Re: Yoda Cup - Wimbledon 2019

Oh one little detail: In each section, I usually order the players by rank of popularity. I find it more "readable " that way. But organizing them in the draw order isnt a bad idea. Just a thought, you are the one managing it this time so do as you prefer smile

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Adunar wrote:

Oh one little detail: In each section, I usually order the players by rank of popularity. I find it more "readable " that way. But organizing them in the draw order isnt a bad idea. Just a thought, you are the one managing it this time so do as you prefer smile

Good tip Arnie.

2016:-Diamond Droid and Captain Plasma Helmet Champ.
2018:-Ruby Droid and Jar Jar Dartboard Champ.
2019:-Yoda Crew Most Improved Player. 

Thanks for filling in on the Post of Awesomeness Jenny. I'll fill in Arvis' usual role of reviewing and previewing each team

OZ has some interesting choices on his team. He's picked a Keys/Kvitova final with Madison winning the title. If either make a run, could pay off big for him. Men's side also has some surprises, no Rafa and is backing Cilic for a run, also went Thiem and Anderson

Our co-Roland Garros champion Wimbo has two solid teams. Went 4-3-1 for the men backing Berrettini, Goffin, and RBA. Going for the break points and some solid picks to get them. Women's team is fairly conventional. but backed Vika and avoided the Venus/Maria -16. Looking like a solid bet to content for another major

Our Guru leader Tenedab has his usual solid team. Went Halep over Bertens, also left ouff Rafa for Cilic. Will take a few -16 with Zverev and Sharapova but solid besides those

TE is really going for the bonus points with his women's team. 3-4-1! Backing Keys, Konta, Mertens, Kenin. A lot of bonus point chances, also took Halep as the runner up to Barty which could pay off if Pliskova falters

Snolly has two good teams. Fairly conventional for the men, Fritz as his unseeded which is looking good after he dispatched Berdych. Another who is shooting for bonus points, went 3-4-1 for the ladies backing Konta, Martic, Kenin

Adunar also joins the 4-3-1 club for the ladies with the Konta/Keys/Martic trifecta. He's backed his compatriot Roger for the title, fairly conventional teams for both

Tono has a new avatar (looks good) and is alos shooting for bonus points. 4-3-1 for the men backing Berrettini/Simon/RBA. Left off Serena for Kerber and Halep so he'll hope Angie can come out of that 8th of the draw

Good to have Charles back in Yoda Cup. He's having a rough first week, already lost Osaka (his champion pick), Venus, and Thiem with Shapovalov looking to add a 4th -16.

Arvis claims to have rushed these picks but nailed Sam Querrey upsetting Thiem. One of his 2 unseeded men (along with Lopez). His other bold unseeded American pick didn't go as well, Cathy McNally. And am I reading this right, he has Petra Martic in the final? We all seem high on Martic but Arvis really going bold with his bottom half pick

Mike is one of the only ones to leave off Barty, a bold move that could pay off is she succumbs to the curse of so many first time slam champions. Also went 4-3-1 with Keys, Konta, and Kenin. Also in the pro-Cilic camp, left out Rafa and also took Khachanov who could make a run if he gets by RBA in Rd 3

Edu with 2 fairly straightforward teams. Kecmanovic was a good unseeded and hit on Strycova knocking out Tsurenko

Our friend Milo also shooting for a lot of bonus points. 4-3-2 with Fritz and Evans as two solid unseeded picks. Went 3-4-1 for the ladies (Keys/Mertens/Martic/Anisimova) but may be hurt by a risky Friedsam pick.

D-Train joined the 4-3-1 club backing Berrettini/Simon/Goffin. His most unusual pick may be using a Top-16 on Wozniacki

Our resident Canadian Dwight couldn't resist taking Felix but did leave off Raonic. He got burned yesterday with the Zverev/Tsitsipas double so will be looking to dig out of that hole. Gambled on Ostapenko and lost, will hope his 3 low seeds (Konta/Martic/Anisimova) can help his make up for a rough day one

With everyone going bold, our friend Johnny pulled the upset by staying rather conventional. 5-2-1 for both, also got burned by the Zverev/Tsitsipas double. His women's team is solid and straightforward outside of putting Garcia in the final, a bold move which has already gone down

Aiur left off Nadal for Nishikori/Thiem/Khachanov. He got burned by Dimitrov crashing out day 1. A sneaky good Sevastova pick for the ladies who could sneak through if things break right. Has gone with a Serena/Halep final

Murreee brought back Kevin Anderson after Ando nearly carried him to the Wimbledon title last year. Left off both Barty and Pliskova on the women's side, clearly not backing the favorites. If Kerber emerges from the quarter of death and wins the title, Murreee could pick up the Wimbledon title he came close to last year.

Spotec loaded up on compatriots, the expected Germans and also Friedsam as an unseeded. Fairly straightforward teams, backing Pliskova and Fed to win the title

HTS having a rough go of it. After a great run last year (including a ballsy Kerber pick), already down 5 players (Zverev, Tsitsipas, Berdych, Osaka, Venus).

Drivers with two fairly straightforward teams. Dan Evans as unseeded could be a pick that yields her some bonus points

And finally Marco our defending champion. Did he think about going bold on the men's side and going 4-3-1 or even 3-4-1. Yes. Did he decide to play it safe thus guaranteeing everyone he left off will make 4R. Yes. Good news is he swapped out Zverev at the last minute, bad news is he re-added Tsitsipas

Good luck everyone, lets have a great Wimbledon!

2018: Guru Race Winner (2019 Yoda Cup Guru), Australian Open Yoda Cup Champion, Wimbledon Yoda Cup Champion, Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

I was hurt by Friedsam, Wimbo ... real bad

16 Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Great summary Marco, thanks!
Wimbo already looking ominous...

2018 Roland Garros Yoda Cup, Year End #3
2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup

Thanks for filling in for my lazy brother Marco lol

Hey, thanks Marco, that was really well done!

I've been traveling as well as having twice as much work at my day job.  Sorry to be less involved with the group.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I have more traveling ahead of me as I prepare to pay an unexpected visit to my brother.  *loads rocket launcher*

Good stuff Marco, we all miss the Arvis’ write ups, we now keenly await more Marco ones. wink

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Well volunteered, thanks Marco.

Thanks Marco. Nicely done!

Thanks Marco!

Jenny, when all the players are blue after a round, I usually go back to black as they get to the next round.. and then blue back again for the following one, etc.

I find color changes more catchy than bold for a win as bold is for the -16. For the players losing in the following rounds, i turn them red but not bold. This way, it is easier to recognize a -16 later on.

But again, this is only a suggestion. Feel free to try what you like best.

EDIT:
Qnd once a player passed two rounds and can get bonus points by winning the next one, i start populating the "potential bonus points" section. In black if possible, in green once it gets the BP (and deleted if fails).

Last edited by Adunar (Jul. 3, 2019 11:01am)

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Adunar wrote:

Thanks Marco!

Jenny, when all the players are blue after a round, I usually go back to black as they get to the next round.. and then blue back again for the following one, etc.

I find color changes more catchy than bold for a win as bold is for the -16. For the players losing in the following rounds, i turn them red but not bold. This way, it is easier to recognize a -16 later on.

Arnie, I love that your paternal instincts are already in high gear ... with your POA baby  wink

12, 13 & 16 King Droid

Adunar wrote:

Thanks Marco!

EDIT:
Qnd once a player passed two rounds and can get bonus points by winning the next one, i start populating the "potential bonus points" section. In black if possible, in green once it gets the BP (and deleted if fails).

Okay, Thanks Arnie, I couldnt remember what you did at this stage. I'll change it back to black and unbold the losers of round 2 later.

Last edited by Drivers (Jul. 3, 2019 11:59am)

Nice write-up Marco.

2019 RG Yoda Cup Co-Champion
2016 Yoda Cup Guru
2015 USO Yoda Cup Champion
2014 AO Yoda Cup Champion

Great job, Marco on the (Arvis) Post of Delight!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

Struff is unseeded

Johnny_Incognito wrote:

Struff is unseeded

I'm not sure if he is as far as the site is concerned Johnny. When I tried to pick him as my unseeded it wouldn't let me. You have  Lopez as an unseeded so that may be why Struff got through. I'm still not sure though until/if the site adds the bonus points but I  thought if I record him as seeded it will be a positive for you if he gets 32 rather than a let down if you're anticipating 32 and end up with 16!

Last edited by Drivers (Jul. 4, 2019 1:22pm)

Struff became seeded #33 after Coric pulled out

TennisElbow wrote:

Great summary Marco, thanks!
Wimbo already looking ominous...

Still early, but seeds are dropping like flies.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Milo wrote:

I was hurt by Friedsam, Wimbo ... real bad

Sorry to hear it, Milo.

2016 Yoda Cup Guru

Am i missing something? Seeds are 1 - 32. Struff is 33 therefore is "unseeded"

When Coric pulled out of the event, Struff was just outside of the seedings so he became the 33rd seed

12, 13 & 16 King Droid

no color in the Bonus Points area?

12, 13 & 16 King Droid

Milo wrote:

I started Milo, but when I added the second lot of colour it wouldn’t let me post it:- not sure why!!! So, I removed it and will go Green during today’s play. Sorry, but didnt have time to sort it yesterday evening!

Last edited by Drivers (Jul. 6, 2019 7:54am)

Drivers wrote:
Milo wrote:

I started Milo, but when I added the second lot of colour it wouldn’t let me post it:- not sure why!!! So, I removed it and will go Green during today’s play. Sorry, but didnt have time to sort it yesterday evening!

big_smile

12, 13 & 16 King Droid