Steve Darcis (yep, on clay)
Adrian Menendez-Maceiras
Filip Krajinovic (indoor)
Ricardas Berankis
Joao Domingues (23, #201, Portugal)
Marton Fucsovics
Jiri Vesely
Paolo Lorenzi
Felix Auger-Aliassime (only 16 years old!)
Oscar Otte (23, #170, Germany)
Cedrik Marcel-Stebe
Damir Dzumhur
Federico Delbonis

Grass
Yuichi Sugita
Dudi Sela
Marton Fucsovics

Re: Challenger Chat 2017

ITF Women's $100k+ Champs from April til Now

Hard
Qiang Wang

Clay
Zheng Saisai
Beatriz Haddad-Maia
Marketa Vondrousova
Jasmine Paolini (21, #132, Italy)
Aleksandra Krunic

Grass
Magdalena Rybarikova x2
Zarina Diyas

ITF Women's $80k Champs from April til Now

Hard
Magdalena Rybarikova

Clay
Olga Govortsova

ITF Women's $60k Champs from April til Now

Hard
Basak Eraydin (22, #195, Turkey)
Magdalena Rybarikova
Laura Robson
Lin Zhu
Mihaela Buzarnescu (29, #213, Romania)

Clay
Kristie Ahn (25, #116, USA)
Richel Hogenkamp x2
Madison Brengle x2
Polona Hercog
Mihaela Buzarnescu (she had never won anything more than a $25k in her career, now she has TWO $60k trophies)
Daniela Seguel (24, #189, Chile)

Very interesting Arvis...great resource on who might be ready to bust a move on the big stage.

20 Queen Droid & BB-8 Cup Wimbledon 14 US Open Yoda Cup16 Wimbledon 14 French Open Alpha Cup12, 13 & 16
King Droid 15 Naboo Cup 14 Lord Vader- RU

With Felix, Denis, Bianca, and Francoise this is by far the most exciting crop of prospects Canada has ever had - not to mention Raonic, Pospisil and Bouchard!

Go Canada!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

Thanks a lot Arvis.

Yes Charles, Canada has some potentially top class players in the pipeline. The next 10 years are promising for you! It is the opposite in switzerland haha

2016: Rey Saber, Lord Vader, Supreme Jedi, Yoda Crew player of the year
2014: Lord Vader, King Droid, Naboo Champion, Yoda Crew player of the year
2013: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion, Yoda Cup Guru Runner-up
2012: Yoda Cup Wimbledon champion

Claire Liu still stomped Bianca at the French, Dwight.  I refuse to let you overlook that without remark.  >____>

Bianca for President!!

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion, 2018 Big Fat Nothing

Claire Liu wins Nike Junior Roehampton without dropping a set.  Now Junior World #2, seeded #3 at Wimby.

Claire Liu into her second straight Junior Slam final!  Only dropped one set so far.

And she beat another Canadian on the way there... 16 year old Carson Branstine...
Go Claire!!

Branstine, of course, the one person who took a set off her.

The Canucks are coming!

And Claire Liu is Wimbledon Juniors champion!!  AAAAAAAAGH!!!  lol

When she was up 6-2, 5-4, 40-0 and serving and ended up losing the set, I thought I was going to cry.  When she finally got over the line on her 5th Championship Point, I did shed a few tears.  I have been waiting 2 years for her to get the international recognition she deserves, and this will do it for sure.  Now finally - FINALLY - when I search the news for Claire Liu, it won't just be a bunch of articles about frickin' Whitney Osuigwe.

Her opponent, Ann Li, a 17-year-old Chinese American like Claire, played really impressively in streaks.  While Claire gets winners through point construction and movement, drawing out easy balls and putting them away, Ann tends to just obliterate the ball any time it's in her wheelhouse.  Mentally, too, she seems to be a rock, as there was no sign whatsoever, to my eyes, that she was at all affected by the occasion.  She just seemed locked in the entire time, calmly playing her tennis.  Those 3 MPs she saved in the 2nd set, she didn't do anything differently than she had all game.  She just played her tennis.
Unfortunately for Ann Li, she doesn't appear to have an overwhelming power on her groundstrokes, so her play style won't work for her as well on other surfaces as it did here.  She'll have to add a bit more oomph on those strokes to really become a consistent threat.  Speaking of consistent, that's her other major weakness: she was hitting UEs for days out there.  And, indeed, on the fifth MP, it was a Li UE into the net that ended the match.  So while she'll go on really impressive streaks of UE free play where winners are flying from her racquet left and right, she'll need to somehow balance her need for more power and her need for more consistency.  Won't be easy.  We'll see what the future holds for her.
EDIT: Turns out Ann Li had never won even a single match at a Junior Grand Slam before this.  Now she won 5 in a row.  I hope that this isn't just a one time thing for her, but even if it is, what a memory to make.

As for Claire, there's no analysis of her game.  My heart is entirely too involved, and watching her was an agony at times.  Because of that, I tend to see only the flaws.
But I'll say this: that 3rd set was an incredible example of the power of belief.  She never stopped believing she would win, believing in her game, and believing in her training.  I fully expected her to have a letdown, but instead she just came out swinging at the start of the 3rd and just kept plugging away.  And I am just so thrilled for her and her future in this sport.

Two years I waited.  And it will be years more before I get to see her compete consistently on the WTA tour.  And even then, who knows if she has the gifts necessary to even be a consistent Top 50?  But for today, at least, the world finally belongs to Claire Liu.

Last edited by Arvis (Jul. 15, 2017 11:08am)

Inspiring, Arvis.  Nicely written!

Thanks, Dwight, I really appreciate your active engagement in this thread. smile

Last edited by Arvis (Jul. 15, 2017 9:37pm)

Interesting, Arvis...especially the part about Ann Li, who seems to have come from nowhere. 

I respect your commitment to Claire Liu and she has done a great thing now that no one can take away from her.  But I have to wonder about the future of Hingis-type players when power is becoming more important every day in women's tennis.

You put that very diplomatically, Don, but I have the exact same reservations about her game.  Serena has tons of power, of course.  The most ever in history, probably.  But taking her out, all the women's Slam champs of this decade have an element of power in their games, save one: Francesca Schiavone.  Even Kerber is able to thump a few per set.

It's not like Claire COULDN'T wind up and smack one; she did a few times, especially on backhand returns.  It's just that she didn't.  I'm hoping to see improvement in that area over the years.  Her court awareness, execution under pressure, and point construction, though, are already pro level, and her movement and shot selection aren't far behind.  Her ability to improvise needs work.

The whole match is up on youtube if anyone wants to waste some time on it. tongue

ATP Challenger Winners, July/August

Hard
Viktor Galovic (26, #244, Croatia - Up from #491 at the start of July)
Akira Santillan
Blaz Kavcic (twice, now back in Top 100 for first time since June '15)
Egor Gerasimov
Denis Shapovalov
Cameron Norrie
Yen-Hsun Lu (twice)
Jaume Munar (20, #208, Spain - ATP Next-Gen Finals contender)
Michael Mmoh
Alexander Bublik
Sergiy Stakhovsky
Cedrik-Marcel Stebe

Clay
Filip Krajinovic (twice)
Nicola Kuhn (17, #229, Span - Up from #501 at the start of July)
Dusan Lajovic
Nicolas Jarry (twice)
Laslo Djere
Alexei Vatutin (24, #182, Russia)
Matteo Berrettini (21, #139, Italy - Started 2017 at #437, now a contender for ATP Next-Gen Finals)
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez
Roberto Carballes Baena (twice
Calvin Hemery (22, #177, France)
Andrej Martin
Pedro Sousa (twice)
Guido Pella
Victor Estrella Burgos
Elias Ymer
Ricardo Ojeda Lara (24, #180, Spain)

I wonder when the next time Shapovalov will play a challenger will be.

My thoughts exactly!

2016:-Diamond Droid and Captain Plasma Helmet Champ.
2018:-Ruby Droid and Jar Jar Dartboard Champ.
2019:-Yoda Crew Most Improved Player. 

ITF Women's 80k Champs - July/August

Grass
Tatjana Maria (30, #61, Germany)

Hard
Shuai Zhang (28, #26, China - has won two Tour level titles in her career)
Maryna Zanevska (24, #105, Ukraine - her first title at this level)

Clay
Johanna Larsson (29, #66, Sweden - has won one Tour level title)
Jana Cepelova (24, #87, Slovakia)

ITF Women's 80k Champs - July/August

Hard
Bernarda Pera (22, #145, Croatia - had never won above a $25k, beat Kristyna Pliskova in final)

Clay
Marketa Vondrousova (18, #67, Czech - took Kuznetsova to 3rd set TB at USO 1R)

ITF Women's 60k Champs - July/August

Hard
Cristiana Ferrando (22, #279, Italy)
Grace Min (23, #167, USA)
Amanda Anisimova (16, #182, USA - Lost 3 finals this year before finally getting this one... via walkover)
Sofia Kenin (18, #139, USA)
Valeria Savinykh (26, #284, Russia - started year #449, best title before this was a $15k)

Clay
Sofya Zhuk (17, #147, Russia)
Katerina Kozlova (23, #118, Ukraine)
Mihaela Buzarnescu (29, #133, Romania - still quietly having her career year. This makes her 3rd $60k, also qualified for her first ever Slam at the USO)
Dayana Yastremska (17, #272, Ukraine - made some small waves at WTA Istanbul earlier this year)
Tamara Korpatsch (22, #138, Germany - won the title after coming through qualies)

Not exactly a challenger...
but Cori Gauff is in the USO girl's SF and she's born 2004.  She's only 13 years old!  Wowsers!!

edit:  Gauff is now in the Final of the USO girls!

Last edited by dwightcharles (Sep. 9, 2017 4:21pm)