Topic: THE VADER TROPHY! (Vader League 2019)

A new year means a new thread for us to discuss our teams picks on TDC. smile

I'm sure there will be some interesting picks this season, looking forward to the Arvis breakdown for Vader and Padme each week...don't let us down now Arvie. wink

2018 - Princess Leia Champ
2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew POTY 2014 - Guru Race Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Re: THE VADER TROPHY! (Vader League 2019)

Ah, yes!  Well, as long as I have the time, I'll do it. big_smile

Nice Karlovic pick, Arvis!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

Thanks!  Now I just have to figure out how to hack the site and make it look like I actually did pick Karlovic.

Great start to the new season for Arvis, nice work Arvinator! wink

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Obi Wan R-Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame 2016 - Padme Runner-Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew POTY 2012 - Lord Vader 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

For the record it was Dtrain with Anderson & Karlovic

2018 Roland Garros Yoda Cup, Year End #3
2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup

Brisbane
5 of us wisely used a Nishikori pick here to get that sweet, sweet 250 points, but it was HTS and Murree whose other picks were strong enough to get them the high score here of 360 points.  Spotec went very conservative and finished last with only 65, a gap of 295 points.  However, starting the year conservative is not a bad strategy, it just doesn't feel very good at the time.  This is a year-long game, so keep that in mind when looking at our last place finishers.

Doha
A lucrative tournament indeed, with 9 of us having RBA on our teams.  Dwight, Dtrain, TE, Tenny, and HTS failed to get the winner, with HTS only managing 2 match wins and 40 points total.  Drivers was our high scorer here with 445 points, which means a fairly huge gap between first and last of 405 points!  Whoa!
With so many having the Winner, it was Finalist Berdych that helped make the difference here for 3 who picked him: Drivers, Arvis, and Snolly.  A very sneaky pick, considering he had not played pro tennis for something like 6 months before this.

Pune
Trivia: who's the dude who's named after a train and almost got a PT here?  DTRAIN!
He finished with 3 of the SFists, including the Winner and Finalist, for a grand total of 490 points.  Really impressive!  To put that in perspective: that's a gap of 105 over 2nd place Dwight and 195 over 3rd place BHP.  Good grief.  HTS finished last with only 110, 380 points behind the leader.
Could Dtrain's effort here be enough to have him starting the year as Vader frontrunner?

Vader Standings
1. Arvis: 1030
2. Murree: -25
3. Dtrain: -115
4. Tono: -130
5. Drivers: -190

Arvis finished 3rd, 2nd, and 6th in the 3 tournaments and that was enough to land him in first overall.  Insert mindblow.gif here.
But again, the AO is coming up, and the Vader season doesn't truly begin until that tournament is over.

Great work Arvis, thanks for the summary! smile

Hey, can we tweak the programming on TDC to allow me to take 8 Vader players here?  Just me, and just for this tournament.  Please and thank you.  #hopeful

Haha...8 might not be enough Arvis. wink

in that case can we tweak it to where i can take 16? LOL
I could really use the help. #idontknowwhatimdoing

Auckland
Well, well, well.  Johnny Incognito wins his first Vader tournament back from (mental) injury with a prescient Sandgren pick.  Nicely done, Johnny!  That pick got him a total of 295 points, beating 2nd place BHP by 55 and FOUR last place entrants who managed no points at all.  Fun.

Sydney
Adunar and Tenedab got the win here with a pretty impressive 405 points, which included the winner and a SFist.  They both beat 3rd place Murree by essentially one match win.  Last place went to Edu, who only managed 40 points total, losing 365 points to our winners.

Vader Standings - Week 2
1. Murree: 1415 ↑25, ↑1 rank
2. Tono: -150 ↓20 ↑2 ranks
3. BHP: -255 NEW
4T. Drivers: -285 ↓95
4T. Adunar: -285 NEW
Arvis knocked off

Unlike Arvis, who went from #1 to off the board, Murree followed up his excellent Week 1 with an excellent Week 2!  Let's see how Murree does at the AO!

Dwight and Snolly avoided Anderson in Vader!  Great job, you two!

Yes, nice job Charles and Snolly, will we have more upsets before the second week?

Everyone's Vader teams are hilarious

Yep, not the normal high results at a GS that we are used to eh Arvis, I think the odd "dart pick" might be worthwhile trying this year at the Slams and a few Masters events. wink

I dropped Berdych for Rafa at the last minute, so I at least did something right

Australian Open

None of us got anywhere near a PT here, but almost all of the Jedi Masters scored pretty well here, with everyone having the winner, Novak, and only 3 leaving off Rafa.  Snollygoster's team was the highest scoring one, as not one single player on his team lost before the 4th round.  But the margins in the Top 10 were extremely close, with Snolly beating T8th players Arvis, TE, and Johnny by only 270, which can easily be overcome in one week.  2nd place Dwight lost to Snolly by only 90.
However, Drivers, Spotec, and BHP all expected that Rafa would not be healthy, so they left him off.  This put BHP in last place, 1290 points behind Snolly.  Mega ouch.  Still, there are 3 more Slams to go and plenty of Masters!

Vader Standings - Week 2
1. Murree: 5560
2. Tono: -150
3. Adunar: -285 ↑1 rank
4. Tenedab: -330 NEW
5. Arvis: -455 BOUNCE BACK
--- BHP, Drivers knocked off ---

Interestingly, Murree, Tono and Adunar did not gain or lose any ground on each other at all over the course of the AO.  Arvis jumped back into the Top 5 thanks to BHP and Drivers getting absolutely torpedoed by Rafa.
Can Murree keep up this January consistency in February?

Thanks Arvis. big_smile

After leading the Vader Competition for 8 consecutive months I must congratulate Tono for taking over the top spot this week - Well done Tono...!!!

I look forward to the battle for 2019 as I do not want to relinquish the Lord Vader Trophy easily..!!!

PS: What is the record for longest consecutive months leading Vader..???

2018 Lord Vader
2018 Yoda Crew Best Newcomer

Well, every season is a new one so no continuity has ever been counted, really.

Nobody has ever retained a Vader title though..

Title list:
2012 Tony
2013 OZ
2014 Adunar
2015 Jamie
2016 Adunar
2017 Dwight
2018 Murree

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Montpellier
Lots of Tsonga pickers here making for lots of points being accumulated by many of us!  Unfortunately, six of us left him off, with Johnny bringing up the rear, achieving only 3 match wins from his 4 players and only 65 total points.  That put him 425 points behind our two winners, Tono and Edu, who were close to a PT.
When asked for a comment, Johnny exclaimed "I can't believe Antoine Hoang didn't win the tournament!"
Tono and Edu's win was less about Tsonga and more about Herbert, as they were the only two to have both finalists on their team.  That's 400 points just between the two of them.

Sofia
Only 3 (Adunar, Arvis, Johnny) failed to have the Winner, Medvedev, on their team here.  But it was Drivers who ended up with the highest score, thanks to her clever Verdasco pick, which is what separated her from the rest of the RBA/Med/Monf pack commonly seen here.  Drivers totaled 430 points, good for 320 over the last place Iceland Bros.

Cordoba
Well... Tenedab had Pella, so that was a cool 150 right there, helping him finish with 195 total.  That means he beat last place Adunar by... (counts on fingers) ...195 points.  That's right: between high-level clay-court experts Fognini, PCB, Andujar, and Cecchinato, Adunar managed zero points.  What a stupid tournament.

Overall Vader Standings
1. Tono: 6240 ↑150, ↑1 rank
2. Tenedab: -180 ↑150, ↑2 ranks
3. Murree: -205 ↓205, ↓2 ranks
4. Edu: -405 NEW
5. Snolly: -480 NEW
--- Adunar, Arvis knocked off ---

Adunar's and Arvis' inability to pick winners last week took them out of the Top 5, to the benefit of Edu and Snolly, who played well.
But the real news is Murree being knocked out of the #1 spot finally!  If anyone was gonna do it, it was gonna be either Tono or Tenedab, who have always excelled in this format.  And wouldn't you know it, BOTH of them are ahead of Murree now.  How long will it last?  Rotterdam could possibly be worth a fortune in points!

Rotterdam
Congrats to the three doofuses who took Monfils!  500 points is a HUGE amount for a Monfils pick, and only 3 players took him.  Dwight and Dtrain supplemented their Monfils pick with Medvedev, getting them a big win worth nearly 1000 points!  Arvis was the other Monfils backer, but he did not have Medvedev.  Last place Johnny continues to go experimental with his picks, getting him a measly total of 270.

Buenos Aires
Perfect Team Alert: Dtrain achieves a rare PT in Buenos Aires!  All four SFists and a grand total of 580 points!  Well done, Dtrain!
A little over half the league had Cecchinato on their teams, leaving the other half high and dry.  Tono and Spotec brought up the rear with 110, which is often a middling score for 250s.

New York
Only three Jedi had Opelka on their teams: Johnny, Dtrain, and HTS.  All three shared the win here with 340 points.  And it's a significant win, too, as literally half the league finished in last place with 90.

Overall Vader Standings
1. Dwight: 7205 NEW (holy crap!)
2. Murree: -60 ↑145, ↑1 rank
3. Dtrain: -95 NEW
4. Tono: -140 ↓140, ↓3 ranks
5. Snolly: -225 ↑255
--- Tenedab, Edu knocked off ---
Dtrain had the winner in all 3 tournaments last week.  I'm curious just how many ranks he jumped in that one week.  Dwight, of course, was arguably even more impressive, jumping right into first place from outside the Top 5!  What a tight Vader race this has been!
Props to Snolly for doing JUST enough to maintain his #5 spot in a carnage week.  Murree, too, was quite impressive as usual, staving off Dwight and Dtrain's mad rush to the top.

Thanks Arvis, always enjoyable summaries to read smile...my lead in Vader lasted only one week I see lol ...I might continue to slide after Rio this week! hmm