Topic: Welcome to GSFT!

Welcome to GrandSlamFantasyTennis.com, a new and exciting fantasy tennis site created by tennis fans for tennis fans. We created this site so that fans of the Grand Slams could compete to see who can predict the outcome of the tournament and key matches the best. Also, we wanted to create a fun environment where fans can discuss tennis, read a dynamic tennis blog, and share Grand Slam travel experiences and advice.

We encourage you to please let us know what you think about the site. We are currently in beta, and we expect there to be bugs or issues that we have not yet found, or ideas for improvements that we have not thought of. Please post any thoughts and ideas here in our help and support forum and we will be sure to discuss them with you and add the most promising ideas to our later releases.

Thank you very much for being a part of GSFT, and please share our site with anyone else you think would enjoy it.

Thanks,
The GSFT Team

Re: Welcome to GSFT!

how do you drag players onto your team

Hi Radj,

In order to create your team you need to go to this page after logging in:
http://www.grandslamfantasytennis.com/create-team/

You can get to this page by going to "My Home" and clicking the edit button next to "My Team", or you can hover your mouse over "My Home" and select "Edit My Team" from the dropdown menu.

Once you get to this page you will see a list of all male players. Simply drag the players you want on your team into the first box on the right. Your team of 8 can only have 5 players from the top 16 seeds, and at least 1 player must be unseeded. Drag two platers from your team into the "Finalists" box, and drag one player from the finalists box into the "Winner" box. Then, click on the "Women's" tab to select your female players in the same way.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Charles

Charles I can't edit my even after doing what you said.

Hi Prith9,

Welcome to GSFT! The next Grand Slam fantasy event is the Australian Open this January, and you will not be able to create a team until the draw sheet is released for that tournament - about 4 days before the tournament starts. We will send you a notification email at that time. So right now no one can edit their team until that time.

Thanks,
Charles

Hi Charles, I have a suggestion for a new fantasy gaming category you could add to GSFT. For the people who play all four grand slam tournaments in the year, there could be a side contest of your overall rank for the year.

Hi Davil - I totally agree, and we were going to try that for this year but did not get things set up in time. We will aim to have something like this for the beginning of 2011. Thanks!

Hey Charles, I could not get online to make my most recent match picks and I have my options set to choose the higher seed if no choice was made, but the system did not do that for me and "no selection" was made and no points awarded for both my men's and women's teams. Can ypu look into this for me? I should have been awarded winning points for Murray over Isner // Nadal iover Roddick // Novak over Roger // Nadal over Murray and on the Women's side - Stosur over Kerber // Stosur over Serena. These were the matches that the higher seed won, and I assumed the system would pick for me.

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

I found this in the Account Options, almost at the bottom of the page...

If you forget to select the winner of a match, would you like us to automatically select the higher seeded/ranked player for you?
Yes     No

I have had yes chosen since I joined the site but did not have to reply on it until now, and it has let me down big time!  Help Charles!

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16

I checked my Account Options and I've always had that option checked, too. However, since I've never missed making a pick, I don't know whether it works or not. However, I'm guessing we ALL have it checked. If so, Wolmas didn't get the benefit of it either.

I'm saying it definitely has never worked based on probability theory alone. You're the first one to realize that fact and complain. I didn't even know I had the option checked: I suspect most others are in my boat.  I wouldn't have known to complain and neither does the vast majority of players here IMO.

To be perfectly honest, I don't like the existence of the option at all.  I think you should have to make a pick while the picks are open, which is how I always thought it worked.

If there IS going to be an option to pick the higher seeded (or higher ranked) player automatically (ugh!!!), however, people need to be able to rely on it.  I'd rather see the option disappear completely, but that's just my opinion and I'm only one guy.

Still, consider this.  Only a fool or a genius -- or a person for whom it was the only way to catch up with the person(s) ahead of him -- would have taken Stosur over Serena in his match picks.  So only idiocy, genius or smart game play could get you there.  Oops!  Add another one: inadvertence. 

I don't mind being beaten in that situation by idiocy, genius or smart game play.  I very strenuously object to losing to inadvertence.

Last edited by Don (Sep. 12, 2011 2:09pm)

Charles aint helping couse he doesn't read forum posts for days,maybe weeks now.
I know about that option from the begining and have it on.But as Don I never missed to make a pick.What do you mean Don when you say:Option disappeare completely.That you want this option out or that someone who missed to make a pick should be expeld from the competition.I asume that you tought about this firs thing. smile

Last edited by Dragan (Sep. 12, 2011 2:33pm)

What I meant to suggest was that there should be no automatic picks period.  Make your pick while the picks are open, or get 0 points.

I used the example of Stosur v. Serena because Stosur was higher ranked.  If you don't make a pick and there is an automatic pick, it picks Stosur for you.  But for people who actually picked Stosur for real, they were all either geniuses or idiots or just good game players in a situation where they HAD to pick Stosur to have a chance.

In that situation, I personally have no problem losing to geniuses, idiots and good game players.  I DO object to losing to somebody who simply failed to make a pick -- and who therefore gets credit for picking a great huge upset just because the lower ranked player was the prohibitive favorite.  That is a very stupid result IMO.

Last edited by Don (Sep. 12, 2011 2:36pm)

I totally agree.

Last edited by Dragan (Sep. 12, 2011 2:59pm)

Don wrote:

I'm guessing we ALL have it checked. If so, Wolmas didn't get the benefit of it either.

I have "No" checked.  If I don't make my picks in time, I will suffer the consequences.  I will use the option in the future if I am either without power, or away from home without my laptop.

Hey backhandpass, sorry for the delay in responding. In the future please create a new help topic if you have a problem. Posting in the "Welcome to GSFT!" topic is not a good way to get your issue noticed.

This is a strange issue and seems isolated to your account. We are looking in to it though and we will get it solved. Very sorry about this.

Hi backhandpass - all fixed. You are now 3rd in the Yoda cup - not bad at all!

Thanks, have mixed feelings about my match points but was playing with in the rules.

True that.  Absolutely right and honest on both!

DaviLeConte wrote:

Hi Charles, I have a suggestion for a new fantasy gaming category you could add to GSFT. For the people who play all four grand slam tournaments in the year, there could be a side contest of your overall rank for the year.

Charles wrote:

Hi Davil - I totally agree, and we were going to try that for this year but did not get things set up in time. We will aim to have something like this for the beginning of 2011. Thanks!

Hey Charles....any progress on setting this up for 2013 then??

2021 - OG Champ, AO Yoda Cup, 2020 Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

I, too, would really like to see running totals for the year in men's, women's and overall. 

Also, I feel the biggest prize for each tourney should be for winning overall, but there is no prize for that whatsoever at present.

Apart from that, I have no suggestions for improvement to this great site at this time.

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Oct. 23, 2012 12:44pm)

Tony and Don, one of you may wants to send Charles a forum e-mail about this, because he rarely logs on during the off-seasons.

Why can't I pick anyone to be on my team?

~baydog125

I have a suggestion...
1.) there are no prizes, which means no compiteion for those prizes
2.) when I first started I had to do an e-mail thing, it was confusing at first, so maybe don't send a confermation email
3.) you need to have more picture options, if we want to change our picture you have to save one in your files then retrive it!
4.) if people want to start over and cancel all their progress then there should be a button you press that resets your progress to zero
5.) you need to update the whole site in general, this site was like 5 years ago! it's 2013!

No, you have several suggestions.  Some of them are stupid & insulting to the site administrator, whom some of us think is by far the best fantasy tennis site administrator on earth.

So there are those of us who think you are more or less an idiot.  I would be one of those.  Charles, our site administrator whom you disdain, will be mad at me for saying that to you, even though you richly deserve it.

So, what would you guys thinking of making an adjustment to Match Picks?  Probably stupid, but I was thinking this:  what if you LOST points for making an incorrect prediction, but still only got a Zero for declining to pick at all?  It might add another layer of strategy to the competition, having to think carefully about whether or not you're confident enough to gamble 16, 24, 32 points or whatever on one pick or another.

Or it might just make the whole thing needlessly complicated.  I don't know.  Just a crazy idea I had.

-Arvis