Re: Welcome to GSFT!

Tha'ts a crazy idea Arvis which would give the match picks much more weight. I'm not for it, it's only a matter of difference. For example: 1st round loss is -16. It could be 0 and the first round win +32 as it won't make a difference.

So you could hide your proposition for a -8/+8 instead of 0/16 for a match pick prediction. Just a thought.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

I also am not for that as it is hard enough picking the right people most of the time as is. Everyone would just not make selections and beat the people who do.
Unless of course someone has a crystal ball And/or magic eight ball in that case I want in tongue

I just mean that a -8/+8 or whatever format for the Match Picks would give you a third choice to weigh: not picking.  You wouldn't gain points, but you also wouldn't lose them either.  So adding this third option to consider could make the game more cerebral, more strategic.
Choosing to simply not have an Unseeded Player on your team to avoid a -16 is basically never going to be a good option, so it isn't quite the same.

chuck_norris8 wrote:

I also am not for that as it is hard enough picking the right people most of the time as is. Everyone would just not make selections and beat the people who do.
Unless of course someone has a crystal ball And/or magic eight ball in that case I want in tongue

Chuck, even YOU got the majority of your Match Picks correct in this last tournament, so even if you picked every single Match, you would still come out on top of someone who declined to make any Picks at all.
Finding that balance of Picks you're "sure" of and Picks you think are "too risky" is the extra layer of strategy I am talking about.

But idk, I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about it.

-Arvis

Last edited by Arvis (Sep. 12, 2013 9:48am)

U S Open 2016

Caroline (ranked 51 here and 74 at WTA board) beat Svetlana (ranked 10). Are extra poinst awarded to the fantasy player who chose Caroline?

Nope.  Not yet, anyways.

Hey Friends,

I've been noticing declining participants in GSFT in each major, and I'm wondering what can be done to boost popularity of this site and of the fantasy tennis competition (besides prizes).  I know my dad and I really enjoy participating; makes the grand slams that much more enjoyable.  I'm not much of a computer person, but is there a way to make the design of the website more responsive, dynamic, polished, and organized?  <http://www.atpworldtour.com> for instance, is a great-looking website that, I'm sure, attracts a lot of web traffic.  Another idea would be to add statistics after picks have been made and the tournament is in progress ... such as how many participants picked certain players.  Just some thoughts.  Thanks for creating this website!

Hey cam please join us at the website we created. Www.tennisdrawchallenge.com. You can create brackets and teams for every ATP and WTA tournament. It's still in its infancy but a lot of fun so join us please. We do not run the Grand Slam fantasy tennis site but hopefully someone who does will read your post and take some action.

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Charles has been talking about a "new GSFT site" for... I don't know, a year or two now?  But we're dealing with a site run by volunteers, most likely, so we kinda just gotta take what we can get.