Topic: Women making the same money prize as Men in Grand Slams

Hey guys, I'd like to open here to discussion this subject that is very delicate.

My opinion: I don't think it's fair, you know! I'm not being sexist here, ok. I just think that, if men spend more time in court, they are more exposed to injuries, fatigue and etc. Ok I know that women doesn't have the same strength as men, but that doesn't matter in tennis, what it matters is physical conditioning, and in that men and women are the same. Let's look up to other sports for an instant: basketball, soccer, volley, marathon, swimming. If you think about it all this sports has the same TIME or DISTANCE for men and women, Why tennis has to be different?!?!
Are you saying that women can't play five set matches?!?! I TRULY BELIEVE THAT THEY CAN!!!

another thing: that rule of extreme heat, the one that you can ask for 10 minutes between the second and third set because of the heat, why it only applies to women and juveniles?!? that should be a right for men too...

Please feel open to discuss it...

2018: Obi Wan, Rey Saber, R2D2 Crown, C3PO Trophy, Most correct picks Award, Year End #2.
2017: BB-8 Cup, Year End #4.
2016: Padme Cup, Roland Garros Yoda Cup, Leia Tiara, Trophy Case Award, Rey Saber runner up, Year End #3.
2015: Lando Calrissian's Ring, GQ "The Green Anackin".

Re: Women making the same money prize as Men in Grand Slams

You really know how to open a can of worms, Ed!   ;-D

First, as a practical matter, the unfairness you complain of is real & it is NOT going to change.  I remember quite well the days when men were paid more in tennis than women (and it wasn't much money, either) & I remember the campaign on the part of the women, led by Billie Jean King, for equal pay.  Those who made a similar argument to the one you just raised were in fact accused of being chauvinists, sexists & the like, which was a pretty effective way of shutting them up, eventually.

The fact that the men play 5 sets in majors (together with the overwhelming importance of results in the majors) has caused male tennis players (the ones good enough to have really good teams working with them, anyway) to become among the most well-conditioned athletes in the world.  Most of the women are obviously not in anything even vaguely close to the same level of physical conditioning.  It is in no way unusual for a woman tennis player, even seeded ones, to be packing a ridiculous amount of fat for a professional athlete, whereas that simply does not exist among the men.  So, yes, based on work done, the men are underpaid & the women overpaid.

We will NEVER again see unequal pay, however, no matter how unfair equal pay is.  Nor will we see the women playing 5 sets.  None of them want to do that, so it ain't happenin'!  Nor will the men STOP playing 5 sets -- which btw IMHO is the best answer -- because the top players have too big an edge over the lesser players in conditioning due to the teams that work with them.  WAY too much $$$ at stake to change that.  So this unfairness is here to stay.  Period.  Paragraph.  End of story.  Or so I think.

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 31, 2013 12:48pm)

hey man you really are THE GURU!!!

I have much to learn yet

Last edited by Edu_Anackin (Jan. 31, 2013 1:12pm)

2018: Obi Wan, Rey Saber, R2D2 Crown, C3PO Trophy, Most correct picks Award, Year End #2.
2016: Padme Cup, Roland Garros Yoda Cup, Leia Tiara, Trophy Case Award, Rey Saber runner up, Year End #3.

I have no problem with "equal prize money" everywhere but in Slams.  Men do more work, they should get paid more.
Although, in principle, I don't think ANY professional athlete should make as much money as they do.  But props to them for being at the top of their craft.

I wonder why it isn't "sexist" to make the women play Best-of-3 in Slams when the men get to play Best-of-5.  That's so unfair and a pretty clear case of gender discrimination. The women should also play Best-of-5.  That would be true gender equality.

Somehow, though, I don't think the feminists would agree.  Gender discrimination is ok when it is to their advantage.

-Arvis

So you know my second ex-wife, then, Arvis?   ;-D

Also "get" to play 5 sets is one of the greatest lines of all time!!!  I love it.
Is that a quote from David Ferrer?

Last edited by Don---2013-Yoda-Cup-Guru (Jan. 31, 2013 2:37pm)

LOL!!! smile

Last edited by Edu_Anackin (Jan. 31, 2013 2:34pm)

I phrased that very deliberately... >.>

wink

-Arvis

you know what I was thinking. if the women start to play 5 sets maybe two weeks of tournament wouldn't be enough.

Apart from the elite few in the women's game I wouldn't want to see the ladies go five sets and I have a feeling that most fans wouldn't pay good money to watch it either, commercially it's not a viable option....geez imagine the unforced error count in some of the women's matches lasting five sets...No Thanks! wink

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

unforced errors and double faults!!! that's true Tono

They would be carting them off to the hospital left & right, especially in Oz & at RG.  They'd be on life support.  The WTA would be cited for humanitarian violations by Amnesty International.  It would NOT be pretty, folks!

Well you can also see that women earned more money in Miami and Madrid in 2012 than the men did. I mean, that's pure logic. They win the same amount at Grand Slams where they play less. So if you keep that logic, they should earn more if they play the same no? LOL

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion