Topic: Federer's 22 Slam Semifinals is greatest sport stat ever!

I just want to say congrats to Fed for getting to 22 slam semifinals in a row. I think that this statistic is the greatest achievement in all of sports! This sounds crazy, but think about it. The next person on the list is Lendl with a mere 10 in a row. So you can take Fed's stat, cut it in half, and he still has the record!! What other achievement in sport can you do that with? If you take half of most home runs or hits in baseball there are plenty of players with those numbers. If you take half of the most career yards rushed or most career touchdown passes in football there are plenty of players with those numbers. Same with any stat in golf, basketball, hockey, swimming, etc. Fed has shown a level of skill and consistency that is unmatched in any sport.

Last edited by bobstheman (Sep. 15, 2009 1:11pm)

Re: Federer's 22 Slam Semifinals is greatest sport stat ever!

Hey bobstheman, it does seem a bit crazy, but you do make sense. It is an amazing achievement on so many levels. But since I am a huge tennis fan I might be more likely to agree with you. I wonder what some rabid baseball or football fans would say.

Greatest sports streaks to me:

Joe DiMaggio - 56 game hit streak.

Roger Federer -  22 consecutive 'Slam semifinals (active).

Cal Ripken Jr. - 2632 consecutive games played.

Jahangir Khan - 555 consecutive Squash wins.

Lance Armstrong - 7 consecutive Tour de France wins.

Steven Redgrave - 5 consecutive Olympics with a gold medal.

Brett Favre - 272 consecutive starts (active)

Wayne Gretzky - 51 consecutive games with a point.

I'm not going to rank them, because I don't think I can say one is better than the others.

'12 GSFT US Open Overall Champ
'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'20 Yoda Cup AO Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ

Aiur, that's a great list, but there is only one stat on your list that is more impressive than Fed's achievement: Lance Armstrong's 7 consecutive Tour de France wins. Given the sheer number of people he is competing against and the level of skill of the other riders and the length of the event, it is truly a remarkable achievement. It's also not an elimination tournament, so you are up against over 150 riders from start to finish for 3 grueling weeks! Just thinking about Armstrong's achievement gives me goosebumps.

The other stuff on the list does not compare. Especially the guy who plays squash. Who cares about squash? Might as well have a hopscotch or line dancing stat in there if you are going to include squash.

So I would amend my post to say that Federer's achievement is the 2nd greatest in sports history.

A great achievement is a great achievement. You have an obvious bias here, and rather than argue, I'll leave it at that.

'12 GSFT US Open Overall Champ
'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'20 Yoda Cup AO Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ

The Australian Open starts in a little over a week. Can Fed get to 23 slam semi's in a row? I think he can do it!

He can do it. He got to the finals of the last 3 majors, so I would be surprised if he does not get to the semi's again. And I agree, this is a VERY impressive stat. But is it greater than his 15 slam victories?

either way, he is 'history walking'. he probably still has more stats to improve even though they're god-like already.

So now he is up to 23 slam semi's in a row. WOW! Think about how amanzing this is. How many players got to the SFs four times in a row? Getting to the semi's eight times in a row would be amazing for any player. He has done it 23 times in a row!!!!! WTF!!!!!