Topic: Yoda Crew Player of the Year 2018

Thought this was a good point to post on the Player of the Year and remind people of the rules we agreed/voted on at the end of last year. We had to tighten up the rules to deal with closely matched players, which we may well need this year.

Guiding Principle: The Player of the Year is the most consistent player of the season. Players are therefore rewarded for success in all competitions, even if they don't win a title.

Points scoring:

Yoda Guru Race: 5-4-3-2-1 for Top 5 finishers

Yoda Champions: 2 for each slam win

TDC competitions (Mens & Womens Brackets, Mens and Womens Teams, known as Obi-Wan, Rey, Vader, Padme):

5-3-1 for Top 3 finishers in each

Further:

In the event of a tie in these competitions, the tied players will share points (e.g. 5-5-1 where 2 players are tied for 1st place in Obi-Wan, 5-3-1-1 where there is a tie for 3rd place and so on)

If, after this points allocation, there is a tie for Player of the Year, the UFTR system (Ultimate Fantasy Tennis Rankings) will be used as a tie-breaker to decide the winner (most likely world #1 will be the Player of the Year)

2018 Roland Garros Yoda Cup
2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup 2013 Winner of Fantasy Tennis Tour

Re: Yoda Crew Player of the Year 2018

2018 Race

After the US Open and the conclusion of the Yoda Cup the standings are:

Marco19 9
tenedab 4
TennisElbow 4
Murreee 3
Mike 2
Tono 1

Marco has a big lead but the twist in the tale is that he has not competed regularly in TDC and so will not score any more points this season.
It is therefore possible that he will be overtaken by the end of the season, and I would suggest that anyone getting into double figures this year has a good chance of claiming POTY.

2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year

Great job Jaimie!

I can't believe how far out of it I am this year - I've been completely tone-deaf to the pulse of the game this year, it seems.

I still think the tied points allocation should split the available points, eg. 4-4-1 (instead of 5-5-1) so that extra points are not added into the system.  Finishing tied for first is not as unique as finishing there alone on top.  This is done in golf.  It's easy to see this makes sense if the points were dollars.  There's only so much money in the purse.

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion

Thanks Jamie.

You make a very valid point re the points allocation Charles, maybe the Crew can rehash it again. lol

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

I'd say it's hard to argue with what Charles said. Sharing a win is not the same as winning alone...

Champion: '16 Padme Cup, '16 Roland Garros Yoda Cup,' 16 Leia Tiara, '15 Lando Calrissian's Ring (250's), '15 GQ "The Green Anackin", '16 Trophy Case Award, '17 BB-8 Cup
Runner Up: '16 Rey Saber, '13 US Open Yoda Cup, '14 R2D2 Phoenix Crown.

I am my own daughter!

Well guys, I hear what you're saying, but we had a debate and a vote on this last year which I checked on before I wrote the post, and the Crew voted 6-3 to allocate maximum points in a tie. I don't know if we really want to go through that again, are you joking Tony??? sad

I personally voted for maximum points - I see a win as a win - you should still be Lord Vader or Obi Wan Master etc. I don't agree with 'you're Lord Vader but not quite as much a Lord Vader as other people.' So in that way I don't equate it with money.