Topic: ATP Tennis Calendar

Hey Everyone!

Was thinking about the ATP Tour and current tennis calendar. Tennis has one of the longest seasons in sports and with numerous injuries of late and complaints by some current stars (looking at you Rafa) that the season is too long, I've been thinking about what changes could be made to improve the tennis calendar.

The current season runs from New Years into mid-November. I'm trying to think of how the tour could be changed for the better while retaining most of it's current form. Though the various governing bodies and interests in tennis (ATP, ITF, Davis Cup, the federations, contractual agreements with individual tournaments, etc) limit radical change, I am curious what proposals and ideas people would have to improve the season.

For example, one idea I've long thought the ATP should do is to turn the Asian swing into indoor tournaments and eliminate the European indoor season (Bercy, Basel, Vienna, etc). This would shave a few weeks off the season and allow for a longer off season.

What does everyone think? What changes would you make if you could to the Tour calendar? Feel free to think radically in an ideal world. Would you add/eliminate any Masters? Extend or shorten the clay or grass seasons? What to do about Davis Cup?

Re: ATP Tennis Calendar

I think what would really help is finding the guy holding a gun to Rafa's head forcing him to play all these tournaments.

Well...the DC needs to be revamped for so many reasons. Or the Laver Cup will quickly surpass it. If it hasn't already. The event should be a compressed format...long weekend...packed full of great tennis...entertainment...weather and of course food.

16 Wimby 14 US Open Yoda Cup
16 Wimby 14 RG Alpha Cup
12, 13 & 16 King Droid
15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

Milo wrote:

Well...the DC needs to be revamped for so many reasons. Or the Laver Cup will quickly surpass it. If it hasn't already. The event should be a compressed format...long weekend...packed full of great tennis...entertainment...weather and of course food.

Completely agree that Davis Cup needs to be revamped. The new proposal by the ITF to change Davis Cup to a one week event at a neutral venue at the end of the year is a good sign that the powers that be in the sport at least recognize the issues of the event.

The major criticism from players so far seems to be removing the event from the countries participating. Even though I am sure there are many awesome locations which could host the event, a neutral site would lose the atmosphere you get now in host countries (like last weekend's tie in Valencia). This doesn't mean it shouldn't be done by any means. The way the tournament is structured now isn't working and logistically it is impossible to do a condensed event without having one neutral site.

Laver Cup's future will be interesting. I don't think anyone expected it to be as successful as it was last year. The fact it's only one weekend instead of four across the season certainly made it easier to attract top stars. I just wonder what happens once Federer and Nadal aren't playing anymore. I feel like the success was driven by it's stars and their buy-in to the event which trickled down to everyone else taking it seriously, but what happens when two of the game's brightest stars aren't driving it. Will it be entrenched enough by that point is the question.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how the Laver Cup evolves, I'm not sure it will become as popular as the Ryder Cup in golf but maybe that is what they are aiming for.

Too many clay events on the ATP tour I reckon, indoor is the way to go because at least you know there will be tennis played unless the lights go out. lol.......more grass court tourneys would be good too, be nice to have four completely different surfaces to challenge the players too.

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Tono wrote:

Too many clay events on the ATP tour I reckon, indoor is the way to go because at least you know there will be tennis played unless the lights go out. lol.......more grass court tourneys would be good too, be nice to have four completely different surfaces to challenge the players too.

I completely agree with the clay events. I like indoor but I actually would probably cut that part of the season down so the season can end earlier. Ideally, I'd cut the European indoor swing and would like to see the Asian swing convert to indoor tournaments (Though this is easier said than done).

I think about this topic pretty often.

I would :
-add an extra week before the AO with a 500 like dubai in the middle.
-add an extra week for grass court season with a 1000.
-remove the clay court tournaments after wimbledon. Some of them could be used to stack the clay court season. This would bring the US open closer to wimbledon.
-hopefully these things make the season 1 or 2 weeks shorter. I dont think i would cancel anything after the US. Maybe St petersburg and metz could be moved either in february or after shanghai as this would make more sense for the location.
-DC tp become a world championship would not be a bad idea. That way you can get rid of these 3 weeks during the season.Je

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion
Runner-Up: '13 Yoda Cup Guru, '15 & '13 Lord Vader, '15 Naboo Champion
Yoda Crew player of the year: '16 & '14
YC Wins: '12 & '13 Wimbledon