Topic: Is there any consistent WTA player not named Williams..!!!

It appears that there is no WTA player who can consistently play across tournaments not named Williams..!!

Who will the next consistent champion be..???

Re: Is there any consistent WTA player not named Williams..!!!

The WTA right now is much more surface based than the ATP. Even Venus has lost R16 at 2 of the last 4 slams, albeit respectable losses.

Best of 3 definitely makes upsets more likely which hurts the top women's players. It's harder to pull an upset in Bo5, since you need to sustain the level for longer.

The current level of consistency and hegemony of 4 dominant players is defintely unusual and partly the result of the homogenization of the surfaces in the last 15 yrs. The ATP hasn't always been like this (think 2000-2003) and at different points the WTA has been more consistent (Think the era of Martina/Evert or Graf/Seles). The WTA is in a transitional point with Serena out but eventually the next great consistent player will emerge.

Personally I actually think the current situation of parity is really enjoyable. Every major is wide open which makes it more fun trying to figure out what will happen and makes each match feel more meaningful. A match like Halep-Konta today feels more meaningful since you feel like each player has a real chance to win the title, which is taken away somewhat when Serena feels inevitable.

This isn't to knock Serena, who's a great champion but these last two majors on the WTA side have been incredibly compelling since it feels like 15 players could win.

I'm convinced Serena would get a Calendar Slam this year if she didn't get knocked up.  The ladies who beat her last year aren't playing as well this year.  Hilariously, one of them is now World #1.

I agree Marco - And I loved watching Konta/Halep - It was a great match..!!!

Hate that a player can become #1 off an early loss in a major...

I agree it's odd but it's a quirk of the ranking system. I think of it as impressive she got to Number 1 even with an early Wimbledon loss. I also think of it more as a credit to her US Open Final, Cincinnati title, French Open SF, SF in Indian Wells/Miami and 3 premier titles. It feels more justified when you think of all her 52 weeks though obviously you prefer a player get the ranking like Kerber did last yr rather than backing in but it's still a credit to her.

True she has earned it - And she was taken out by a very hot player - She should do well at US Open with the #1 ranking and her great serve..!!!

Definitely agree, atm I feel like she has to be the favorite, I feel like her game is best suited for hardcourt. She'll have a lot of pressure to hang onto the number one ranking this summer though, defending champion points in Cincinnati and Final points in NY!

early excerpt from my yearend writeup:

Muguruza gave us quite a scare with her extended sophomore slump.  After claiming victory at last year’s French Open, she did not make another final until Wimbledon this year.  But the wait was worth it and she delivered a second slam.  It was her second final at the big W, having lost to Serena in 2015.

Many observers seemed ready to anoint Muguruza the new #1 and felt that victory at the US Open would cement her status.  Although she disappointed the hopeful, at the end of the year she still looks like the de facto #1, despite a computer ranking of #2.  Even the WTA awarded her its Player of the Year award.

So what can we realistically expect from her in 2018?  Well, establishing a strong position as the dominant #1 is not what I expect.  For one thing, Serena Williams may be back in the mix.  And secondly, nothing in Muguruza’s history suggests that she is going to dominate.  She’s only won 5 titles total in her career, and this is the first year in which she’s won as many as two.  This is not the resume of a dominant #1.

However it might be reasonable to think she could win another slam next year.  She’s only once made the quarters of a hard court slam (this year’s Aus), so victory at the Australian or US Open is probably unlikely.  But she’s been considerably more successful at the French and Wimbledon, so victory at either or both of those tournaments might be a reasonable expectation.  Probably not both, however, since she seems to space out her wins. 

If Serena makes a slow return or no return to the tour, I could see Muguruza having another year as default #1, since none of the other established players have been making a strong case for being considered the best.  Those established players would include the likes of Halep, Pliskova, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Venus Williams, Radwanska, Konta, Kuznetsova, and Kerber. 

On the other hand, Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka, and of course Serena, could storm back and make strong plays for the top spot.  The other, and perhaps more exciting, threat for #1 could come from a young up and comer like Ostapenko, Kasatkina, an injury-free Belinda Bencic, or maybe Barty, or someone slightly older like Svitolina, Keys, Stephens, or Garcia.  If we have another year of parity, Muguruza could again be #1.  I would like to see her make a stronger, more consistent campaign for the top, but she will do what she can do.

2017 Supreme Jedi, 2017 Lord Vader, 2017 Chivalrous Wookie, 2015 Naboo Champion

I honestly think Sloane could make a play if she stays healthy for an entire year.  Not only is she dangerous enough to win Slams (obviously), but she seems much more consistent than Muguruza.