Topic: Seeking Racquet Recommendations

I have playing with the same Dunlop racket since 1992. It's crazy, I know, but I have not been convinced that the newer racquets since then have offered significant enough advances in technology to justify a purchase. Furthermore, I'm not sure I prefer a lighter racquet and it seems like they are always moving in the direction of lighter racquets.

What newer racquet models are folks using and would you recommend them? I like a medium sized frame, but really not sure which models are leading the field right now, or whether it is worth the extra investment to buy a top of the line model vs. one more in the middle of the pack in terms of pricing. Seems like the playing field has leveled out a lot in recent years and most racquets offer similar features/benefits.  Thoughts?

Re: Seeking Racquet Recommendations

I'm looking for a similar sort of thing, however I like a racket with a heavy head, lightweight always feel fragile!
My favourite Wilson racket was broken whilst I was moving house (I was horrified!) and I would suggest them for a powerful racket.

However, I'm not sure if you are looking for a lightweight racket. I do think that getting a good priced racket of a good model is the best idea, otherwise down the line you may feel it in your racket but not feel so pleased about having to find a new one!!

You are right though, many provide the same sorts of things. I think it is personal preference and weather you prefer a heavy or lightweight racket.

NF

p.s. I'm new on this site so 'hi!' I'm a Nadal fan (the name makes it obvious!) but I'm also looking forward to watching Jankovic in the Australian Open!

I always used to purchase Head racquets, but I recently switched to a Babolat Pure Drive and I am extremely happy with it. It's light, and perhaps a bit advanced for my level of play, but I highly recommend.

it's hard to say what racquet is best suited for you since every person has their own specification in a racquet but i would say a babolat control or a head liquidmetal...both are light but i believe the size babo is larger than the head. so you would have to go test one out to get a feel for it.

about the buying the top of the line..i don't think it's necessary...the best racquet usually for a player is the one that he/she been playing for years with since it's comfortable and they prolly know how the racquet works soo doing topspin/flat shots/ serves and etc will come ezy...

i have both type of racquets and I LOVE the liquidmetal...it has perfect weight balance and the power and control you get from it is just awesome...

tenniswarehouse.com has a great demo program. You can demo up to 4 racquets at a time for a week, for the cost of shipping. It cost $11 for me to demo 4 racquets (in NorCal).

The Dunlop 4D series is pretty sweet. I tried the 4d 7hundred, which is an oversize. As the numbers go down, all the way to 4d 2hundred, the racquets are more geared towards expert players.

i switched to the babolat aeropro drive cortex (not the plus) which is the old nadal racquet, its just over 100 bones but has to be one of the most spin friendly racquets avaliable, get that it you like to crush the ball on the baseline

Last edited by harry4386 (Jan. 13, 2011 2:44pm)

I was a big fan of my Babolat pure drive until I started to get elbow pain. But it is a very fine racket for those with stronger elbows.

I have Head Youtek Radical MP. This is a very light racket, if you dont like to hit with your whole body, leave this. I'm satisfied with it, but since I can't say what to buy, I'll try to help what not to buy. Sometimes this racquet feels like you are hitting with a wooden stick. You need to do all the work to hit that shot, while other brands (e.g. Wilson) they are stiffer and help's you generate the power. But as far as I've heard all Head racquets are like this, except for the Extreme ones. Also, people say that for topspins and baseline strokes the best is Babolat. I hope I've been some help.

I've been playing with the Wilson Tempest Four. Good racquet for players looking for spin and control.

I'm looking for a new racquet, I used a prince but I still can't get a hang of it after a whole tennis season in school. I bit of a pusher but still a pretty strong player, also I'm pretty good as a all court and baseline not that it changes annything . I play doubles but prefer singles. I'm complameted most of the time for my serves but also for my low smash an such. I'm thinking about getting a babolat but not sure. Any ideas?

Last edited by Poseidon (Jan. 17, 2011 9:10am)

Poseidon wrote:

I'm looking for a new racquet, I used a prince but I still can't get a hang of it after a whole tennis season in school. I bit of a pusher but still a pretty strong player, also I'm pretty good as a all court and baseline not that it changes annything . I play doubles but prefer singles. I'm complameted most of the time for my serves but also for my low smash an such. I'm thinking about getting a babolat but not sure. Any ideas?

I've got a HEAD YouTek IG Speed MP 315 16x19 (Nole has the 18x12). It's great all-court and, apparently, has a d30 tech which stiffens (or vice versa) the racquet dpending on the shot you are taking. d30 or not, still a good racquet. 315g unstrung which is perfect for me. I like the YouTek range, if you want something a bit more head heavy, try the YouTek Radical line (Murray's one).

Now I look back on this post, though, I feel like I should join HEAD's adverising campaign... (strokes invisible beard)