Topic: Yoda crew - 2020 infected rankings

Hello dear members of the Yoda crew,

Covid-19 seriously affected our fantasy tennis season.

Since our competitions have been put upside down, i have some proposals on how to deal with the rest of the season and our various competitions.

Here are the different proposals I would like your opinion on and vote:

1) Award champion titles to all competitions that are independant and dont need a planning over the year: all brackets competitions on tdc as well as the Yoda Cup.

2) not award the vader and padme titles as the picks planning was deeply affected by the cancelling of half of the season. As the 8 picks per player strategy would have been very different had we known about the atp tour pause.

3) count only the 2020 results for all 2020 year long competitions (race type) and not use any 2019 points as carry over to award the 2020 titles.
That includes the Guru race, 2020 tdc brackets competitions as well as the master jedi title (dagobah race).

4) for rolling rankings (atp rankings type), the 2019 results will be carried over for 2021 if the 2020 tournament was not played. This us valid for any tdc bracket or yoda cup competition. That means the Skywalker rankings and UFTR rankings will carry over some 2019 events points in 2021. To avoid any issues with the torn teams competition, I propose to carry over the full 2019 points from vader and padme into the UFTT rankings and discard the 2020 points going into 2021 (but doesnt contradict the possibility to decide to award the vader and padme titles if proposal 2 is rejected).

This means that if both proposals 3 and 4 are accepted, the race and rolling rankings will be different for UFTR and Skywalker rankings. FYI, this will also be the case for the atp and wta rankings this year and not absurd at all considering the situation.

Please vote Y/N for all 4 items. I am open to other suggestions.

Would be great to decide on this matter before the cincy/NY open.

Thanks a lot for your participation.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Re: Yoda crew - 2020 infected rankings

Y
N
Y
Y

Overall, I would err on the side of awarding Vader and Padme, even though I acknowledge the competitions are a shadow of what they should have been. Still, they are competitions that we have participated in, with probably 3 of 4 grand slams played this year, and whoever wins has still made some good picks and I would say deserve the title. Yes, things would have been different if this or if that but we can always say that at the end of the year smile Of course the majority may go against me and I completely understand the opposite view.

Yoda Cups: Roland Garros 15, 18, 20; Wimbledon 17; US Open 20; Yoda Guru 2021
Obi Wan Master 16, 17, 20 Lord Vader 15
Han Solo Captain 19, 20
Player of the Year 17, 20

1.Y 2.N 3.Y 4.Y
Totally agree with TE!

1 Y
2 Y
3 Y
4 Y

The majority will be right, i accept whatever comes out of it.
If 3 and 4 are rejected, we will still need to find an agreement and any input is welcome!

1.Y
2.N
3.Y
4.Y

Definitely agree with TE regarding Vader and Padme: there remains a different but discernible level of challenge.

2016:-Diamond Droid and Captain Plasma Helmet Champ.
2018:-Ruby Droid and Jar Jar Dartboard Champ.
2019:-Yoda Crew Most Improved Player. 

1.Y
2.N
3.Y
4.Y

Also agree with TE regarding Vader and Padme: there will still be plenty of competition to create point separation and to determine official award winners.

2020 Padme Cup WTA Team Champion & 2020 Rey Saber WTA Bracket Champion
2020 Yoda Crew Most Improved Player & 2020 Yoda Crew Trophy Case Award
2019 Obi Wan Master ATP Bracket Runner-up & Yoda Crew Green Quarter/Quindecim Award
2018 Lord Vader ATP Team Champion & 2018 Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

I am conflicted about this whichever way I decide, for me it's either award everything or nothing at all, it has been that kind of year, I do want to get a few things off my chest before I vote though.

If the Yoda Crew decides to have award winners (and it appears that we do), then I believe there has to be a HUGE Covid-19 asterisk next to all 2020 title winners because it clearly hasn't been a normal season.

The R2D2 winner would be crowned from only three ATP Masters 1000 tournaments, that is one third of all the usual events!!

Also, will we actually get three Grand Slam events in, if we do then awarding Yoda Cup Guru status will be fine, however if RG ended up being cancelled for some reason then I'm not sure two Grand Slam events constitute a Guru winner, if the group votes that it does, then doesn't that mean I should be given the Guru title way back in 2011 when the Yoda Crew first started at Wimbledon?

Covid has messed up a lot of things this year, I am sure that like me, most of you have been missing the enjoyment of competing every week against each other among our cool group, however I have to be honest and say I have hardly looked at any results this past week and I made my picks in record time.

I'm sure I will take a little more interest in the bigger events as they come along, however it just doesn't feel like the normal Yoda Crew competitions to me that's all.

Having said all that, I will vote similar to TE, tenedab, Drivers and Murreee...

1.Y
2.N
3.Y
4.Y

I actually wouldn't have too much issue voting the opposite way around on all four either to be honest. lol

Last edited by Tono (Aug. 16, 2020 11:57pm)

2020 - Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Thanks for all your votes! Already 6 votes in.

Cincy open starts on saturday, 4 days left to enter your votes!

Late to the party, but here are my votes -

1. Y
2. N
3. Y
4. Y

Last edited by Wimbledonut (Aug. 28, 2020 5:58am)

2019 RG Yoda Cup Co-Champion
2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

So I guess it is settled:

1. 7Y 0N
2. 6N 1Y
3. 7Y 0N
4. 7Y 0N

Thank you for your participation!

Last edited by Adunar (Nov. 18, 2020 3:47pm)

Hi, when will the US Open 2020 competition be open? Pls confirm.

Hello,

Guys, just noticed something about the uftr.

We voted that uftr 2020 would take into account the following:
-yoda and brackets from 2020 with 2019 leverage from tournaments that were not held in 2020.
-padme and vader from 2019 only, discarding 2020 for these 2.

However, the dagobah race for 2020 will include 2020 results ONLY, for all competitions.

Therefore I have two topics for discussion:

-should we include 2020 padme/vader (no 2019 leverage at all) in the uftr instead of leveraging the whole 2019? Would seem legit somehow since that competition was still held despite the circumstances. In addition, it would really reflect 2020.

-should we consider the final uftr or dagobah race for the 2020 award (year end uftr #1, as race and rankings usually do coincide) ? I think the 2020 race is more appropriate. It depends mainly what we decide for question 1.

The matters subjected to vote are the following:

1) do you agree to count only the 2020 results fpr vader and padme for the UFTR? All 2019 results will be discarded regardless if the events were played or not in 2020.

2) the dagobah race 2020 (comprising 2020 results only, no leverage from 2019) will be used to award the uftr related title for 2020, which is year-end #1, Supreme Jedi. (Same approach we took for the guru title).

Let us know your answers by the end of the WTF, (november 22nd) so we can hold our traditional Yoda Crew awards ceremony.

I vote to only include 2020 results - Except for missing one major there was still an abundance of tournaments to compete in to make 2020 a stand alone year for awards and rankings...

2019 Obi Wan Master ATP Bracket Runner-up & Yoda Crew Green Quarter/Quindecim Award

Also you got the count wrong on the vote - It was 6N to 1Y against not awarding individual Padme and Vader for 2020...

6 members voted TO include Padme and Vader awards for 2020... TE, Tenedab, Murreee, Drivers, Wimbledonut. Tono went with majority...

Only 1 voted against... Adunar

If you look at how question #2 was written the NO votes were against NOT including Padme and Vader indicating that we wanted to include Padme and Vader for 2020...

(See TE response with their NO vote... And Driver, Tenedab, Murreee followup responses... Tono concluded "Having said all that, I will vote similar to TE, tenedab, Drivers and Murreee")

Unless you are just talhing about the UTFR results smile

Thanks

Last edited by Murreee (Nov. 18, 2020 11:07am)

1) Yes

2) No, and here's why:

Supreme Jedi is not comparable to Guru, is comparable to Skywalker rankings. At the end of the year of a normal season, the Race is the same as UFTR (overall rankings, like atp/wta), this year, although, UFTR and the Race won't be the same, the race will have only 2020 results, as for UFTR will have 2020 results and 2019 carry over results from the tournaments canceled this year. Supreme Jedi is an award based on the year's end #1, not the Race, the Race this year won't be a complete rankings system because will have only 2020 results, and UFTR is that complete ranking where you do have the points from the canceled tournaments.

I propose we create a different award for the Race winner for this special season, and the Supreme Jedi is year's end #1 in UFTR. Think like this, if Nadal scores more points than Djoko in a season, but Djoko still ends the year as #1, Djoko is the Supreme Jedi and Nadal is the race winner. Get it?

Last edited by Edu_Anackin (Nov. 18, 2020 3:00pm)

2019: AO Yoda Cup, Obi Wan, R2D2 Crown, C3PO Trophy, Performance of the Year, Year End #3
2018: Obi Wan, Rey Saber, R2D2 Crown, C3PO Trophy, Most correct picks Award, Year End #2.
2017: BB-8 Cup, Year End #4. 2016: Padme Cup, RG Yoda Cup, Leia Tiara, Trophy Case Award, Rey Saber runner up, Year End #3.
2015: Lando Calrissian's Ring, GQ "The Green Anackin".

Thanks for the feedback Edu.
I do understand your point. Still, for me the year-end #1 would be the race winner, the best performer of the year.
But honestly, it is likely that it is the same person, but not guaranteed.

Let's see what everybody thinks.

Murreee: yes, I am only talking about UFTR here and how we manage the vader/padme points specifically for UFTR. Vader and Padme titles have been awarded as usual.
I did say it was 6-1 vote for object #2... but got it the wrong way haha ;-)

My votes are:
1) yes
2) yes

Last edited by Adunar (Nov. 18, 2020 3:47pm)

And there's another thing, UFTR takes into account all of our comps, brackets, teams and yoda, men and women, it is soooo many tournaments and so many weeks, it is a loooong grind and it's really hard, to be a Supreme Jedi you have to be consistently good, but this year I'm not even sure we played 50% of the tournaments... So I don't even think it's fair with the people who won in past years.

2019: AO Yoda Cup, Obi Wan, R2D2 Crown, C3PO Trophy, Performance of the Year, Year End #3
2018: Obi Wan, Rey Saber, R2D2 Crown, C3PO Trophy, Most correct picks Award, Year End #2.
2017: BB-8 Cup, Year End #4. 2016: Padme Cup, RG Yoda Cup, Leia Tiara, Trophy Case Award, Rey Saber runner up, Year End #3.
2015: Lando Calrissian's Ring, GQ "The Green Anackin".

It is different, true. About half of the tournaments were cancelled.
But in the end, it was the same for everybody. It is like saying weather was crap during the tennis match. It may change things, but both players are equally dealing with it.

Honestly, I thought the way to pick was affected and I liked taking the situation in consideration when making my picks.

Just to say I have seen this but don't have a really strong opinion. And since I have a dog in the fight I'll just abstain.

Yoda Cups: Roland Garros 15, 18, 20; Wimbledon 17; US Open 20; Yoda Guru 2021
Obi Wan Master 16, 17, 20 Lord Vader 15
Han Solo Captain 19, 20
Player of the Year 17, 20

I am assuming that Jamie will be the UFTR No.1, if that is the case then I vote for the status quo like we have had previously, if for some reason Jamie isn't the UFTR No.1, then I agree with Edu that maybe we should have two UFTR awards just for this season, because Jamie will definitely be the race winner I would expect.

2020 - Supreme Jedi UFTR No.1, Lord Vader 2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme , BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

1.YES
2.YES

1.Yes
2.Yes

2016:-Diamond Droid and Captain Plasma Helmet Champ.
2018:-Ruby Droid and Jar Jar Dartboard Champ.
2019:-Yoda Crew Most Improved Player.