Topic: 2019 ATP Year-End Top 10

Hey everyone! Question for the Offseason, what do you think the ATP Top-10 look like at the end of the 2019 season? Figured this should be fun to look back at in a year. A lot we don't know yet (Who breaks out, injuries, etc), but what would your predictions be right now (fully aware some of this will be wrong a year from now)

Mine:

1.   Novak Djokovic
2.   Alexander Zverev
3.   Rafael Nadal
4.   Juan Martin del Potro
5.   Roger Federer
6.   Dominic Thiem
7.   Kei Nishikori
8.   Karen Khachanov
9.   Daniil Medvedev
10. Marin Cilic

Went back and forth between Medvedev and Coric. What does everyone else think?

2018: Guru Race Winner (2019 Yoda Cup Guru), Australian Open Yoda Cup Champion, Wimbledon Yoda Cup Champion, Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

Re: 2019 ATP Year-End Top 10

Hmm that is a tough prediction...

1. Djokovic
2. Zverev
3. Nadal
4. Thiem
5. Federer
6. Khachanov
7. Cilic
8. Coric
9. Nishikori
10. Anderson

I am not sure if Delpo will be able to compete at the higjest level. I almost put murray in there as he could climb back the rankings pretty fast. Tsitsipas could also get in there. And who knowsy maybe Stan will be back in the top10??

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

1.   Novak Djokovic
2.   Rafael Nadal
3.   Juan Martin del Potro
4.   Roger Federer
5.   Alexander Zverev
6.   Stefanos Tsitsipas
7.   Kei Nishikori
8.   Nick Kyrigos
9.   Dennis Sharpovalov
10. Andy Murray / Kevin Anderson

Last edited by Murreee (Dec. 5, 2018 11:48am)

2019 Yoda Crew Green Quarter/Quindecim Award
2019 Obi Wan Master Runner-up
2018 Lord Vader
2018 Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

Ballsy Murreee! I dont see kyrgios getting nowhere. Shaps is still young and inconsistant. Tsitsi can definitely make it but I expect him to stagnate next year. I love his game so I hope I am wrong.

Next Gen moving up..!!! If Murray cannot fully recover I will go with Anderson at 10...

Last edited by Murreee (Dec. 5, 2018 11:48am)

2018 Lord Vader

Murreee wrote:

Next Gen moving up..!!! If Murray cannot fully recover I will go with Anderson at 10...

I find it interesting which Next Gen players you're going on all in on Murreee. You're higher on Tsitsipas and particularly Shapovalov than I am (plus Kyrgios), while I am going more towards Khachanov, Medvedev and Coric. Curious what made you put those two ahead of the pack. I'm higher on Tsitsipas but Shapovalov's lack of a return game worries me

I agree with Adunar that Del Porto is a risk. Hoping the back injury he suffered in Shanghai doesn't linger. I kept him since his level was so good in 2018 but it's entirely possible that he could drop out if he has issues staying healthy next year

2018: Guru Race Winner (2019 Yoda Cup Guru), Australian Open Yoda Cup Champion, Wimbledon Yoda Cup Champion, Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

I legit think Chung could do it if he can stay healthy

Arvis wrote:

I legit think Chung could do it if he can stay healthy

I think Chung has a chance. As you said, the big variable will be his health. I like his game and potential, just kept him off since him staying healthy is a question mark

Yes, I like Khacha's and Coric' chances better than tsitsi and medvedev at the moment. A bit more consistent.

It was not Delpo's back that got injured... it was his knee (menisc).

IDK about Coric and consistency.  The whole I'll Beat Feddy In Halle followed by Losing In The First Round of Wimbledon thing has be spooked on him.  Feeling like another Dimitrov, where you just don't know when he'll start to struggle.

But IDK, I also just don't LIKE Coric, so there's that to consider.  Generally the players that I don't like are the ones who perform better in the long term.  Maybe I'm imagining that.

Nice post Guru Marco!...Nice to see your moniker's are up too to celebrate your great year in 2018.

I think only Isner and maybe Kei will drop out of the 10 by the end of 2019, so which one or two players will come in...Khach and/or Tsitsi seem the most likely I think, but let's not forget about Milos and Grigor just yet, 2019 could be the year that the changing of the guard starts, then again it might be more the same on the ATP tour, who knows. (De Minaur is my long shot at the 10) wink

My ten at years end for what it's worth would be...

1) Djokovic
2) Nadal
3) Zverev
4) Del Potro
5) Federer
6) Thiem
7) Cilic
8) Anderson
9) Khachanov
10) Nishikori

I'm assuming everyone will have a reasonably healthy year of course, I hope Fed can stay in the Top 5, however if he has a poor AO then all of us Fed fans will be worried...I hope Delpo plans his schedule well too so he can be a contender again.

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Tono wrote:

Nice post Guru Marco!...Nice to see your moniker's are up too to celebrate your great year in 2018.

I think only Isner and maybe Kei will drop out of the 10 by the end of 2019, so which one or two players will come in...Khach and/or Tsitsi seem the most likely I think, but let's not forget about Milos and Grigor just yet, 2019 could be the year that the changing of the guard starts, then again it might be more the same on the ATP tour, who knows. (De Minaur is my long shot at the 10) wink

My ten at years end for what it's worth would be...

1) Djokovic
2) Nadal
3) Zverev
4) Del Potro
5) Federer
6) Thiem
7) Cilic
8) Anderson
9) Khachanov
10) Nishikori

I'm assuming everyone will have a reasonably healthy year of course, I hope Fed can stay in the Top 5, however if he has a poor AO then all of us Fed fans will be worried...I hope Delpo plans his schedule well too so he can be a contender again.

I'm worried Del Potro is missing Australia. Never a good sign to start the year. De Minaur interests me, I love his game style and think he's really fun to watch, just worry about the lack of offensive weapons (although speed is still a weapon IMO)

Here we go Marco... Will be fun competing against you again this year..!!!

Have to change my top 10 due to some injury concerns:

1.   Novak Djokovic
2.   Rafael Nadal
3.   Kevin Anderson
4.   Roger Federer
5.   Alexander Zverev
6.   Stefanos Tsitsipas
7.   Marin Cilic
8.   Kei Nishikori
9.   Juan Martin del Potro
10. Daniil Medvedev

2018 Lord Vader

My Chung prediction is looking amazing

Murreee wrote:

Here we go Marco... Will be fun competing against you again this year..!!!

Have to change my top 10 due to some injury concerns:

1.   Novak Djokovic
2.   Rafael Nadal
3.   Kevin Anderson
4.   Roger Federer
5.   Alexander Zverev
6.   Stefanos Tsitsipas
7.   Marin Cilic
8.   Kei Nishikori
9.   Juan Martin del Potro
10. Daniil Medvedev

Here we go Murreee! Looking forward to competing against you again this year! Also as I type this, we're currently tied for 1st in Yoda Cup. A lot of Yoda Cup to be played but good to see you've picked up where you left off in 2018

So let's look back at our predictions now that the Top 10 is settled!

Four of us submitted picks: Myself, Tono, Adunar, and Murreee (who submitted twice). I had 6/10, Tono and Adunar had 5/10. Murree's original was 5/10 then he added Medvedev when he submitted his revised list (Although it came after Brisbane where Medvedev made the final)

We all we're pretty similar. We all hit on the same 4 (Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Zverev).  Here were the ones we hit on:

Thiem (Everyone but Murreee)

Tsitsipas (Only Murreee, nice job being right on him)

Medvedev (Myself and Murreee, though only if we count his list which came after the start of the year). I remember thinking Medvedev was underrated so glad to have hit on this one

We all missed Berrettini, Monfils, and RBA. Which were all surprising in their own way so no shame in missing those.

Here were the ones we thought would land in the Top 10 who didn't:

Del Potro (Everyone but Adunar) who I believe was rightfully worried about Delpo staying healthy sad

Nishikori (Everyone): Not a terrible miss, just a bad year at the tour level and still finished 13

Khachanov (Everyone but Murreee): We all were pretty high on him after he won Bercy

Cilic (Everyone): Anyone know what he's dealing with? I heard he has some kind of injury but has been playing through it

Coric (Adunar): Not a bad pick, I definitely considered him last year

Anderson (Everyone but me): Injury mulligan for everyone

Kyrgios, Murray, and Shapovalov (Part of Murree's original list but moved off the Jan list)

I think we have a stable 7 guys who will remain in the Top 10 at the end of next season, there is room for maybe three newcomers perhaps to replace Berrettini, RBA and Monfils, although it would be nice to see Matteo back up his great season in 2019 with another one in 2020.

Older guys breaking in or more young ones??...Maybe one of each perhaps, Kei and Felix. wink

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Shapovalov, FAA, Coric, Khachanov... De Minaur?