Han Solo Captain 19
Player of the Year 17

TennisElbow wrote:

Enjoyed reading the blog, Charles! Really interesting stats there.
Did you forget Delpo's US win in the opening paragraph though?

Has everyone heard the AO have upped their prize money for this year? Extra pressure on us for FTT/Vader now!

Don't think I forgot Delpo... non-big-4 slam finalists in 2009 were Soderling, Roddick, and Delpo... Delpo and Wawrinka were the only non-big-4 in 9.5 years to take a slam final, but I believe I said slam final without a big-4 and Fed was in the 2009 US final...

David Goffin - Will be interesting to see what he can do this year, he's started to win a lot of matches during last 6 months. He might break the top-10 this year if he can stay healthy and fit. He has the potential.

Viktor Troicki - Looks like he's making a really solid comeback since the suspension. The fact is that right before he got suspended he was actually on his way back to the same form he had when he had his highest ranking a couple of years ago. So he might do really good this season.

And in the top-10...

Grigor Dimitrov - This guy is a bit of a mystery to me, he has all the talent but it's just something that doesn't feel right about him. Tactically he has a lot of maturing to do. He wins a lot of matches but he can play so close matches with players that really are much worse than him, he often wins those tight matches but this is both good and bad. It's good that he wins but it's a bad sign that he puts himself in such positions in a lot of his matches, he must learn how to win easier against lower ranked players.

Kei Nishikori - He might win a slam this year, I would not be surprised if he did.

Milos Raonic - I think he's a little bit too limited as a player to win a slam when the top looks like it does right now. I think semifinal is his limit at this point in time. It can definitely change when Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are getting older and quit but I don't think he will be the guy who dethrones them.

Only one prediction: Superstar Czech Berdych will win a slam! He made serious changes to his team, and he seems ready.

dwightcharles wrote:

Don't think I forgot Delpo... non-big-4 slam finalists in 2009 were Soderling, Roddick, and Delpo... Delpo and Wawrinka were the only non-big-4 in 9.5 years to take a slam final, but I believe I said slam final without a big-4 and Fed was in the 2009 US final...

Right, gotcha. Looks like those big 4 are at it again at the AO - incredible record.

Han Solo Captain 19
Player of the Year 17

ElToroRafa7848 wrote:

Only one prediction: Superstar Czech Berdych will win a slam! He made serious changes to his team, and he seems ready.

I half agree. Surely his match against Nadal will tell us a lot.

Han Solo Captain 19
Player of the Year 17