Re: Tennis Draw Challenge 2019 - Results & Discussion

Thanks TE - Now if I could only figure out the WTA like you have..!!!

GoBHP

2018 Lord Vader
2018 Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

Awesome write-ups Arvis - continued excellence!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

Thanks, Dwight!  I hope it's as fun for you guys to follow the week-to-week drama as it is for me.

Arvis wrote:

Thanks, Dwight!  I hope it's as fun for you guys to follow the week-to-week drama as it is for me.

Definitely- really adds to the enjoyment.

2016:-Diamond Droid and Captain Plasma Helmet Champ.
2018:-Ruby Droid and Jar Jar Dartboard Champ.

Thanks Arvis once again, however I think your ATP margin calculator might be on the blink a little bit...

ATP Overall Standings
1. Murree: 794 ↑45  ↑4 ranks
2. TE: -14 ↓28  ↓1 rank
3. Tono: -16 ↓2  ↓1 rank
4. Edu: -19 ↓1 rank
5. Tenedab: -24 ↓5  ↓2 ranks

TE is only 6pts behind Murreee, I'm 8pts behind and Edu is 11pts behind, one too many whiskeys celebrating that great WTA win in Miami eh. wink

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Thanks so much for checking that, Tono!  My mind has been in a total haze the last few weeks.  I've edited my post accordingly.

WTA

Charleston
We had an absolutely massive win here by Snollygoster!  He was the only one to pick Keys to win the tournament, but the rest of his bracket was pretty solid too, as he finished with an impressive total of 61, 9 points above 2nd place Murree and a staggering 37 above last place TE.  It's rare to see a bracket win THAT dominant.
TE was both our Overall WTA bracket leader and WTA 470 leader coming into this past week.  Could his last place finish here have toppled him from the standings?

Monterrey
3 of our top 5 finishers had Mugu winning, but the margins here are much slimmer, as you would expect.  Tono got the win over Aiur by 3 points, with a 13 point lead over Johnny in last place.  HTS was the only one to predict Vika to the finals and in fact picked her to beat Mugu for the title, but her retirement ruined his big pay day in this competition.

WTA 280 Standings
1T. Adunar: 197
2T. TE: -8 ↓4  ↑1 rank
2T. Tenedab: -8 ↓2  ↑2 ranks
4. Spotec: -10 ↓10  ↓3 ranks
5. Tono: -16 NEW
-- Edu eliminated --

Great job to Adunar doing enough to maintain his slim WTA 280 lead!  He was one of the 3 with Mugu as winner and finished tied for 3rd in Monterrey.  That great result gives him a smidge more breathing room here.  But we've got more 280s happening right now and things can change quickly!  Hang in there, Adunar!

WTA 470 Standings
1. Snolly: 172 ↑37 ↑4 ranks
2. TE: -4 ↓33  ↓1 rank
3. Tono: -10 ↑22  ↑1 rank
4. Dwight: -11 ↑18  ↓1 rank
5. HTS: -19 BOUNCE BACK
--- Adunar eliminated ---

TE had SUCH a dominant lead here and I am shocked - SHOCKED, I SAY! - that he lost it all in the span of just one tournament.  It took an incredible effort from Snolly to do it, and things are still very close here, but Snolly really does deserve kudos for managing to overcome such a huge deficit so quickly to take the 1st place spot.
Credit also to HTS for getting right back in the Top 5 again.  He's been bouncing on and off this list all year.

WTA Overall Standings
1. Adunar: 737 ↑5  ↑1 rank
2. Tono: -1 BOUNCE BACK
3. TE: -5 ↓9  ↓2 ranks
4T. Edu: -8 ↑2  ↓1 rank
4T. Arvis: -8 ↑9  ↑1 rank
-- Tenedab eliminated --

TE's reign of terror has ended!  However, he could very easily get himself right back in the Overall lead even just from the two 280s we have this week.
Props to Tono for going from off the board to almost first place!  Huge!  And of course, big congrats to Adunar for taking the #1 spot!
6th place is currently occupied by both Drivers and Tenedab, who are only 2 points behind Edu and Arvis.  However, there is a huge dropoff of nearly 20 points after them, so we actually have 7 of us who could all viably be #1 after this week depending on how things shake out.  Craziness.  I wouldn't expect that many people to be so close in score by April.

Great summary Arvis!  you told the story with verve and interest.

Can't believe I'm on a WTA leaderboard...

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

Yes, Dwight, you're doing amazing in those 470s!  You gained a TON of ground on the top spot in Charleston, nice job!  I'll be watching closely to see how you do in Stuttgart. smile
GO DWIGHT!

I'm amazed myself that I'm Top 5 Overall this far into the season.  I definitely had some luck go my way, especially in Miami.  But my place is so tenuous.  My brackets this week are starting off just ok, but they still have late round potential for big scoring.  Gotta admit, I'm actually getting nervous!

ATP

Houston
RROOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! lol lol lol lol lol lol
Johnny won.  By like a million.  With the craziest bracket ever.  It was amazing.  He actually got #1 on the whole dang site.  Johnny, you are amazing!
Johnny scored 43, the next highest was Dtrain with 14.  Just gotta laugh.

Marrakech
This tournament was a bit more normal, with all of us kind of floundering over the unexpected upsets and the margins being small.  Murree won this one with 23, 2 above 2nd place Snolly and 12 above last place Aiur and Tenedab.

ATP 250 Standings
1. TE: 331
2. Tono: -19 ↓3
3. Edu: -23 ↓7  ↓1 rank
4. Drivers: -33 ↓6  ↑1 rank
5. Tenedab: -36 ↓15  ↓1 rank

Despite his amazing Houston bracket, Johnny's late start to 2019 means he is still bringing up the rear in the standings here.  As for the Top 5, the margins were too small among the rest of the group to make much difference, but TE continues his solid play, making his impressive lead here just a touch more impressive than it already was.

ATP Overall Standings
1. Murree: 835
2. TE: -4 ↑2
3. Tono: -10 ↑2
4. Edu: -16 ↓5
5. Dwight: -37 NEW
-- Tenedab eliminated --

Murree managed to just barely get the lead here recently and has done just enough to keep hold of it.
Tenedab was bumped off the Top 5 at the time of this update, but he is currently 1 point behind Dwight, so the #5 spot could easily change even as more Monte Carlo results come in today.

---

WTA

Lugano
Tenedab impressively predicted Polona Hercog to make the finals here, and that pick got him the win with 24 points.  That's 3 above 2nd place Dwight, who also had a good pick with Swiatek in the SFs.  Tenny's magin of victory over last place Edu and Aiur was 15, which is a decent-sized chunk at this level.

Bogota
Lots of similar brackets here amongst the Jedi Masters, but none of them especially dominant.  We finished with three winners (Tenny, Adunar, and Drivers) all of whom scored 25.  Edu came next with 24.  Spotec was pretty far back in last, 13 points away from the leaders.  But the next lowest scores were only 8 points behind our winners.
This makes two bracket wins in one week for Tenedab!  How will he fare in our Top 5 lists?

WTA 280 Standings
1. Tenedab: 229  ↑10  ↑1 rank
2. Adunar: 227 ↓10
3. TE: -12 ↓4
4. Tono: -21 ↓5  ↑1 rank
5. Spotec: -26 ↓16  ↓1 rank

Tenny gains 3 ranks here in two weeks to take the #1 spot!  Very impressive, as always!  Meanwhile, poor Spotec has gone from 1st place to 5th in that same span with a few dismal results.

WTA Overall Standings
1T. Adunar: 767 ↓1
1T. Tenedab: 767 BOUNCE BACK
3. Tono: -4 ↓4  ↓1 rank
4. TE: -8 ↓3  ↓1 rank
5. Arvis: -10 ↓2  ↓1 rank
-- Edu eliminated --

Just one week after dropping off the board here, Tenedab storms back so strong he very nearly took the lead away from Arnie!  Those two will have an entire week off this week to enjoy their tie.  Let's see what happens after that.
Arvis somehow managed to stave off Edu and barely stay on life support in the Top 5.

Flippin nice work Johnny, early contender for Performance of the Year?

2018 Roland Garros Yoda Cup, Year End #3
2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup

I agree Jamie, to get 20 out of 27 in that crazy Houston bracket was impressive, BIG congrats Johnny.

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Thanks yall. Glad i have a good one every now and then lol

Monte Carlo
Despite his prescient Medvedev SF pick, it wasn't enough for Spotec to overcome Dtrain's solid bracket.  Dtrain beat Spotec by 1 point here with a total of 56 points.  When you consider that last year's Monte Carlo bracket champ won with 116 points, you get a good sense of how crazy this tournament was.  Honestly, it was kind of a wash.
Dtrain still beat last place Johnny (who's back to his usual self after going Super Saiyan in Houston) by 22 points, though, so there was a bit of margin here.

ATP 1000 Standings
1. Murree: 232 NEW
2. Snolly: -11  ↑4
3. Dtrain: -13 NEW
4T. HTS: -18 ↓2
4T. Dwight: -19 NEW
-- Arvis, Tono eliminated ---

It's still a tight race here, with people jumping on and off the board after every Masters tournament we have.  Dtrain leaps into 3rd with his win, while Murree does enough to maintain his decent lead.
To illustrate how close things still are here, Tono and Drivers are just 1 point behind HTS and Dwight.

ATP Overall Standings
1. TE: 878 ↑5  ↑1 rank
2. Murree: -1 ↓5  ↓1 rank
3. Tono: -8 ↑2
4. Edu: -15 ↑1
5. Dwight: -34 ↑3

And we have a new leader (for now)!  Although Murree did enough to keep his lead after Monte Carlo, this week's ATP brackets have already closed and have points affecting these rankings.  So TE has already gained 4 points on Murree just from today's scores.  These two will be jostling each other here for quite a while, I think!  But Tono isn't too far back, so keep an eye on him.  He's been gaining tiny bits for a couple weeks now.

R2D2 comp is tough this year, Fognini winning a Masters event proves that, so far it has been Thiem, Fed and Fognini on the honours board in the 1000's, my guess is we will get at least another first time Masters 1000 winner this year, but who?

Tono wrote:

my guess is we will get at least another first time Masters 1000 winner this year, but who?

Hubert Hurkacz will win Cincy  lol

Hilarious, Arvis!

but not impossible!

Great write-ups!!

ATP

Budapest
Not much happening here, we usually have a few of "these types" of 250s every year, but 2019 does continue to feel more unpredictable than usual.  Johnny stumbled his way into a Berrettini pick, his consistent strategy of picking AGAINST players he considers weak instead of FOR players he considers strong has paid off here as it did in Houston, albeit not as impressively.  He beat his Iceland brother Arvis, who finished 2nd by 6 points, and last place HTS by 19, which is actually a substantial margin at this level.

ATP 250 Standings
1. TE: 356
2. Tono: -24 ↓5
3. Edu: -29 ↓6
4. Drivers: -41 ↓8
5. Tenedab: -42 ↓6

Yet another good week for TE in these standings, gaining on the entire rest of the Top 5.  Everyone has their work cut out for them if they want to dethrone TE here.  24 points above 2nd place is HUGE.

Barcelona
Just about everyone picked Rafa to win here, so his SF loss means margins were kept low.  Still, Spotec got the win here with 51 points, nudging Dwight by 1.  Both of them backed Medvedev to make the finals, which was an extremely impressive pick and makes them worthy of this victory.
Johnny's doubt led him to pick against all of the strongest and and most consistent clay courters, so he finished in last place, 28 points back from Spotec.

ATP 500 Standings
1T. Drivers: 170 ↑2  ↑1 rank
1T. Dwight: 170 ↑5  ↑2 ranks
3. Dtrain: -5 ↓7  ↓2 ranks
4. Tenedab: -7
5. Edu: -8

Dtrain didn't do enough to keep his lead here and now we're left with an interesting battle at the top: a tie for first that will stay all the way until the clay court season is over!  The ATP 500 competition is always one of the more interesting ones to follow, since the tournaments are rare and tend to an interesting mix of high points value with unexpected results.  Props to Drivers and Dwight for navigating these tournaments so skillfully so far!

ATP Overall Standings
1. TE: 942
2. Murree: -12 ↓11
3. Tono: -15 ↓7
4. Edu: -21 ↓6
5. Dwight: -35 ↓1

Good grief, TE went from 1 point ahead here to 12 in just one week.  Murree has to be feeling the sting of this, having been the #1 Jedi here so recently.  But TE has gained points on everyone else, too, so atm he just can't be stopped!  TE, you're amazing!

---

WTA

Istanbul
This ended up being an extremely valuable 280, with Tenedab coming in #1 with 31 points while Adunar came in last with only 6.  Most 280s don't have a margin quite like that.  But Ol' Tenny had BOTH finalists correct and only the mercy of the universe prevented him from getting the winner correct.  BHP was the only one to correctly predict Martic to win, an impressive pick that launched him into 2nd place with 28.

WTA 280 Standings
1. Tenedab: 261
2. TE: -22 ↓10  ↑1 rank
3. Adunar: -28 ↓26  ↓1 rank
4T. BHP: -30 NEW
4T. Edu: -30 NEW
-- Tono, Spotec eliminated --

Tenedab's performance here was so dominant that newcomers BHP and Edu are both further back from him than Tono and Spotec were previously, that's how far back Tono and Spotec fell.  A 20+ point margin in 280s is going to be tough to overcome, but the more unpredictable these tournaments are, the more you think Tenedab is going to excel with his consistent picking.
Meanwhile, for Adunar it was pretty much as bad as it could possibly have been.  It's going to take a while for him to bounce back from just this one tournament.

Stuttgart
Four Jedi backed Petra to win here and she obliged by becoming one of the only 2 time tournament winners of the year on either tour.  The result was a total of 41 points for winner HTS, a 1 point lead over Tono in 2nd and 28 over last place Arvis, whose bracket was over before it began.

WTA 470 Standings
1. Tono: 202 ↑18  ↑2 ranks
2T. Snolly: -8 ↓18  ↓1 rank
2T. Dwight: -8 ↑3  ↑2 ranks
2T. HTS: -8 ↑11  ↑3 ranks
5. TE: -19 ↓15  ↓3 ranks

Huge shakeups here!  After just being bumped off the Top 5 a couple tournaments ago, HTS has once again firmly established himself as a force in the 470 brackets.  However, it's Tono who takes the #1 spot atm.  Can he hold off ALL THREE Jedi who are jostling each other so closely beneath him?

WTA Overall Standings
1. Tono: 820 ↑5  ↑2 ranks
2. Tenedab: -1 ↓1  ↓1 rank
3. Edu: -15 BOUNCE BACK
4. Adunar: -20 ↓20  ↓3 ranks
5. TE: -24 ↓16  ↓1 rank
-- Arvis eliminated --

You can't keep a good Brazilian down, as proven by Edu time and again.  He jumps right back into the thick of things here while Tono's huge Stuttgart payday keeps Tenedab from satisfaction.  That 1 point margin between them has actually come from today's Rabat results, so they finished last week tied for the lead, those two.
Arvis went from 10 points off the lead to #7 in this race with his dismal performances.  Can he shake it off and recapture his inspiration?

Last edited by Arvis (Apr. 29, 2019 2:41pm)

Thanks Arvis! It looks like you are jinxing me already

It's very much a CURSE, Tenedab.

16 Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

You're.... welcome?

Seems like there is almost a new Top 5 every second week in each comp, the wild ride continues, thanks Arvis.

Don't forget Madrid starts on Saturday people

2018 Roland Garros Yoda Cup, Year End #3
2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup

ATP

Estoril
Lots of people with the correct winner here, so the difference between Snolly in 1st and Adunar in 10th is a mere 5 points.  However, a few did not pick Tsitsi to win, culminating in Johnny at the nadir with only 13 points, 17 off the lead.

Munich
Dwight actually correctly predicted one of the finalists, which is amazing.  He was the only one to do it and finished in 1st with 28 points.  Spotec and Adunar brought up the rear, but they were only 10 points behind Dwight, which isn't too bad.

ATP 250 Standings
1. TE: 399
2. Tono: -24
3. Edu: -25 ↑4
4. Drivers: -38 ↑3
5. Dwight: -42 NEW
-- Tenedab eliminated --

Dwight's good Munich win was enough to get him on this list and bump Tenny off.  However, Dwight's only 2 points ahead, so his position is hardly a comfortable one.  TE is still in cruise control at the top here, having lost no ground at all to Tono over these two tournaments.

ATP Overall Standings
1. TE: 988
2. Murree: -5 ↑7
3. Tono: -15
4. Edu: -16 ↑5
5. Dwight: -21 ↑14

Nice big boost for Dwight, but not enough to bump him up a rank.  Murree suddenly is putting the pressure right back on our leader, TE.  How will Madrid shake out for those two?

---

WTA

Rabat
Another unpredictable 280, we had 3 winners with 22 points, double TE's last place total.  Nobody had either finalist correct, of course.  Which is also true of the other 280 this week...

Prague
Tenedab capitalizes yet again on an upset-filled 280, managing 21 points.  That doesn't sound like much, but it was a full 4 points over 2nd place BHP and 12 points over last place Aiur.  Ol' Tenny actually had TWO correct SFists!  Holy crap!

WTA 280 Standings
1. Tenedab: 302
2. Adunar: -41 ↓13  ↑1 rank
3. TE: -42 ↓20  ↓1 rank
4. BHP: -44 ↓14
5. Edu: -48 ↓18

Good grief, Tenedab.  O__o
I... don't see how this massive lead will ever be overcome for the entire rest of the year.  I honestly don't think it's realistically possible.

WTA Overall Standings
1. Tenedab: 887 ↑21  ↑1 rank
2. Tono: -20 ↓21  ↓1 rank
3. Adunar: -33 ↓13  ↑1 rank
4. Edu: -37 ↓22  ↓1 rank
5. Drivers: -38 NEW
-- TE eliminated --

Any time we're tempted to think that a week with a couple 280s in it "isn't that important", let's remember what Tenedab did here.
Beyond Tenny and Tono we have a bit of traffic jam: less than 10 points separates Adunar in 3rd with TE in 7th.  Lots of us vying for a Top 5 spot here.

Thanks Arvis. One cannot feel too comfortable no matter what the lead is in this group of tennis-holics.