Thanks Arvis. Very thorough!

Re: Tennis Draw Challenge 2018 - Results & Discussion

ATP US Open Winner Picks
Novak - 11
Rafa - 5
Feddy - Lexus, Arvis
Delpo - BHP, Aiur

A couple other things of note:
- Besides the two that picked him to win, nobody has Feddy in the semis.
- BHP has Zverev in the final.
- Drivers has Isner in the semis.
- Arvis has Wawa in the semis.
- Aiur has Kei in the semis.

---

WTA US Open winner picks
Halep - 14
Kerber - 4
Sloane - Marco, Tono

Last edited by Arvis (Aug. 28, 2018 1:32pm)

Aiur Wins the US Open by 1 Point!

Even though he failed to accurately predict the winner, Aiur's bracket was so good he still managed to stave off the competition with a final score of 245 points!  Wow!  That's a margin of 83 over whoever that moron is who ended up in last place.  Aiur was not in the Overall Top 5 before this, but could he be now?  How did our bracket leaders fare?  Also, our 2018 Grand Slam Men's Bracket Comp is now over!  And the winner is...

Men's Grand Slam Final Standings
1. Aiur - 884
2. Dwight - 867
3. HTS - 856
4. Tono - 853
5. Edu - 849

Congrats to our Top 5 finishers!  Aiur's lead was dominant!  Incredibly well done, Aiur!
Dwight also did very well, with a decent 11 point cushion over 3rd, but after that the margins were incredibly slim!  Really just the difference of one or two early picks.

ATP Overall
1. Tenedab: 2339
2. Edu: -5 ↑3
3. HTS: -51 ↓11
4. Tono: -72 ↑12 ↑1 rank
5. Adunar: -82 ↓1 ↓1 rank

Tenedab hangs on!  An entire Slam just went by and Tenny yields only a measly 3 points to Edu!  Amazing.  Tono and Adunar continue to jostle each other.

---

Lexus Wins a Topsy-Turvy US Open!
With a final score lower than the last place score on the men's side, Lexus is our US Open women's champ!  Nicely done, Lexy!  He squeaked by Tono by 5 points and defeated last place Murree by 58.  So who is our Champion for Women's Slam brackets...?

Women's Grand Slam Final Standings
1. Tono: 684
2. Edu: 669
3. Adunar: 652
4. Drivers: 635
5. Snolly: 631

Congrats to our 2018 Women's Slam Champion, Tono!  And well done to the rest of the Top 5!

WTA Overall
1. Tono: 2062
2. Edu: -29 ↓14
3. Adunar: -44 ↓25
4. TE: -75 ↓18
5. Tenedab: -96 Bumps Drivers out of the Top 5

Tono has really fortified his lead here, well done.  And look, Tenedab gets into the Top 5 of yet another competition!  Who would have thought? lol

Thanks for the summary Arvis, my first victory in a Grand Slam bracket! This coupled with the previous victory in New Haven, make a chain of two consecutive titles in women that I had not imagined at the start of the season. Apparently the course of the season has been improving my skills to predict the unpredictable WTA.
Congratulations to Aiur for his close victory on the men's side.

There is a problem picking specific K.Pliskova if they play each other. It happened once in the past and even though I picked Kristyna it showed up as Karolina. You cannot tell initially since they look the same(K.Pliskova). I don't know if it can be corrected easily, probably not, since Tom is not readily available.

TE wins Quebec City with 21 and Snolly wins Hiroshima with 38!  No one performed too well in Quebec, but in Hiroshima Snolly was one of only two players to correctly predict Hsieh Su-Wei to win, leading to his very nice point total.  Well done, Snolly!

To put the two tournaments' score differences in perspective, Spotec finished in last in HIroshima with the same score that TE won Quebec City with it.

The real tragedy of this week, though, is that our former 280 leader, BHP, failed to make brackets for either tournament.  T___T
So our 280 standings will be very different.

280 Standings
1. Drivers: 594 ↑2 ranks!
2. Tono: -2 ↑1
3. TE: -5 ↑9 ↑1 rank
4. Murree: -19 Bumps BHP out of the Top 5
5. Edu: -20 ↑7 ↓1 rank

WTA Overall
1. Tono: 2097
2. Edu: -27 ↑2
3. Adunar: -44
4. TE: -71 ↑4
5. Tenedab: -100 ↓4

Wow!!! - Sorry BHP:- but:- it will be good to do well in something this year!!! Thanks for the update Arvis.

Dtrain squeaks out a 1 point win in St. Pete!  One of several to have Thiem winning, Dtrain just barely clipped BHP and Murree for the win with a total of 42 points.  Poor Arvis and TE were 22 points back in last place.  In Metz, though, nobody had either finalist correct, so 20 points was enough to get HTS and Edu the win there.

250s
1. Tenedab: 845
2. Lexus: -54 ↑9
3. BHP: -58 ↑13
4. Edu: -61 ↑15 ↑1 rank
5. Spotec: -71 ↑4 ↓1 rank

A fairly poor week for Tenedab sees the rest of the Top 5 all gain on him, but I don't know if there are enough 250s left to make too much difference here.  Maybe if Tenny forgets about tennis for a week or two?

ATP Overall
1. Edu: 2603 ↑15 ↑1 rank
2. Tenedab: -10 ↓15
3. HTS: -52 ↓1
4. Tono: -78 ↓6
5. Adunar: -95 ↓13

We have a new leader!  Edu takes the ATP Bracket Overall lead!  Can he maintain it??  The pressure is now on, Edu.  Tell your girlfriend to leave you alone.  Tell your client to sit quietly in the back seat and wait.  You have brackets to do, my friend.

---

Tokyo was out biggest bracket last week, but nobody thought Pliskova would win it!  Tenedab, though, did believe that she'd be in the final against Osaka and (big surprise) he was right!  That gets him 38 points and the win, narrowly beating spotec by 1 and last place Murree by 22.
Guangzhou saw Drivers and Snolly dominate, being the only ones to have Qiang Wang winning.  Drivers wins with 30, massacring last place Arvis by 17.  This will go a long way to helping Drivers maintain her 280 lead.
And in Seoul Kiki Bertens was the favorite pick, so there are many high scores here.  But the highest was achieved by Spotec, who managed a massive 43 points, the highest score of the week!  Nicely done, Spotec!  Last place Adunar was 18 points back.

280 Standings
1. Drivers: 658
2. Tono: -21 ↓19
3. TE: -21 ↓16
4. Edu: -26 ↓6 ↑1 rank
5. Lexus: -33 Bumps Murree out of the Top 5

Geez, Drivers.  You really want this 280 title, don't you?

470s
1. Tenedab: 322
2. Adunar: -21 ↓16
3. Edu: -22 ↓6 ↑2 ranks
4. Tono: -23 ↓17 ↓1 rank
5. HTS: -31 ↓17 ↓1 rank

Big jump up the ranks for Edu, but everyone loses ground to Tenedab here.  A couple tournaments ago this was really close!  Not so much now.

WTA Overall
1. Tono: 2173
2. Edu: -2 ↑25
3. Adunar: -50 ↓6
4. TE: -53 ↑18
5. Drivers: -79 Bumps Tenedab out of the Top 5

Wow, could Edu somehow manage to take the Overall away from Tono??  This week will be really important!  Edu could hold both the ATP and WTA bracket leads at the same time!  Wow!

Last edited by Arvis (Sep. 24, 2018 9:00am)

A couple more 250s this week on the ATP side!  How'd we all do?  Considering that they were both won by Qualifiers, I'm going to go ahead and spoil it and say: we all did crap.  Despite, that, though, some of us did less crap; specifically, Edu with 28 points in Chengdu and Aiur with 21 in Shenzhen.  Nice wins, guys!

250s
1. Tenedab: 874
2. Edu: -48 ↑13 ↑2 ranks!
3. Lexus: -54 ↓1 rank
4. BHP: -55 ↑3 ↓1 rank
5. Spotec: -65 ↑6

Wow, Edu has really come on strong in these post-USO 250s.  Nicely done, Edu!  Lexus held his ground in his battle against Tenedab, but let's not pretend we don't all notice BHP inching his way forward bit by bit.  Pretty sneaky, BHP.

ATP Overall
1. Edu: 2654
2. Tenedab: -24 ↓14
3. HTS: -58 ↓6
4. Tono: -90 ↓12
5. Adunar: -103 ↓8

Edu gains on everybody!  After just snagging the #1 spot last week, Edu comes through to defend it in a big way!

---

Wuhan was a huge tournament but it's more of the same in the WTA as the big seeds just fail and fail and fail.  We have many Sabalenka believers here, but none of them thought she'd keep playing well enough to win.  But win she did!  Makes you wonder if she'll dominate 2019 or have a huge letdown.  Either way, TE did enough in his bracket to manage a paltry 41 points and get the win.
Over in Tashkent, Tenedab backed Gasparyan, seemingly out of nowhere, and was rewarded handsomely in that way that only Tenedab seems privileged to be.  He managed 27, which was a full 8 points above 2nd place, making him the only one to even get above 20 here.

280 Standings
1. Drivers: 671
2. TE: -22 ↓1 ↑1 rank
3. Tono: -27 ↓6
4. Edu: -31 ↓5
5. Lexus: -32 ↑1

Congrats to Drivers for (basically) gaining on everyone and maintaining her impressive form in 280s!

1000/900 Standings
1. TE: 565
2. Edu: -19 ↓11
3. Adunar: -32 ↓19
4. Tenedab: -34 ↓10 ↑1 rank
5. Tono: -38 ↓10 ↓1 rank

TE may have gotten a "paltry" score in Wuhan, but it was more than enough to solidify his lead here.  Our FINAL WTA 1000/900 tournament, Beijing, has begun!  Will TE do enough to hang on??  His Winner pick, Kerber, is still in the tournament, and so is his runner-up. Although his closest competitor, Edu, is currently ahead of him, he's lost his runner-up.  It's going to come down to the wire here!

WTA Overall
1. Edu: 2213
2. Tono: -1 ↓3
3. TE: -36 ↑17
4. Adunar: -48 ↑2
5. Tenedab & Drivers: -68  (wow)

Edu's done it!  He currently holds the #1 spot in both ATP and WTA Overall brackets!  Incredible!  Even if he doesn't hold on here (it's just a 1 point lead and Beijing is happening right now, lol) this is still an impressive achievement.  Congratulations, Edu!

Last edited by Arvis (Oct. 1, 2018 9:24am)

Wow Edu! Congrats! (Tenedab actually bumped me out of the top 5, again! It’s level today owing to the Beijing scores.) Tomorrow I’ll be back in 6th!

I hope tomorrow you will win

My hobby is tennis.

There are three WDs in Hong Kong, so they shuffled the draw. Good luck fixing it!

tenedab wrote:

There are three WDs in Hong Kong, so they shuffled the draw. Good luck fixing it!

Sounds complex! Will contact the ‘crew’

Drivers wrote:
tenedab wrote:

Sounds complex! Will contact the ‘crew’

The clean-up crew?

Done. Was easy since we knew all the qualifiers and LL.
Problem arise when there are new unknown players in the draw.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Great job, Arnie="THE CLEAN-UP CREW"!

Tenedab and Lexus are our winners for Tokyo and Beijing, respectively!  Nice job, guys.  The two tournaments were pretty similar: the majority had the runner-up correct, but not the finalist.  This led to fairly small margins.

500s
1. Edu: 407
2. HTS: -2 ↑3
3. Tenny: -5 ↑3
4. Lexus: -13 ↑7
5. Tono: -15 ↓7

Edu hangs on to yet another lead by a thread!  What a year he is having.  Vienna and Basel, in a few weeks, will mark the end of this competition.  Can Edu hang on for the win?

ATP Overall
1. Edu: 2712
2. Tenedab: -18 ↑6
3. HTS: -54 ↑4
4. Tono: -91 ↓1
5. Adunar: -98 ↑5

Uh oh. Is Tenny getting in position to make his move?

---

Well, Wozniacki finally got healthy and won Beijing for a huge chunk of ranking points.  But nobody here predicted that so scores were lower than you would think for a tournament of this caliber.  Still, Drivers got the win with 63, which is a pretty good score!  Nice job, Drivers!

FINAL 1000/900 Standings
1. TE: 645
2. Edu: -5
3. Adunar: -14
4. Tenedab: -28
5. Drivers: -29

Congrats to our 2018 WTA 1000/900 Bracket Champion, Tennis Elbow!  Edu came close in his attempt to win every possible thing in the world, but TE just barely hung on!  Well done!  Congrats also to Drivers who managed to bump Tono off the leaderboard in the last tournament.

WTA Overall
1. Edu: 2253
2. Tono: -11 ↓10
3. Adunar: -45 ↑3 ↑1 rank
4. TE: -49 ↓13 ↓1 rank
5. Drivers: -63 ↑5

Edu gains yet more separation. But Tono can still turn this late-season slump around!  Tenedab shockingly falls off the leaderboard in the face of Drivers' onslaught!

Hooray! Boy, that was close, Edu was one win away. Maybe he'll get a consolation or two this season?

2018 Roland Garros Yoda Cup
2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup 2013 Winner of Fantasy Tennis Tour

TennisElbow wrote:

Hooray! Boy, that was close, Edu was one win away. Maybe he'll get a consolation or two this season?

Congrats TE especially as Edu seems to have plenty to look forward to!

Congrats TE and Drivers!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion

dwightcharles wrote:

Congrats TE and Drivers!

Thanks Charles! Hanging on by a thread in the overall rankings!

Drivers wins again!  What an amazing post Slam season she's been having!  She beat Adunar by 1 point for the win in Shanghai, totaling 105 points.

R2D2 Crown (ATP 1000) - Edu Hangs On!
1. Edu: 725
2. Dwight: -10 ↓8
3. Adunar: -17 ↑4
4. Drivers: -28 ↑5 ↑1 rank
5. HTS: -33 ↑4 ↓1 rank

Going into this tournament, Dwight was 2 points from taking the ATP 1000 lead from Edu, but Edu held him off in fine fashion!  What will happen in Paris?  Can Edu hang on?

ATP Overall
1. Edu: 2808
2. Tenedab: -43 ↓25
3. HTS: -58 ↓4
5. Adunar: -96 ↑2
4. Tono: -105 ↓14

Wow.  Can Edu be stopped??

---

We had THREE WTA280s last week!  So a lot could potentially happen!  And who were our winners?
Edu and Tenedab won Hong Kong with 35 points!  Nobody expected Yastremska to win, but a few of us had at least one finalist correct.
In Tianjin, Snollygoster had a pretty impressive win with 47 points!  One of only 3 to have Garcia as champ.
And Linz was a complete disaster, but Spotec still managed 22 points to get the win.  How will this affect our leaderboard?

280 Standings
1. Drivers: 746
2. Tono: -26 ↑1 ↑1 rank
3. Edu: -30 ↑1 ↑1 rank
3. TE: -33 ↓11 ↓2 ranks
5. Lexus: -43 ↓11

There's so much going on here!  And there's only one 280 tournament left!  Drivers is BY FAR the favorite for this title now, as making up over 20+ points on her in one tournament is next to impossible (especially since both she and Tono have Goerges in the final in Luxembourg).  Hang in there, Drivers!  The finish line is in sight!  Nicely done!

WTA Overall
1. Edu: 2325
2. Tono: -13 ↓2
3. Adunar: -51 ↓6
4. TE: -62 ↓13
5. Drivers: -67 ↓4

Oh boy.  Edu has done it again.  He's put himself in perfect position to win this prestigious crown!  Tono still has his fingernails on it, though!  Can Tono somehow gain 14 points on Edu in Moscow and Luxembourg and steal this title away??  GAH THIS IS SO EXCITING!

When does next year tdc start, hoping to do better and be somewhere in the rankings!  Been distracted with the death of my father Vincent R. Orf who died April, 14, 2018 from Congested Heart Failure He was 90.  He is now 91 his birthday is August 23, 1927  I miss him so much.  I had foot surgery on Monday September 24, 2018 my 3 toes on the right foot are curved in and I have a hammer toe on the 2nd toe.  The Surgeon placed a wired rod on my 4th foot too keep it straightened.  Got the stitches out last Monday and on October 29, 2018 will get the wired rod removed,  then I will have to learn how to walk in a shoe again.  I will be uncomfortable but I am fighting to get back to normal.  But I am having fun being on a mini vacation from Work.   Still cannot believe that I am still competing with the Yoda Crew!  Congrats too the newbies Muree and Lexus on a fine season also congrats too Tenny who has been tearing it up along with TE, Drivers, Edu, BHP, Tono, Adunar, Snolly, HTS, Wimby, Arvis, and the rest who I have not mentioned!

Hi Dtrain,

So sorry for your loss. My sincere condeleances to you and your family. It seems that your father was a good man and that he wil be missed.

Wish you a good recovery, hope your foot gets better and better. And don't forget that your health is far more important than fantasy tennnis!

The 2019 season begins first week of the year, so basically blink and we are there. Don't forget the first week has some sunday deadlines not to be missed.

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Sincere condolences DTrain, losing a parent is always tough. Looking forward to competing with you next year. Thanks for the reminder about those early starts Adunar.