Topic: Tennis Draw Challenge 2018 - Results & Discussion

A new tennis season deserves a new thread for our TDC discussion I reckon.

Looking forward to the Arvis breakdown of picks again in 2018, all the best for the year everyone and let’s hope we have another great year of tennis and fantasy tennis. smile

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year
2012 - Lord Vader, 2011 - Wimbledon Yoda Cup

Re: Tennis Draw Challenge 2018 - Results & Discussion

Thanks Tony, hoping Arvis and Charles check in, it would be a shame if they didn't compete this year.

2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year
2016 Obi Wan Master, Year End #2
2015 Lord Vader, Roland Garros Yoda Cup
2013 Winner of Fantasy Tennis Tour

TennisElbow wrote:

Thanks Tony, hoping Arvis and Charles check in, it would be a shame if they didn't compete this year.

It looks like they missed the first week

TennisElbow wrote:

Thanks Tony. Yes, real shame if Arvis, Charles, and, DTrain are not onboard.

Last edited by Drivers (Jan. 1, 2018 1:16pm)

Charles and Arvis both seemed keen for the season to start so I assume that they couldn’t make their picks for some reason, not sure about Dtrain though or Mike or Marco?

With a number of upsets happening in week one maybe it’s part of their master plan to bypass week one altogether. ;-)
Could work a treat in Vader and Padme but not so good in Obi Wan and Rey.

2017 - Rey Saber Champ, Padme Champ, Captain Phasma Champ, Obi Wan Runner Up, BIG 5 Career Slam, Inaugural Yoda Crew Hall Of Fame Inductee, 2016 Padme Runner Up
2015 - Obi Wan Master, King Droid, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year, 2014 Yoda Cup Guru Race Runner Up
2013 - Guru Race Winner (2014 Yoda Cup Guru), US Open Yoda Cup, Yoda Crew Player Of The Year

Yeah, I had company over during the weekend, so I missed the quick deadline.

Well Arvis don't worry - You won't be far behind me...

With Murray, Shapovalov, Muguruza, Garcia, Busta, Ostapenko, Berdych all out early - I will barely get any points..!!!

Plus I wasted a team pick on Garcia, Berdych and Busta...!!!

Dtrain, Marco and Mike - Get ready for next week...

Week one always produces interesting results, good week to try some things, unfortunately the ones I tried didn’t work lol
Dolgo was worth the risk against Schwartzman, nice pick there Jamie.

I fear that this hip injury might be the beginning of the end for Andy at the top of world tennis, he has said that surgery is not the option he wants to take, could be career ending perhaps.

Week one of the tour requires some intelligent picking (and some luck). Quite a few clever picks out there from the Yoda Crew this week. The only tournament where I went obvious/big was Doha and I got screwed there.

I hope our absent friends return next week, I think Arvis and Charles will. Charles demonstrated last year that you can miss a week and still end up ranked #1. Nice of him to give us a head start this year though wink

2017 Obi Wan Master, Wimbledon Yoda Cup, Year End #2, Yoda Crew Player of the Year

Appears I didn't have either intelligent picking or luck..!!!

Murreee wrote:

Appears I didn't have either intelligent picking or luck..!!!

Nothing wrong with your picks, sometimes things just don't go your way.
That's one of the great things about fantasy tennis, Murreee, there's always next week!

Three tournaments next week start Sunday, January 7. Somebody may need to adjust selection times.

Done, thanks.

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion
Runner-Up: '13 Yoda Cup Guru, '15 & '13 Lord Vader, '15 Naboo Champion
Yoda Crew player of the year: '16 & '14
YC Wins: '12 & '13 Wimbledon

Don't forget to make your picks NOW guys!

TennisElbow wrote:

Don't forget to make your picks NOW guys!

Stress!  smile

Last edited by Drivers (Jan. 6, 2018 3:11pm)

Dang Aussies & Kiwis with their obscure timezone. wink

'11, '12, '17 Yoda Cup US Open Champ
'17 Golden Droid & C3PO Trophy Champ
'12 GSFT US Open Champ

Is there a way to see overall point total for the Jedi Masters group on TDC - I can see individual tournaments but not yearly cumulative for our group..???

The LL (lucky loser) stuff is killing our brackets - When a LL is announced after the deadline but before play begins there should be a way to update our brackets...

I would never have picked Witthoeft to win the Sydney bracket (seriously sick about this)...

Somebody needs to update my bracket to Gavrilova...

Once the tournament has started we cannot do anything. Reopening picks or allowing changes would not be fair.

I know for a fact how frustrating it can be. At least your pick is replaced by a lucky loser. Last year sone people won thanks to that!!

You can also see it from another point of view: guessing who is really going to play, withdraw or tank takes a lot of strategy and study. Something to be cautious and well thought.

Champion: '16 Rey Saber, '16 & '14  Lord Vader, '14 King Droid, '14 Naboo Champion
Runner-Up: '13 Yoda Cup Guru, '15 & '13 Lord Vader, '15 Naboo Champion
Yoda Crew player of the year: '16 & '14
YC Wins: '12 & '13 Wimbledon

I disagree to the "would not be fair" comment - everyone equally should be able to repick for a player who drops out before playing the first match... Not looking for any advantage... A fix here would be best (and fair) for everyone...

I had Goerges winning based on study and strategy - That's why it is frustrating... This isn't just one round problem - I had Goerges all the way to the championship... I followed her championship last week and final against Wozniacki - There was no indication that she would withdraw...

Same thing happened last week in ATP bracket... And many times last year... I feel it is worth a look...

Thanks for hearing me out...

Murreee wrote:

Is there a way to see overall point total for the Jedi Masters group on TDC - I can see individual tournaments but not yearly cumulative for our group..???

Yep, just click on Overall at the bottom of the page, under cumulative group standings.

Murreee wrote:

I disagree to the "would not be fair" comment - everyone equally should be able to repick for a player who drops out before playing the first match... Not looking for any advantage... A fix here would be best (and fair) for everyone...

I had Goerges winning based on study and strategy - That's why it is frustrating... This isn't just one round problem - I had Goerges all the way to the championship... I followed her championship last week and final against Wozniacki - There was no indication that she would withdraw...

Same thing happened last week in ATP bracket... And many times last year... I feel it is worth a look...

Thanks for hearing me out...

There are a lot of issues with this one, which we have discussed a few times. Here's a few points:

We would have to reopen picks while other matches are taking place. We couldn't stop people changing their other match picks. The 'not fair' issue Ad refers to is, some people would change their picks if they reopened, others wouldn't. So, the mechanics of the game make it difficult to do as you suggest.

Goerges played a full week last week, so there was always a chance she wouldn't play, or not get far. As Ad says, assessing those risks is part of the game.

For the Teams game, you won't have wasted a Goerges pick, you get Witthoeft instead. And you never know, she may win a match or two for you. The most annoying thing for me is someone getting lucky with their replacement player and doing better than they would have done in the first place.

Players dropping out is part of the game, and we all get hit over the course of a season. But of course, it is REALLY FRUSTRATING when it happens.

The other option I have suggested, is to leave the picks open during the first day's play. These issues would occur less frequently, because it would give time for withdrawals to be announced and for us to adjust our picks. But it would mean we would all 'see' the first day's results which raises its own issues. When I have suggested this in the past, it has not been universally popular.

Anyway Murreee, hope this explains some of the issues, and commiserations.

TE, you have a nice team in WTA Sydney with blind pick of 3 Qs. It's unusual but may work nicely for you.

Thanks guys...

And I understand that reopening the portal would cause many problems - and that waiting till after the tournament starts would cause problems also...

I will keep learning throughout my rookie season...

tenedab wrote:

TE, you have a nice team in WTA Sydney with blind pick of 3 Qs. It's unusual but may work nicely for you.

Thanks Tenedab, I have my fingers crossed, and if it doesn't, I haven't wasted big picks in Sydney.
The real angst is going to come next week when we have to pick 7 women for the AO! hmm