Re: Tennis Draw Challenge - Results & Discussion

Got ya...here's a link to that information...

http://www.grandslamfantasytennis.com/f … -champion/

16 Wimby 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Murreee wrote:

Thanks Milo but I understand they are based on Star Wars Theme - My question is how do you win them

Like: 15 Naboo Cup - Is that the overall championship from 2015 jedi masters on TDC or 14 Lord Vader RU - Is that runner up from 2014 TDC or are they from GSFT yearly championships...

I think 2016 Wimby would be the overall championship from 2016 wimbledon in the GSFT league... Just looking for clarification on how it all works - Thanks

Got ya...here's a link to that information...

http://www.grandslamfantasytennis.com/f … -champion/

Milo - BHP  big_smile

Last edited by Milo (Aug. 30, 2017 1:40pm)

16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid

There is an error in the second round, Lopez won, not Verdasco.

Yep, it will be fixed tenedab.

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

It's been an excellent prediction to pick Sloan Stephens for your team, BHP. Nicely done.

Yep, excellent performance BHP, back in the hunt for Padme

2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup
2013 Winner of Fantasy Tennis Tour

Visionary!

Another piece of the site has fallen off.  STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY IS AT 20%!!  A FULL DATABASE BREACH IS IMMINENT, CAPTAIN!

TennisElbow wrote:

Yep, excellent performance BHP, back in the hunt for Padme

Yes indeed BHP, very nice work, just goes to show that one pick could rule them all in Padme, I'm hoping for one more Sloaner to round off my season. wink

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Thanks! Sloane a GS champ...Wow.

16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid

Great win in WTA Beijing for spotec!  He had Halep as runner-up and that got him the win. smile

However, it's not enough to dethrone Edu as WTA 1000 champ!  Spotec does come in 3rd place for 2017, 2 point behind second place Tono.  Really impressive!

I finished an incredible 13th, btw.  I think I deserve a participation trophy.  I was only 144 points off the leader.

In Shanghai, everyone but me has either Roger or Rafa picked as winner.  I went with Dimitrov because why the heck not?  What do I have to lose?  I'm 12th in both R2D2 and Overall.

A couple people have different runners-up, though:
Drivers - Delpo
Aiur - Dimitrov
Tenedab - Kyrgios
Arvis & HTS - Zverev

So those will be the key players to keep an eye on.  Del Potro won today, but dropped a set to Basilashvili.  He'll have to raise his game if he's going to get Drivers the win here.

Last edited by Arvis (Oct. 9, 2017 8:57am)

In Tianjin Sharapova and Kvitova are the popular picks for Winner, but HTS got brave and went with the adorable Peng Shuai.  Edu is the only one who was victimized by CarGar's withdrawal.

In Hong Kong, there's a little more variety than I would have expected.  Svitolina is the most popular pick, but not overwhelmingly so.  We've also got a few people backing Wozniacki, Venus, and even one for Vesnina (Drivers).

And lastly, in Linz, (which I didn't make a bracket or team for, for some reason) Strycova is the most popular pick.  Only 4 players chose other wins, all different:
Dtrain - Bencic (!?)
Adunar - Rybarikova
Murree - Puig (!?)
Tono - Kontaveit

Thanks for the summary Arvis. I enjoy these posts of yours.

I too enjoy these posts, Arvis!

That TE has got it going on, eh? He's First or Second in all 4 major TDC competitions.
First in Obi Wan - ATP brackets
Second in Rey - WTA brackets
Second in Vader - ATP teams
First in Padme - WTA teams
And he's actually in position to win them all!  Can you imagine?  A grand slam!! like the Rod Laver of Fantasy tennis!!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion

I wouldn't mind borrowing TE's time machine for more constructive purposes, though.

With Kyrgios (and Shaps) out of Shangahi, only 6 of us have all 4 SFists left in the bracket.

In Linz, Puig is out (unsurprisingly) and Tono also lost his Winner, Kontaveit due to unluckily drawing Buzarnescu in the 1st round.

Vesnina out in Hong Kong, too.  5 of us had her in the semis or better, but only Snolly and Drivers had her in the final.  Losing to Khumkhum is pretty inexcusable, home-field advantage notwithstanding.

I am not too surprised that Vesnina lost.

Wow.  With Delpo's win over Zverev, Drivers and Tono are on their way to having all 4 SFists in Shanghai.  I was crazy confident that Zverev would handle Delpo no problem.

It's apocalyptic in Hong Kong.  Basically everyone's brackets are completely dead.  Current leader Tenedab has Pavs in the semis, but if she makes the final, he'll be nipped by Spotec.

Meanwhile, Murree is having a pretty good tournament in Linz, but it'll all be for naught if Strycova wins.

dwightcharles wrote:

That TE has got it going on, eh? He's First or Second in all 4 major TDC competitions.
And he's actually in position to win them all!  Can you imagine?  A grand slam!! like the Rod Laver of Fantasy tennis!!

He just got lucky. wink

16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid

Huge win for Tono in Shanghai: correct winner, runner-up, and both losing Sfists.  This win helps Tono put pressure on current-leader TE for the ATP Overall win, as well as moving him into the #3 spot for R2D2 (ATP 1000).

In Hong Kong, Spotec stole the win from Tenedab thanks to his Pavlyuchenkova runner-up pick.  But nobody did very well here.

In Tianjin, Tono gets another bracket win, beating Adunar, BHP, and Dwight by 4 points, 32 - 28.

And the highest-scoring win of the week goes to HTS in Linz, with 37 points, squeaking past Edu by 1.

Tono now leads the WTA Overall by 11, while HTS has closed the gap on Tenedab for the Jar Jar Dartboard (WTA 280) lead.

Milo wrote:
dwightcharles wrote:

He just got lucky. wink

Thanks BHP wink Well, 4 2nd places now looks more likely. I can certainly imagine that, and it doesn't feel good. Tony needs to calm it down a bit, and let me win something!

2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year

So we actually have a decent variety of Winners picked in Moscow.  It's mostly shuffled between Kohlschreiber and PCB, but a few (Aiur, Spotec, Tono) picked Rublev to take it all, while Snolly was brave and went with Mannarino, which I think is a good idea, but the guy seems to struggle a bit in finals.
However, we have the issue of Murree: he put 3 Qualifiers plus Ramos in the semis, with Ramos losing.  So his Winner is Yuki Bhambri and his runner-up is Lukas Rosol.  I'm assuming he's having a lark before 2018 starts and he's committed to a whole year.

Over in Antwerp, Goffin is a HUGE favorite with us, with only 6 of us taking a different Winner.  Of those 6, 3 have Kyrgios, 2 have Tsonga, and Murree went with Shaps.
Schwartzman is also popular here, with only 4 of us picking him to lose before the semis.  However, only 1 of us (Arvis) picked him to win his SF match.
Besides Kyrgios/Goffin, Shapovalov is the player to really keep an eye on here.

And it's Dimitrov almost all the way in Stockholm.  Only Murree (Anderson) and Dwight (Delpo) have a different winner.
Despite that similarity, this tournament has some of the more unusual picks for the week.  Arvis has Leo Mayer in the semis, Tenedab has Chung, Dtrain has Sugita, and HTS has friggin' Elias Ymer of all people.  Tenedab has really upped the ante, though, because he not only has Walking Coin Flip Fognini on the other side, but Baghdatis in the finals!  I'm very interested to see where Ol' Tenny finishes in this one.

Now while the majority went with the obvious Sharapova in WTA Moscow, a few of us seem to think that she'll be worn out.  Oddly, though, the second-most popular Winner pick is Coco Vandeweghe, for reasons I don't completely understand.  It's an indoor tournament, but she retired with injury in her last match.  So that leaves 4 of us with completely unique Winner picks: HTS with Kasatkina, TE with Sevastova, Ol' Tenny with Goerges, and Arvis with Gavrilova.  So those are the 6 players to watch here.
A couple of us (including me) got hit bad by the Makarova loss (so much for home cooking), and Snolly had Babos in the semis.

And in our last tournament of the week, Luxembourg, Kerber is a massive favorite, which makes sense.  It's honestly a bit strange to see someone with her history playing this tiny tournament, but that's just the kind of year she's had.  Only 3 people went with a different Winner: Aiur with Kontaveit, Arvis with Buzarnescu, and Murree proves beyond doubt that he's not taking this seriously by picking Bouchard to win it all.
Sorana Cirstea's surprise early loss has impacted almost all of us, so only Snolly, Murree, Edu, and HTS still have all 4 SFists left.

Absolute Armageddon in the WTA tournaments.

Has there ever been a more unlikely Masters 1000 finalist than Krajinovic?

surely not

how well known was Janowicz when he made the final here?